Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OPENING DAY ROSTER 2019 (including ILs)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

OPENING DAY ROSTER 2019 (including ILs)

2019 BRAVES OPENING DAY ROSTER1

PITCHERS

63 Jesse Biddle
    51 Shane Carle
    26 Mike Foltynewicz (IL)
    54 Max Fried
    45 Kevin Gausman (IL)
    64 Luke Jackson
    33 A.J. Minter (IL)
    15 Sean Newcomb
    56 Darren O'Day (IL)
    67 Wes Parsons
    61 Chad Sobotka
    49 Julio Teheran
    -- Josh Tomlin
    48 Jonny Venters
    38 Arodys Vizcaino
    66 Bryse Wilson
    65 Kyle Wright

CATCHERS
    25 Tyler Flowers
    16 Brian McCann

INFIELDERS
    1 Ozzie Albies
    17 Johan Camargo
    20 Josh Donaldson
    5 Freddie Freeman
    7 Dansby Swanson

OUTFIELDERS
    13 Ronald Acuna
    8 Charlie Culberson
    11 Ender Inciarte
    22 Nick Markakis
    14 Matt Joyce

(Total: 40)
    Last edited by rico43; 03-28-2019 at 10:45 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-19-2019), buck75 (10-09-2018), JohnAdcox (02-21-2019), jpx7 (02-19-2019)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Early moves: Sanchez, McCreery, Parsons promoted as part of the 40-man (eligible for playoffs, FWIW).

Miguel Socolovich has opted for free agency. We hardly knew ye. Not sure when the official list of FAs comes out.
    Do we have any highly regarded prospects who will need to be added this year to prevent rule 5 poaching? I haven't kept up with it as much as I did last year. I don't think we do considering most of our highly regarded guys have been in the system for less than 4 years, but I could be wrong. Weigel maybe?

Edit: Just looked it up and we still need to add Alex Jackson, Weigel, Ynoa, and Demeritte if we want to protect them. I'm not really worried that much about Ynoa and Demeritte, but I could see a team taking a shot at Jackson or Weigel if we fail to protect them.
    Last edited by BeanieAntics; 10-03-2018 at 05:02 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-21-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Do we have any highly regarded prospects who will need to be added this year to prevent rule 5 poaching? I haven't kept up with it as much as I did last year. I don't think we do considering most of our highly regarded guys have been in the system for less than 4 years, but I could be wrong. Weigel maybe?

Edit: Just looked it up and we still need to add Alex Jackson, Weigel, Ynoa, and Demeritte if we want to protect them. I'm not really worried that much about Ynoa and Demeritte, but I could see a team taking a shot at Jackson or Weigel if we fail to protect them.
    Weigel will undoutebly be protected. Jackson has a good chance to be if he's not traded. I don't see Demeritte being kept around with Culberson and Camargo around the next couple of years at least. Nobody would select Ynoa

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Weigel will undoutebly be protected. Jackson has a good chance to be if he's not traded. I don't see Demeritte being kept around with Culberson and Camargo around the next couple of years at least. Nobody would select Ynoa
    Somebody will select Ynoa. The rest I agree.

Ynoa showed signs of coming on at the end of this season. he has a big arm. A team would take him and put him out as a reliever and see if he could survive as a 2 pitch long man on a bad team.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Somebody will select Ynoa. The rest I agree.

Ynoa showed signs of coming on at the end of this season. he has a big arm. A team would take him and put him out as a reliever and see if he could survive as a 2 pitch long man on a bad team.
    Ynoa hasn't made it above low-A. I severely doubt he gets selected. Carrying that kind of guy on a 40-man isn't beneficial.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Ynoa hasn't made it above low-A. I severely doubt he gets selected. Carrying that kind of guy on a 40-man isn't beneficial.
    Carrying "that kind of guy" can certainly be beneficial - especially if you expect several arms further up the ladder to be traded or cut loose (which I'm sure most do). There's no doubt someone will take him, and creating room for him will be easy - you just don't protect Sanchez. There's less chance that someone poaches Sanchez, and Ynoa certainly has higher upside.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    I don’t know, I tend to think any guy with a live enough arm might be poached and last-manned in a bullpen—it’s definitely a different calculus, relative to minor-league level achieved, than with position players. The question then becomes: is Ynoa’s arm live enough to be, more likely than not, drafted; and, if so, how to weigh that against other forty-man needs.
    Last edited by jpx7; 10-08-2018 at 02:27 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-08-2018), Jaw (10-09-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Carrying "that kind of guy" can certainly be beneficial - especially if you expect several arms further up the ladder to be traded or cut loose (which I'm sure most do). There's no doubt someone will take him, and creating room for him will be easy - you just don't protect Sanchez. There's less chance that someone poaches Sanchez, and Ynoa certainly has higher upside.
    there is definitely doubt someone would take him. we got him for very little despite his big arm. he's pitched well but hasn't dominated. i think there are a good amount of guys just like him.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    there is definitely doubt someone would take him. we got him for very little despite his big arm. he's pitched well but hasn't dominated. i think there are a good amount of guys just like him.
    With as much of the league having adopted the "contend or tank" strategy that's en vogue these days, there's a very good chance someone picks him up and tucks him away in their pen as jpx7 and Harry suggest - he's still young enough that wasting a year of development like that for a rebuilding team wouldn't necessarily be disastrous.

While we got him for "very little", a tanking team would get him for nothing if AA doesn't protect him. We spent two years using a roster spot to steal Winkler from the Rockies - given the number of guys that are likely to come off that roster this winter (Brach, possibly Freeman, possibly both Sanchezes, Duda, possibly Julio, Flaherty, Adams, Tucker, possibly Zook), holding onto Ynoa for another year considering the flashes he's shown certainly wouldn't be wasting a spot - especially now that Soroka, Touki, Allard, and Wright already have spots.

With the international penalties about to kick in in full, taking it really slow with Ynoa, Tarnok, and Vodnik (among others) makes a lot of sense as AA looks for arms to step in to fill that gap in 3-4 years.
    Last edited by clvclv; 10-09-2018 at 12:21 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-09-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Ynoa was signed in 2014 for the 2015 season, that would give him four years of pro experience. I don't know how the international rules work in this instance, but is it signing date or professional debut that determines eligibility? At any rate, Johan Santana was on a major league roster after being drafted in the Rule 5 and he had only reached Low-A. I'm not saying Ynoa would be drafted, but if someone sees him as a worthwhile long-term gamble, he could be.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-09-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Remember when Fat Ben came here last off season and tried to show how smart he was by predicting which guys would be picked in the R5 draft? Remember when he said "the rest of the baseball world would laugh at you", whenever anyone disagreed with him? Remember him touting his "conference calls about these prospects" as if he was talking to anyone who actually knew anything?

He was wrong about every single name he mentioned. I pointed it out and he hasn't shown his bloated face around here since.

Folks suggesting Ynoa will be selected should review the pitchers taken in the last R5 draft from A ball, and how many of them stuck with their new team all season.

Hint: it doesn't happen often.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-09-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Folks suggesting Ynoa will be selected should review the pitchers taken in the last R5 draft from A ball, and how many of them stuck with their new team all season.

Hint: it doesn't happen often.
    this is what i'm saying. even if he gets selected he's probably not staying with that team all year. and i doubt anyone would take him anyways. i don't think there's a shortage of guys like him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Who is Fat Ben?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    this is what i'm saying. even if he gets selected he's probably not staying with that team all year. and i doubt anyone would take him anyways. i don't think there's a shortage of guys like him.
    There isn't a shortage of guys like Ynoa, but it only takes one organization to see him as a future contributor.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-10-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Who is Fat Ben?
    Ben Chase, he's co-editor for Call to the Pen and Tomahawk Take. He's a not as in the fold as some of the mainstream analysist, but he has solid connections. If you couldn't tell, Enscheff isn't a fan.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    There isn't a shortage of guys like Ynoa, but it only takes one organization to see him as a future contributor.
    Seeing someone “as a future contributor” is one thing...giving him a spot on the 25 man roster for a full season is another thing altogether.

Sometimes I think folks don’t quite understand how the R5 draft works.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

rico43 (11-01-2018)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Seeing someone “as a future contributor” is one thing...giving him a spot on the 25 man roster for a full season is another thing altogether.

Sometimes I think folks don’t quite understand how the R5 draft works.
    Giving him a spot on the 25 doesn't make any sense for a competing team. However, a team tanking, rebuilding and looking 3-4 years out, it would be low risk. Draft him, bring him in for ST and see if he can be a 2 pitch long reliever that you hope to build into a 3 pitch starter in 2-3 years. If you start the thought process by saying wins and losses don't matter, in fact losses are preferable, then the sanity of many decisions changes. I think many teams have seen that, with the rules like they are, you either contend or tank and rebuild. Floating around in mediocrity is wasted time.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Giving him a spot on the 25 doesn't make any sense for a competing team. However, a team tanking, rebuilding and looking 3-4 years out, it would be low risk. Draft him, bring him in for ST and see if he can be a 2 pitch long reliever that you hope to build into a 3 pitch starter in 2-3 years. If you start the thought process by saying wins and losses don't matter, in fact losses are preferable, then the sanity of many decisions changes. I think many teams have seen that, with the rules like they are, you either contend or tank and rebuild. Floating around in mediocrity is wasted time.
    Again, as I suggested earlier, go find examples of teams doing this. SD tried to stash a couple guys on the 25 man very recently. Go look at how those players worked out.

The discussion is “will Ynoa be taken?”, not “would it make sense for a losing team to take him?”.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    One downside to putting a guy like Ynoa on the 40 man too early is you can burn through those three option years before he is ready for the majors. I'd rather wait until he is ready for AA before putting him on the 40 man roster.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Ynoa was signed in 2014 for the 2015 season, that would give him four years of pro experience. I don't know how the international rules work in this instance, but is it signing date or professional debut that determines eligibility? At any rate, Johan Santana was on a major league roster after being drafted in the Rule 5 and he had only reached Low-A. I'm not saying Ynoa would be drafted, but if someone sees him as a worthwhile long-term gamble, he could be.
    obviously he *could* be drafted and kept all year. i just doubt he is. i don't think teams view him as having a ceiling high enough to do that. he's JAG. johan santana was a lefty and is more of an exception. we'll see, but i wouldn't worry too much personally.