3,353 Posts
    Not bad

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    It would be real amusing if the draft that all Brave fans liked the most of the last 3 years ended up being the worst.

Such a crap shoot. I'm happy that we got highly regarded guys and I obviously always defer to the Braves scouts but the consensus is worrying me around here!
    Of course it's all a crap shoot. Wright's arm could fall off in a year and maybe Waters peaked in high school. One never knows about the development arcs of these guys and injuries can happen. But the guys they drafted are consensus top-drawer guys.

I was worried they were going to take Hiura and sign him well below slot and push those savings toward Tristan Beck in the second round. Maybe it's just me, but I don't really cotton to drafting a guy who will need surgery and a guy who has missed the entire season with back issues with one's first two picks.

I just read that Garrett Mitchell has Type 1 diabetes. I wonder if that scares a lot of teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    What a great start to the draft. I am stunned that Wright was still there at #5, and so glad the Braves didn't play the slot money game.

Now I hope some high ceiling hitters happen to be BPA when it's our turn the rest of the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndica...15312.amp.html

Draft grades. Braves are the only team to get an A+

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    They went for ceiling their first two picks. No complaints.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Anyone got a nice write up on Waters and his profile they could link? Thanks.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Love the Wright pick. He might not be here as soon as some college arms but the fact that he has some ceiling left is more than enough of a tradeoff. He'll still probably hit Atlanta before Anderson though he'll probably be a bit behind the crop of Allard and Soroka.

Waters I don't really know enough about. I've read only read a few scouting reports. The only concern I have (other than the inherent risk in prep players) is that the reports rank all of his tools as above average and none as really excellent. Sometimes guys like this end up as kind of tweeners. Their defense isn't good enough for center but their bats aren't good enough for a corner spot. But to put that kind of thing on him now is ridiculous. It's way too early. There are any number of ways he could develop.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Anyone got a nice write up on Waters and his profile they could link? Thanks.
    Bats: S
    Class: HS
    Height: 6'2"
    Approx. Pick Value: $1.7M
    Throws: R
    DOB: 12/30/98
    Weight: 185
    Part of yet another deep crop of Georgia prep outfielders, Waters solidified his top-two-rounds candidacy with a strong performance on the high school showcase circuit. He started by showing some of the best exit velocity at the Perfect Game National in June, and he finished by making repeated loud contact at the WWBA World Championships in October. This spring, he won Gatorade's state player of the year award and led Etowah to the state class 7-A championship. A switch-hitter, Waters demonstrates more power from the left side of the plate. From the right side, he peppers the gaps with line drives. He has good feel for the barrel, has no problems handling quality fastballs and has the potential to hit for average and power. A good athlete, Waters has plus speed and uses it to steal bases and play a solid center field. He also has plus arm strength that would fit nicely in right field if he's needed there. He has committed to Georgia, where his older brother Zach pitched one season.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to IslandBrave For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (06-13-2017)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    What time do things pick back up today?
    12:30

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach_Chris View Post
    12:30
    Rds 3-10 today.
    Ivermectin Man

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I HATE the slot money. It allows players to play the system. Instead of a slot assignment, it should be a capped amount. So a guy taken in the 5th round can't ask for big money. He can only get the max of what the cap allows for that pick.

How crazy of a system is it, for a guy to be taken in the top 10 and refuse to sign....and then enter the draft another year. That is NOT fair to teams.

Most other drafts...you go into the draft...that's it. You better sign, because you can't enter another year. That's fair and don't even get me into teams unable to trade their own picks. The MLB draft is so strange.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I HATE the slot money. It allows players to play the system. Instead of a slot assignment, it should be a capped amount. So a guy taken in the 5th round can't ask for big money. He can only get the max of what the cap allows for that pick.

How crazy of a system is it, for a guy to be taken in the top 10 and refuse to sign....and then enter the draft another year. That is NOT fair to teams.

Most other drafts...you go into the draft...that's it. You better sign, because you can't enter another year. That's fair and don't even get me into teams unable to trade their own picks. The MLB draft is so strange.
    Can't give the team to much power either. What is the difference though. Isn't NFL rules where the guy doesn't sign within a year he becomes a free agent. MLB at least protects the team by giving them that draft pick again the next year. Other drafts that team is just SOL

Edit. Looks like NFL that team controls you forever. Interesting. I know jack about other sports drafts. As you can see.
    Last edited by bravesfanMatt; 06-13-2017 at 08:41 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-13-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

Don't often hear people say that drafts give too much power to players.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-13-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts

Most other leagues pay their draft picks significantly more than what the MLB allows. 90 percent of the guys drafted will get a signing bonus of like 25k or less and get paid about $500/week (or less) during the minor league season. No other league has more than like 7 rounds either.

The current system is so overwhelmingly in favor of the franchise.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-13-2017)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    It would be real amusing if the draft that all Brave fans liked the most of the last 3 years ended up being the worst.

Such a crap shoot. I'm happy that we got highly regarded guys and I obviously always defer to the Braves scouts but the consensus is worrying me around here!
    Why are you turning into Enscheff all of a sudden? You're being pessimistic when you're normally a supreme optimist. What gives bro?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Why are you turning into Enscheff all of a sudden? You're being pessimistic when you're normally a supreme optimist. What gives bro?
    I've already etched a HOF plaque for Wright. I'm posibrave till the day I die.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Per Bridges they are going right by their draft board... BPA is the strategy. Second time I've heard him say it
    Ivermectin Man

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Was out all last night, so still catching up.....

Love what the Braves did yesterday, even though I probably wasn't as high on Wright as some others, there's enough intelligent people who really like him that I'm sold there.

One of the reasons I was on the Hasley-Homer-Hype-Train, was his safety, I felt there was a very reasonable chance he would be at least a decent player. Wright offers that same type of safety (as safe as a pitcher can get anyway) as Hasely while also having a higher upside. This is a guy that's got a better chance than just about anybody in this draft of at least being a decent ML starter and if he's able to develop into a #3 or #4? That's a win, of course he could also be more than that.

Don't know a ton about Waters, but love the tools, switch hitter with power potential and defensive ability. Can't argue that at all! Baseball America had him at #23 on their big board.

Off the top of my head, I'd probably start Wright around #5 in our system and Waters ~12 (in the tier with Riley/Pache/TD)

I admit that might be low on Wright, but I love the top two of Albies/Acuna, Soroka is straight beasting in AA right now (8.27 K/9, 1.94 BB/9) and Allard is at least holding his own there, both 19 years old. I'm higher on Newk than a lot of other people.

Albies
    Acuna
    Soroka
    Allard
    Newcomb
    Wright
    Maitan
    Wiegel
    Gohara

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Is Waters a guy that's going to need much overslot at #41?

I'm assuming Wright will get most if not all his slot value.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Per Bridges they are going right by their draft board... BPA is the strategy. Second time I've heard him say it
    They said that last year too. I don't know if that is true or not but they said it.

We know they will take a run on college seniors at some point so we know it will never truely be the BPA.