Thread: who else likes Indie Rock?

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keithlaw View Post
    I can't believe we're getting a season 3
    I feel lucky because I didn't watch the show until last year. I don't have the 25 year wait to suffer through.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Springtime Carnivore. Think they're new? The music reminds me of the sound off the first Cults album, but the woman's vocals seem pretty distinct.

Could be one to watch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Really itching to go to this festival:
    http://www.osheaga.com/lineup/artists/#lineup

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    [MENTION=114]Knucksie[/MENTION]

What are you listening to these days?

Have you heard the new Tame Impala album? I'm loving it -- from top to bottom -- a mix of Caribou/The Zombies/Gary Numan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    [MENTION=114]Knucksie[/MENTION]

What are you listening to these days?
    Went for a lot of stuff from last year:
    Got the Springtime Carnivore, War on Drugs, Warpaint, Alvvays and Yumi Zouma.

Got the new Courtney Barnett and will probably pull the trigger on the latest Best Coast. Saw Real Estate & Spoon live this summer.

Have you heard the new Tame Impala album?
    XMU really pushes them. I liked one tune from the last one. The John Lennon vocals have been toned down to sound more natural. So, it might be worth listening with open ears.
    Last edited by Knucksie; 07-28-2015 at 01:26 PM.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    How do you like them? I just downloaded their début album last week on a friend's suggestion.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    How do you like them? I just downloaded their début album last week on a friend's suggestion.
    Really like Alvvays, but don't think that they have anything else as good as "Adult Diversion." They're going to be in Montreal, this weekend, for that Osheaga Fest. Will end up regretting not going. This fella, who owns a shop where I do most of my business (trading in used CD's) had seen them locally, opening for the Decemberists. Spoke very well of them, and was only familiar with them prior by ordering my disc!

Carles.buzz gave them a big push too. He thinks they're "auth."
    Last edited by Knucksie; 07-28-2015 at 07:18 PM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts

Got the new Courtney Barnett and will probably pull the trigger on the latest Best Coast. Saw Real Estate & Spoon live this summer.

XMU really pushes them. I liked one tune from the last one. The John Lennon vocals have been toned down to sound more natural. So, it might be worth listening with open ears.
    I didn't like their last album -- heavy on the spacey psych -- but found this go-around quite a departure.

I'm familiar with War on Drugs and Best Coast. Of course Real Estate and Spoon, will have to check out the others. I've fallen heavily into EDM this summer but have been trying to get back to Indie (preferably still mixed with Electronica) roots.

BTW, I went to Osheaga the past two years and would have gone again this year but am headed abroad for a while and couldn't make it fit into my schedule. Parc Jean Drapeau is really one of the most perfect spots for a festival in North America.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    I'm familiar with War on Drugs and Best Coast. Of course Real Estate and Spoon, will have to check out the others. I've fallen heavily into EDM this summer but have been trying to get back to Indie (preferably still mixed with Electronica) roots.
    Further proof that Chillwave is done:

We'll get official confirmation when something new from Washed Out/Ernest Green comes out. That Neon Indian track is my nomination for 2015 summer song. Just seems right with the sun beating down.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Further proof that Chillwave is done:

We'll get official confirmation when something new from Washed Out/Ernest Green comes out. That Neon Indian track is my nomination for 2015 summer song. Just seems right with the sun beating down.
    Yeah, I've been loving that track this summer too. Want more.

Did you hear the single he released on the Grand Theft Auto Soundtrack? It helps connect the dots between Era Extrana and 'Annie'.

I've traveled specifically to see Washed Out twice in Athens over the past six months -- both times completely mislead. It's just a 'DJ Set' and Ernest doesn't play ANY Washed Out or ANY electronica music. Last time it was some funky disco beats, not worth the ticket cost. People were pissed and screaming at him 'play your own music!' He didn't even acknowledge them.

The last Chillwavey thing I've heard is the latest New Division.

But, as you can hear, not nearly the same as Alan Palomo or Ernest in their heydays.
    Last edited by Hawk; 07-28-2015 at 07:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Yeah, I've been loving that track this summer too. Want more.

Did you hear the single he released on the Grand Theft Auto Soundtrack? It helps connect the dots between Era Extrana and 'Annie'.

Nice track. The next full length will be worth waiting for.

I've traveled specifically to see Washed Out twice in Athens over the past six months -- both times completely mislead. It's just a 'DJ Set' and Ernest doesn't play ANY Washed Out or ANY electronica music. Last time it was some funky disco beats, not worth the ticket cost. People were pissed and screaming at him 'play your own music!' He didn't even acknowledge them.

The last Chillwavey thing I've heard is the latest New Division.
    About 2 years ago, there was a new band, called Small Black, who caught my ears. They're sort of the a leap from Chillwave to Dream Pop. Being a big fan of Wild Nothing made it easy to like them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Alright—so a few of you guys obviously know a lot more about "contemporary" music than I do. It reminds me of my relationship with "new" music when I was 16-20; but around the latter edge of that range (so about eight years ago), I simply stopped pursuing "new" music. This was partially because driving stopped being my primary more of transportation; partially because I started listening to more "old" music (opera; 1920s–1930s blues and folk; 1940s–1950s country/western; doo-wop; hard-bop; late 60s/early-70s funk) that was nonetheless novel to me; and partially because who the hell knows why (probably laziness?).

So, those of you seem like you know what you're talking about ([MENTION=114]Knucksie[/MENTION], [MENTION=266]Hawk[/MENTION]), or anyone else who thinks they know what they're talking about: what are three "contemporary" must-listens (album and/or artist) that you'd suggest?
    Last edited by jpx7; 07-31-2015 at 06:30 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (08-01-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    I don't know Indie rock from Americana but I have recently been listening to a lot of Jason Isbell and Todd Snider. Here's a poem/tirade Todd Snider tweeted about Jason Isbell's new album reaching #1 on the Country charts. I found it hilarious.

Todd Snider
    July 29 at 11:31pm ˇ

THE WAR IS OVER - A PRONOUNCEMENT FROM THE GOVERNMENT OF AIMLESS INC.

JASON ISBELL HAS THE NUMBER ONE RECORD
    ON THE BILLBOARD
    COUNTRY MUSIC CHARTS

I REPEAT
    JASON ISBELL HAS THE NUMBER ONE RECORD ON THE BILLBOARD
    COUNTRY MUSIC CHART
    AND
    NEVER THE LESS HE IS STILL
    GATHERING CRITICAL ACCLAIM
    TO RIVAL THAT OF ANYONE IN ANY GENRE
    EVER

AND THAT MY FRIENDS
    AT LEAST FOR ME
    IS THAT

THATS WHAT WEVE BEEN WAITING FOR

THATS THE THING
    "nashville"
    WOULDNT LET ANYBODY DO.

WELL SOMEBODY DID IT

AND NOBODY STOPPED HIM

WITHOUT CHANGING HIS MUSIC
    AND WITHOUT CHANGING HIS CLOTHING
    JASON ISBELL

DID IT.

no more excuses folks
    no more blaming music row
    no more midnight good time picking parties
    being ruined by the guy or girl who has to bring up
    how uncool pop country music has become
    o.k. nikki lane?
    can we all get back to picking now?

what ever country music has become
    how ever much you dislike bro country

ITS IS NO LONGER
    STANDING IN THE DOOR WAY
    OR
    BLOCKING UP THE HALLS

NO MORE CALLS
    WE HAVE WINNER
    JASON ISBELL SAVED COUNTRY MUSIC
    IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD
    SO LET IT BE WRITTEN
    SO LET IT BE DONE

AND NOW
    ITS JUST LIKE YOKO ONO MADE JOHN SAY TO ALL OF US

THE WAR IS OVER IF YOU WANT IT

LET US REJOICE
    IN PEACE
    IN THE NAME OF BROCEPHUS
    AMEN

written with authority by tommy noble
    president
    aimless inc.

@jasonisbell Thirty Tigers ‪#‎jasonisbell‬

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Isbell is good, but I like his work with Drive-By Truckers better than his solo stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Good post!

Alright—so a few of you guys obviously know a lot more about "contemporary" music than I do. It reminds me of my relationship with "new" music when I was 16-20; but around the latter edge of that range (so about eight years ago), I simply stopped pursuing "new" music.
    This is normal probably for most people. They identify mostly with the music that they grew up on, generally teen years/early 20's.

This was partially because driving stopped being my primary more of transportation; partially because I started listening to more "old" music (opera; 1920s–1930s blues and folk; 1940s–1950s country/western; doo-wop; hard-bop; late 60s/early-70s funk) that was nonetheless novel to me; and partially because who the hell knows why (probably laziness?).
    It definitely requires effort. That's why Sirius XM is worth paying for the service. Granted, XMU is getting more restricted in their playlists, and eliminating songs after being out more than a few months. Like you, I go backwards as well, because of being an audiophile. That could include jazz. Since you mentioned hard bop, got Miles Davis - Complete Blue Note recordings on Blu Ray audio just last week and then Joe Walsh - So What on Audio Fidelity SACD just yesterday. So, there's a lot of excellent hi rez music being released. It's definitely more likely that Sinatra or Nat King Cole will be playing over Saturday dinner than Arcade Fire!

So, those of you seem like you know what you're talking about (@<a href="http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/member.php?u=114" target="_blank">Knucksie</a>, @<a href="http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/member.php?u=266" target="_blank">Hawk</a>), or anyone else who thinks they know what they're talking about: what are three "contemporary" must-listens (album and/or artist) that you'd suggest?
    Will just rattle off a list of favorites. So, it may or may not be construed as a recommendation. When it comes to music, people can like/dislike whatever they wish. If they like some of my stuff, excellent. If not, that's fine too. (Interestingly, the neighbors tend to like my choices.)

Personal favorites are: Wild Nothing, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Cults, Diiv, St. Vincent and Small Black. (Have seen all but Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Small Black perform live.) Think that Real Estate is a bit overrated, but really love lead guitarist Mat Mondanaille's side project, Ducktails.

For websites, Pitchfork and if you don't mind his style, Carles.buzz (formerly of Hipster Runoff).

Here's another new tune that seems nice for summer:

One caution, though, is that quite of few of these new artists put out one great track and the remainder of their material fails to approach that standard. Over 4 years ago, there was a group, called Givers from Louisiana. (Even Neil Young praised them in his book, more than once.) That song, "Up Up Up" was a killer track. Some local in the comments section posted that it was just one song. He was right! Same for Sleeper Agent with "Waves."
    Last edited by Knucksie; 08-01-2015 at 03:09 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-01-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    That could include jazz. Since you mentioned hard bop, got Miles Davis - Complete Blue Note recordings on Blu Ray audio just last week
    Davis is obviously a giant. I'm a big Lee Morgan fan, as well.

Personal favorites are: Wild Nothing, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Cults, Diiv, St. Vincent and Small Black. (Have seen all but Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Small Black perform live.) Think that Real Estate is a bit overrated, but really love lead guitarist Mat Mondanaille's side project, Ducktails.
    Familiar with the Yeah Yeah Yeahs; already a fan of St. Vincent. Any specific first-listen albums you'd recommend for the other names you listed?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Familiar with the Yeah Yeah Yeahs; already a fan of St. Vincent. Any specific first-listen albums you'd recommend for the other names you listed?
    Gladly. The last Yeah Yeah Yeahs was recorded really well. Came out about 2 years ago, called Mosquito. "Sacrilege" was something new/different for them.

For Wild Nothing, Nocturne is the finest effort, but there's some great stuff before and after.

Their signature tune, "Shadow":

It really gets under my skin (in the best possible way).

This version did not appear on the album.

Diiv are on the same label as Wild Nothing. They only have one full length out, called Oshin. Maybe a new album by end of the year.

Their signature tune, "Doused":

The Diiv tune is good at high volume too.

For Ducktails, The Flower Lane. At the CD release party in Brooklyn, the whole album was performed in its entirety. Sound must not have good, because the performance was off. It's unique, because practically everybody, who was involved in the initial recording, appeared at the concert.

This isn't the best way to experience it, but including it anyway:

This is the tune, which first grabbed my attention:

The album features a lot of different styles. This will help explain my preference of this over Real Estate, who don't vary in style much, if at all. Had a very positive encounter with Matt Mondanaille after the Real Estate concert too.

Cults debut is self-titled. It's girl group retro vocals with a lot of reverb on the voice & guitar. Saw them twice. Love them.

Think that Small Black only has one album out, Limits of Desire. Here's a sample:

(The album cover wasn't my idea!)

"Paradise," featuring Michelle Williams. Believe she also directed the vid. Personal bias: some of this was filmed near my hometown. You'll recognize Niagara Falls.
    Last edited by Knucksie; 08-22-2015 at 08:12 AM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

Hawk (08-01-2015), jpx7 (08-01-2015)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    A tough order, but I chose three that I view as having heavily influenced their respective genres as well as having acted, at one time or another, as the soundtrack to my own life:

1) Washed Out - Life of Leisure (Chillwave/Electronica -- no words, really ... one of my favorite albums of all-time ... both ethereal and profoundly grounding)
    2) Hot Chip - One Life Stand (British Electropop -- maybe a bit kitsch, but one of the first real blends of Alternative Euro Pop and Electronica)
    3) Caribou - Our Love (Dance Psychedelic Alternative Electronic ... if you like him, then you've got to listen to Swim, and Andorra, in order -- incredible, versatile, constantly evolving)

Honorable mentions:
    Gorillaz - Demon Days
    Memory Tapes - Seek Magic
    Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest
    Neon Indian - Psychic Chasms
    Calvin Harris - Ready For The Weekend
    Tycho - Dive

(Chose a 10 year window for 'contemporary' -- but most are from within the past ~5 years).
    Last edited by Hawk; 08-01-2015 at 07:42 PM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-02-2015), Knucksie (08-02-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    A tough order, but I chose three that I view as having heavily influenced their respective genres as well as having acted, at one time or another, as the soundtrack to my own life:

1) Washed Out - Life of Leisure (Chillwave/Electronica -- no words, really ... one of my favorite albums of all-time ... both ethereal and profoundly grounding)
    2) Hot Chip - One Life Stand (British Electropop -- maybe a bit kitsch, but one of the first real blends of Alternative Euro Pop and Electronica)
    3) Caribou - Our Love (Dance Psychedelic Alternative Electronic ... if you like him, then you've got to listen to Swim, and Andorra, in order -- incredible, versatile, constantly evolving)

Honorable mentions:
    Gorillaz - Demon Days
    Memory Tapes - Seek Magic
    Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest
    Neon Indian - Psychic Chasms
    Calvin Harris - Ready For The Weekend
    Tycho - Dive

(Chose a 10 year window for 'contemporary' -- but most are from within the past ~5 years).
    Already really enjoy Demon Days, but that album of course just barely fits into your ten-year umbrella. I'll start investigating the other suggestions, though, once I've processed [MENTION=114]Knucksie[/MENTION]'s gracious list.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (08-02-2015)

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Late on this, but Sufjan's latest album is incredible. His best yet IMO.

"Sparks," the track off Beach House's upcoming album, is also fantastic and makes me excited to see what they have in store.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to holden For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-08-2015)