Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would we trade Colon/Dickey/Garcia if we were hovering around .500?

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts

Would we trade Colon/Dickey/Garcia if we were hovering around .500?

One of the reasons I really liked the addition of these three guys is all can be moved easily with their contracts if they are playing decently... but I'm curious if Coppy would do that if we were hovering around .500 looking like a fringy WC team.

Clearly if we somehow surpass all expectations and are headed to the playoffs we aren't a seller and conversely if we have a terrible season these guys can be moved if playing well..... but if we are just kind of hanging around -- but clearly not a strong contender -- is Coppy looking to move these guys? Is it entirely dependent on how Wisler/Blair/Newcomb ect... are pitching?

Given the price of pitching at the deadline last year, I think being able to flip Colon/Garcia/Dickey at the deadline would be a great way to continue building the system and fueling the rebuild.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I certainly hope he would. If at least 1 of the young guys you listed isn't ready to push at least 1 of the old guys out of the rotation by the trade deadline the Braves are in serious trouble long term.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-20-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I wouldn't expect much of a return for any of those guys outside of Garcia, but even that is a stretch given his durability issues in the 2nd half of seasons. none of those guys really scream playoff rotation and our return would be in line with some of the returns we got last year. (lottery ticket types)... I hope that at least two of our 'almost, should be' ready guys will push us to make that decision easier. Folty/Wisler/Blair/Newk/Sims/ even Weigel could all push these guys out.

how about this scenario.. say the Braves are 10 games under .500 but our young guys are pushing to be in the rotation. Do you just hang onto these older retreads and trade JT.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Is "depends" too snarky an answer?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Is "depends" too snarky an answer?
    nope, it does depend on a whole lot of things we can't predict.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    i think we'll be buyers at the deadline even if under .500...with the idea being to strengthen the team in 2018 and beyond...that kind of strategy could include moving guys like Garcia and Colon for players under contractual control for longer

i think we will make a big trade at the deadline for either a third baseman or starting pitcher...im talking about a major leaguer not a prospect
    Last edited by nsacpi; 12-20-2016 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Hovering around .500? No. With the 2 wild cards being around .500 means your close to a playoff spot. Might be unlikely but a relatively young team with a deep farm system should pick up steam late in the season. The Royals a few years ago were Hovering around .500 and most people thought they should sell, they didn't, the team got hot and they went to the world series 2 years in a row.

We might be in the position to trade a starter anyways. Colon and Dickey are good bets time be healthy despite their age. Out of all the pitchers we have at AAA I bet a few of them knock the doors down and force a move.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    I think we need to trade Garcia at the trade deadline almost regardless of our record due to injury concerns. Colon and Dickey may be worth holding on to if our younguns aren't doing well.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    i think we'll be buyers at the deadline even if under .500...with the idea being to strengthen the team in 2018 and beyond...that kind of strategy could include moving guys like Garcia and Colon for players under contractual control for longer

i think we will make a big trade at the deadline for either a third baseman or starting pitcher...im talking about a major leaguer not a prospect
    I agree. I think we'll use July to set ourselves up for 2018 and beyond no matter what our record is. We'll be sellers of guys like Colon/Dickey/Garcia/ Adonis/Arodys/Kroll/Markakis/Ender as theoretically they will all have replacements. We'll also look to buy a 3B/C/SP/RF that will set us up and also look to stock the farm system for the next offseason.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    One of the reasons I really liked the addition of these three guys is all can be moved easily with their contracts if they are playing decently... but I'm curious if Coppy would do that if we were hovering around .500 looking like a fringy WC team.

Clearly if we somehow surpass all expectations and are headed to the playoffs we aren't a seller and conversely if we have a terrible season these guys can be moved if playing well..... but if we are just kind of hanging around -- but clearly not a strong contender -- is Coppy looking to move these guys? Is it entirely dependent on how Wisler/Blair/Newcomb ect... are pitching?

Given the price of pitching at the deadline last year, I think being able to flip Colon/Garcia/Dickey at the deadline would be a great way to continue building the system and fueling the rebuild.

Have to think it's entirely about that - and you just kinda have to figure that there's next to no chance we see any of those guys with the big club before June at the earliest.

While I do think that Hart and Coppy are just providing lip service when they say Folty's actually in danger of not making the rotation out of camp, I do think that when they've said those guys have to pitch better if they don't like their situations that he means for a significant period. No more going back down for a couple starts and coming back as soon as they look a little better. Probably at least 10-12 really solid starts before they'll even consider trading the first veteran in front of them. No more 4-5 BB outings where they squeeze by without getting pounded. If they're not throwing strikes (quality strikes, mind you), they'll keep nibbling in Gwinnett.

While you're not going to "break the bank" in a trade for any of the vets, I think the return for them just might surprise some people. It's tough to find guys like Colon and Dickey who can absolutely suck up innings in July and August when lots of Pitchers are going through dead-arm phases or dealing with various nicks and maladies. Adding one of those guys when your rotation has injury-prone guys or younger arms you'd like to be careful with can really make a difference for a contender. Someone like that would allow Houston to give McCullers or Keuchel an entire month off (without having to start someone's clock) while saving their bullets for the playoffs. The same could be said for the Gnats when they inevitably have to shut Strasburg down for a while because he can't handle the heat and he needs to be skipped a few times (not that I can see Coppy trading any of them to Washington to help bail them out).

Of course Garcia's an entirely different animal, but who couldn't use a lefty that can perform like a #2 or strong #3 when he's healthy and on - especially if we're willing to eat some of the $$$ to upgrade the prospect return?
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-20-2016 at 01:59 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Trade everybody!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-20-2016)

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post

Buster Olney posted an article on ESPN yesterday saying that he thinks the Orioles should begin shopping Machado. Man, I would love to see him playing third for the Braves...

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawkchop View Post
    Buster Olney posted an article on ESPN yesterday saying that he thinks the Orioles should begin shopping Machado. Man, I would love to see him playing third for the Braves...
    I would too, but the prospects it would take to trade for him along with the 30M a year we'd have to pay to extend him aint worth it. That's a $300M contract waiting to happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I wouldn't expect much of a return for any of those guys outside of Garcia, but even that is a stretch given his durability issues in the 2nd half of seasons.
    Certainly not 'major' returns, but if the price of pitching is even just 80% of what it was last summer, a healthy Colon/Garcia is going to net a very solid return if the Braves want to go that route.

Harrell/Alvarez was enough to bring back Demerritte; I'd certainly argue that if Colon/Dickey/Garcia pitch up to their capabilities and stay healthy they are going to have more value than Lucas Harrell.

I doubt all three stay healthy given their age and history, but if they do - we have options.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I could see moving veterans earlier than that if they are effective and the braves have younger players pitching well.

I wouldn't expect huge returns.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    This "I hope" is part of their strategy. Signing these guy in hopes at least one of the three goes all "Rich Hill" on us. If we are a playoff team...great. If not...a few young guys should be ready and we can add to the farm. It should be win-win.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Accidentally opened mlb at bat app just now and the latest video is on Colon's intense workout.....
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    What is the over/under on the total number of pounds Kemp and Colon lose in the off-season?

What is the over/under on the total number of pounds they gain back once they report?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Accidentally opened mlb at bat app just now and the latest video is on Colon's intense workout.....
    My colon is getting an intense workout of late too.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    My colon is getting an intense workout of late too.
    Not sure how to respond to this.