Thread: Potential Playoffs Move

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts

Potential Playoffs Move

I don't mean to be presumptuous, but the chances of us entering the playoffs are around 99.99%, so with that in mind...

Last year Fredi decided to sit Mac and let Ross catch in the one game wild card playoff. That turned out to be a good move, as Ross temporarily gave us the lead in that game with a home run.

So, what are the chances that BJ Upton does not start in the playoffs? The man is 7-for-73 with runners in scoring position this season. He has been absolutely terrible.

I would not be surprised if Fredi goes with Schafer or Heyward in CF come October.

What say you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    I definitely feel putting Heyward in center and Gattis in left is the way to go. Also, we need someone to take at bats away from Uggla in the post season too.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diesel For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-13-2013), JohnAdcox (08-13-2013)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    I definitely feel putting Heyward in center and Gattis in left is the way to go. Also, we need someone to take at bats away from Uggla in the post season too.
    Problem is that since June Gattis has been a worse hitter than Bossman. Unless Gattis turns it around, we're better with our current lineup. As far as Schafer goes, who knows. As it is again right now, you stick with our everyday lineup, though of course things could change come Sept and Gattis could be back to being hot.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    The plan as far as the hitters is pretty straightforward for the rest of the year. Rest some of your key guys. Split playing time in September to see who's hot and who's not.

That will determine who plays second and center. Second could be Pastornicky or Uggla. Center could be Schafer, BJ or Heyward, depending on who of BJ, Schafer, Gattis or Joey T are hitting better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    BJ has been crap all season. Gattis hit a little slump after coming back from injury. I also think pitchers are throwing him much more offspeed and Gattis was overly aggressive. I don't think there's any debate that Gattis is the much more productive hitter.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    BJ has been crap all season. Gattis hit a little slump after coming back from injury. I also think pitchers are throwing him much more offspeed and Gattis was overly aggressive. I don't think there's any debate that Gattis is the much more productive hitter.
    But again, he hasn't been since June 1. Gattis was obviously leagues better before that but remember when Francoeur came up and was amazing then settled into not being amazing? Cannot write off that being a possibility for Gattis.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Or likely would be with sufficient at bats for some adjustments.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Understand the question, but still too early. BJ could catch fire. If status quo once playoffs start, id be more in favor of starting Schafer. Love Gattis, but Schafers defense and ability to get on base and steal bases would be much more valuable IMO.

Thoughts?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    After the first month or 2, has Gattis hit better than BeeJ? If he has, has it off set the defense you lose?

Not a fan of Upton, but Im not ready to put Gattis in LF everyday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    October playing time should be weighted heavily to who is hot in August and September, not who did what in April or May.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

MURF21 (08-13-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    The thing that keeps running through my head though is our lineup was much more balanced with Gattis in it. Hes been struggling and I like Schafer out there instead of BJ or Gattis at the moment, but no question that Heyward-Upton-Freeman-Gattis-Mac-CJ-Uggla-Simmons was the lineup that sparked us. I could see Fredi going back with that one.

Its still early though and who knows who will be hot/cold/injured then.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    If I remember correctly, Schafer was already taking playing time from BJ before he got hurt. I would expect much of the same for the next 6 weeks.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,319 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunit24 View Post
    Understand the question, but still too early. BJ could catch fire. If status quo once playoffs start, id be more in favor of starting Schafer. Love Gattis, but Schafers defense and ability to get on base and steal bases would be much more valuable IMO.

Thoughts?
    Agreed. Schafer would be best hitting sixth in the lineup. He should bat in front of Uggla because Uggla takes pitches and Schafer would be able to swipe a few bases. Also, Uggla would see more fastballs with Schafer on base and that would help him considerably.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    White Sox just released Tyler Green. Would he be insurance if Simmons went down or at least a better back up than Janish in the playoffs????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Its been more than a little slump for Gattis... come on man. He has struggled since his injury until the other night when he finally had a good game. One good game doesn't break a slump. Pretty major slump.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    I'm not worried about the OF. If BJ isn't hitting come playoff time either Gattis or Schafer will get a chance. I'm really nervous about Fredi's love affair with Uggla.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Its been more than a little slump for Gattis... come on man. He has struggled since his injury until the other night when he finally had a good game. One good game doesn't break a slump. Pretty major slump.
    Yeah, he hasn't been hitting bombs or driving the ball consistently like earlier. But in the 19 games (20 hits) he has played since he came back from injury, he's hit safely in 14 of those. He's not in a major slump. Just not the superhero he was earlier. Only 4 of those 20 hits have been for extra bases, which makes it feel like he's struggling more.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Yeah, he hasn't been hitting bombs or driving the ball consistently like earlier. But in the 19 games (20 hits) he has played since he came back from injury, he's hit safely in 14 of those. He's not in a major slump. Just not the superhero he was earlier. Only 4 of those 20 hits have been for extra bases, which makes it feel like he's struggling more.
    80 PA, 77 AB, 20 H, 3 2B, 1 HR, 3BB, 13 K

.260/.288/.338

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    I disagree. I think you need to have some combination of offense and defense. So, with that said, I think you put Heyward in center, Justin in right, and then whoever is hot between Gattis/Schafer/BJ. If it's BJ then you go with a normal defensive allignment of Upton, Upton, Heyward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    I disagree. I think you need to have some combination of offense and defense. So, with that said, I think you put Heyward in center, Justin in right, and then whoever is hot between Gattis/Schafer/BJ. If it's BJ then you go with a normal defensive allignment of Upton, Upton, Heyward.
    I definitely like getting Schafer in there as well. Both he and Gattis are valuable from a bench perspective too. Just concerned about the playoffs and trotting Uggla and BJ out there. I have no confidence either will be productive against good pitching.