Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ronald Acuna is a star

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I'd like to see Acuna do it on the AA stage before I call him a star.

But he'd be close to untouchable from trades if I was the GM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I'd like to see Acuna do it on the AA stage before I call him a star.

But he'd be close to untouchable from trades if I was the GM.
    Depending on what/who the trade was for and how much you believe in Ender/Mallex, that would be tough to argue. That said, neither Ender or Mallex should ever be terribly expensive to keep if you choose to (because of their skill sets), so if including Acuna gets you a legitimate, controllable "Ace" at below market value it'd be tough to call him "untouchable" for me, but how many of that type of Pitchers are out there? Archer and Quintana would qualify for me - I wouldn't include him in a deal for Gray (or really anyone with less than 4-5 years of control).

"Untouchable" probably includes Freeman, Teheran, Swanson, and Maitan to me - but Acuna's certainly in that next group with Albies IMO.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Depending on what/who the trade was for and how much you believe in Ender/Mallex, that would be tough to argue. That said, neither Ender or Mallex should ever be terribly expensive to keep if you choose to (because of their skill sets), so if including Acuna gets you a legitimate, controllable "Ace" at below market value it'd be tough to call him "untouchable" for me, but how many of that type of Pitchers are out there? Archer and Quintana would qualify for me - I wouldn't include him in a deal for Gray (or really anyone with less than 4-5 years of control).

"Untouchable" probably includes Freeman, Teheran, Swanson, and Maitan to me - but Acuna's certainly in that next group with Albies IMO.
    agree...that's why I said close.

If I could get Quitana and Acuna was the main piece I'd do it. But I don't think there are many of those players available. And I'm not likely to do a deal where he's the second piece and none where he's the third.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-12-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post
    so is this league like an advanced A ball skill level but with AAA level of age?
    I've seen it described more in line with Short Season or Low-A, so I would temper expectations a little, but it's still nice to see him excel.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I've seen it described more in line with Short Season or Low-A, so I would temper expectations a little, but it's still nice to see him excel.
    I don't know. Doing it in Rome would still be magnificent. I saw him before he got hurt. He had more of a presence than Riley did. He's going to be good. (And at the time Riley was scuffling).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I'm sure the competition is very meh in Australia but Acuna is absolutely crushing the ball.

By the end of this season Braves could have two position players in the top 10.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    2016-17 [+] 20 72 15 27 40 5 1 2 13 10 0 13 13 3 .375 .446 .556 1.001 1.64

Acuna has at least temporarily hit the magic 1.000 OPS in Australia!

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Still getting a little ahead of ourselves here.

Acuna certainly has upside - possibly "substantial" upside - but calling the competition in the ABL "meh" is being awfully nice. Matt Kennelly's hitting .313 over there this winter after all.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I'm sure the competition is very meh in Australia but Acuna is absolutely crushing the ball.

By the end of this season Braves could have two position players in the top 10.
    who?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Whatever the level, Acuna is smashing. If it's a **** type league then I am just happy he doesn't play down to the competition.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    yall are a little late boarding the acuna hype train

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Still getting a little ahead of ourselves here.

Acuna certainly has upside - possibly "substantial" upside - but calling the competition in the ABL "meh" is being awfully nice. Matt Kennelly's hitting .313 over there this winter after all.
    But is he doing it as an 18 y.o.? Folk here lose sight of age to competition

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Yeah, Kennelly would likely be hitting pretty darn well were he still in A ball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    who?
    My guess is he means Albies, but I think he'll graduate by then. If Maitan starts in Danville and absolutely tears it up, I think he could be knocking on the door to the top 10-20 soon, though.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    My guess is he means Albies, but I think he'll graduate by then. If Maitan starts in Danville and absolutely tears it up, I think he could be knocking on the door to the top 10-20 soon, though.
    One could see Acuna and Maitan being top 20 talents if they perform as expected. Acuna might have to exceed some. couple that with Swanson and Ozzie both being top 10ish talents.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    plus, see him in person. Statline scouting doesn't telling it all.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I went to last Friday's Aces game. Acuna hit the ball hard twice, once for a single back up the middle, and promptly ended up on third after a steal and throw into center. He absolutely gave his first at bat away with some swings at balls well out of the (much bigger ABL) zone. He threw a one hop dart to home on a tagging play from medium depth right that would have been an out by a MLB catcher. Looks like I missed out on Saturday's double header when he went off. He looked pretty physically advanced for a soon to be 19 year old.

Moylan is the team's pitching coach and had really positive things to say about him on the field after the game. Maybe I'll get to another game in a few weeks but it is kind of a bitch to get there from the city. MiLB type game experience and probably under 300. Me and girlfriend were two of about maybe 5 who knew Take Me Out to the Ball Game.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheesepritchard For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-19-2016), jpx7 (12-19-2016), nsacpi (12-19-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepritchard View Post
    I went to last Friday's Aces game. Acuna hit the ball hard twice, once for a single back up the middle, and promptly ended up on third after a steal and throw into center. He absolutely gave his first at bat away with some swings at balls well out of the (much bigger ABL) zone. He threw a one hop dart to home on a tagging play from medium depth right that would have been an out by a MLB catcher. Looks like I missed out on Saturday's double header when he went off. He looked pretty physically advanced for a soon to be 19 year old.

Moylan is the team's pitching coach and had really positive things to say about him on the field after the game. Maybe I'll get to another game in a few weeks but it is kind of a bitch to get there from the city. MiLB type game experience and probably under 300. Me and girlfriend were two of about maybe 5 who knew Take Me Out to the Ball Game.
    thanks...and welcome

21. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (12-19-2016)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Yeah, Kennelly would likely be hitting pretty darn well were he still in A ball.
    Really? Ok

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepritchard View Post

Were you impressed? I've heard great things about basically every aspect of his game, and this report seems pretty promising.