Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanton

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    A Stanton deal might very well be the ONLY way to get rid of Kemp. Trade Nick and you basically have Stanton’s contract. Downside...severely hampers is resigning Acuna and pitchers that deserve it.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Ok...allow me to beat this dead horse. I was against a Stanton trade and still am, but coming around to the idea.

1. Having a rotation of Folty, Julio, Newk, Gohora and Fried...isn’t too shabby. They really all need the experience and with waves of pitching behind them...do we really need to spend money on a pitcher? Is there a guy out there worth trading for (probably not). That saves a ton of cash if we go with the above rotation.

2. If this would allow us to get rid of Kemp is it worth it? It gives the Marlins a guy the can plug in also in loosing Stanton. It gives us a outfield of Stanton, Ender and Acuna (WOW).

3. We have cash to spend the next few years...where else will you spend it? With legit prospects a year away (Jackson at catcher and Riley at 3rd)....where else do you spend the money if the pitching rotation is what I mentioned above.

It’s trading one evil for another, but it has peaked my interest.
    Last edited by TheBravos; 10-27-2017 at 06:33 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    A Stanton for Kemp trade would have to be accompanied by assets equivalent to about 12 wins worth of expected value going from us to the Marlins. Small detail no one need concern themselves with.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    A Stanton for Kemp trade would have to be accompanied by assets equivalent to about 12 wins worth of expected value going from us to the Marlins. Small detail no one need concern themselves with.
    Yeah, the Marlins won’t get that from anyone. No matter how good Stanton is now...that contract is the worst in baseball. You add the 12 WAR without subtracting the negative value of the three years at the end. Imagine paying Kemp 30 million a year for the next three years. It could be that bad or worse. Before Stanton had the great year, the Marlins had zero chance of anyone trading for him. If the team’s goal is to get payroll at 90 million...then trading Stanton is a must and puts them at a disadvantage. Give them Kemp, DPete and someone like Anderson. If they turn it down...move on. In the end they won’t get much more than moving that horrible contract.
    Last edited by TheBravos; 10-27-2017 at 07:19 AM.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Yeah, the Marlins won’t get that from anyone. No matter how good Stanton is now...that contract is the worst in baseball. You add the 12 WAR without subtracting the negative value of the three years at the end. Imagine paying Kemp 30 million a year for the next three years. It could be that bad or worse. Before Stanton had the great year, the Marlins had zero chance of anyone trading for him. If the team’s goal is to get payroll at 90 million...then trading Stanton is a must and puts them at a disadvantage. Give them Kemp, DPete and someone like Anderson. If they turn it down...move on. In the end they won’t get much more than moving that horrible contract.
    I've long advocated for a Stanton trade. It makes sense for both teams on some level. But, there's a lot to be answered before it can happen right now like:

1. Are the Braves the true dumpster fire that they appear to be right now? I said from the beginning that they should take their lumps a la the Astros and do a true rebuild. If they had done that there would be no Kemp right now, nor HO, nor Markakis, etc. They didn't go that way instead choosing to pseudo contend/reload which now saddles them with several contracts that limit what they can do. All that BEFORE the FO blew up and locked up settling into shamed navel gazing waiting in the principal's office.
    2. To even begin contemplating a Stanton trade the Braves payroll has to, at minimum, at least remain static Y/Y. It still would be hard to do but would just be possible if other things went right. Even with that future payroll would have to go up.
    3. Stanton would have to be convinced that the Braves will contend. He has a no trade and will likely try to force a trade to a sure contender.
    4. If the Marlins want anywhere near true value back for him they will have to eat some contract. If they want to move the whole contract, not a sure thing in any case, they will have to accept less value.
    5. The Marlins have a couple of worse contracts that can't be moved under any circumstances. Chen's contract is by far the worst in baseball.
    6. Jeter being involved likely helps the Braves cause IMO. I doubt he wants to trade Stanton to the Red Sox right out of the gate as a new owner and I am sure he doesn't want to come off as the Yankees go to side piece right out of the gate. That doesn't take either completely off the table and certainly doesn't remove the Dodgers, Astros, Cubs etc. However, the Cubs really hurt themselves by committing to Heyward.

Bottom line for me is that the Marlins are a wounded animal and if the Braves were well run and smart they would be in position to take advantage of that fact whether it be Stanton or someone else. Problem is it's debatable as to which franchise is caught in a worse bear trap at this time. The Marlins were put into their trap by an ex owner who was trying to elevate the sale value of the franchise on his way out the door. The Braves are in theirs because they have had and still have one of the worst FO groups in sports.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I've long advocated for a Stanton trade. It makes sense for both teams on some level. But, there's a lot to be answered before it can happen right now like:

1. Are the Braves the true dumpster fire that they appear to be right now? I said from the beginning that they should take their lumps a la the Astros and do a true rebuild. If they had done that there would be no Kemp right now, nor HO, nor Markakis, etc. They didn't go that way instead choosing to pseudo contend/reload which now saddles them with several contracts that limit what they can do. All that BEFORE the FO blew up and locked up settling into shamed navel gazing waiting in the principal's office.
    2. To even begin contemplating a Stanton trade the Braves payroll has to, at minimum, at least remain static Y/Y. It still would be hard to do but would just be possible if other things went right. Even with that future payroll would have to go up.
    3. Stanton would have to be convinced that the Braves will contend. He has a no trade and will likely try to force a trade to a sure contender.
    4. If the Marlins want anywhere near true value back for him they will have to eat some contract. If they want to move the whole contract, not a sure thing in any case, they will have to accept less value.
    5. The Marlins have a couple of worse contracts that can't be moved under any circumstances. Chen's contract is by far the worst in baseball.
    6. Jeter being involved likely helps the Braves cause IMO. I doubt he wants to trade Stanton to the Red Sox right out of the gate as a new owner and I am sure he doesn't want to come off as the Yankees go to side piece right out of the gate. That doesn't take either completely off the table and certainly doesn't remove the Dodgers, Astros, Cubs etc. However, the Cubs really hurt themselves by committing to Heyward.

Bottom line for me is that the Marlins are a wounded animal and if the Braves were well run and smart they would be in position to take advantage of that fact whether it be Stanton or someone else. Problem is it's debatable as to which franchise is caught in a worse bear trap at this time. The Marlins were put into their trap by an ex owner who was trying to elevate the sale value of the franchise on his way out the door. The Braves are in theirs because they have had and still have one of the worst FO groups in sports.
    If what the team has been selling the last few years about the stadium and rebuild are true then it's a no brainer to go get Stanton.

If the payroll is really increasing to the 150 to 160 level then having 50 million committed to Stanton/ Freeman is affordable. Freeman and Stanton in the same lineup would be strong.

If the FO believes wholeheartedly in their pitcher centered rebuild then the team has the pieces to compete for a WS if Stanton is added.

I didn't like the idea of Stanton for a long time but if what is FO has been selling is true then I'm all in on him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I have a more positive view of Stanton's contract. Imo there is an 80-90% chance he will opt out after three productive years. There will be teams willing to make a trade with the Marlins based on that assessment.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I have a more positive view of Stanton's contract. Imo there is an 80-90% chance he will opt out after three productive years. There will be teams willing to make a trade with the Marlins based on that assessment.
    Which makes the thought of the Braves trading for him that much more ridiculous IF you're going to send the requisite talent back.

Besides, everyone's wasting time trying to come up with these offers that somehow wouldn't include Acuna, Riley, Jackson, Allard, Soroka, etc. (that wouldn't get him) - he told Kimmel the other night he's not interested in being part of a rebuild, and all these proposals ignore the fact that his no-trade clause means just that...he can just say "no" (which he will).
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Which makes the thought of the Braves trading for him that much more ridiculous IF you're going to send the requisite talent back.

Besides, everyone's wasting time trying to come up with these offers that somehow wouldn't include Acuna, Riley, Jackson, Allard, Soroka, etc. (that wouldn't get him) - he told Kimmel the other night he's not interested in being part of a rebuild, and all these proposals ignore the fact that his no-trade clause means just that...he can just say "no" (which he will).
    When did Riley and Jackson become comparable in value to Acuna, Allard and Soroka?

If Allard, Riley and Jackson would get Stanton I would make that trade today.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    When did Riley and Jackson become comparable in value to Acuna, Allard and Soroka?

Read the proposals - most have us giving up second-tier prospects AND somehow getting the team trying to cut payroll to take back one of the worst contracts in baseball. If "everybody" is convinced Stanton's going to opt out as soon as he can, the Marlins are crazy if they don't hold out for anything short of a huge prospect return and don't agree to eat any money - he'll be off their books in 3 years anyway. Trade all the other desirable players (Yelich, Osuna, Realmuto, Bour) for big-time prospects to surround him and restock your system while tanking and adding high picks as well, then make a huge splash in free-agency in 3 years. Their system would make the same drastic jump the Braves'/White Sox'/Yankees' have if you suddenly get 2 Top 100 prospects for Ozuna, 2 (or 3) Top 100 guys for Yelich, 2 Top 100 guys for Realmuto, AND 3 Top 10 draft picks.

*ell, at that point, Stanton might even choose to stay.

Any trade proposal that includes the Marlins taking Kemp's money back is hilarious - that would only net them a payroll savings of $6 million this year, and $7 million in 2019.
    Last edited by clvclv; 10-27-2017 at 10:56 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Stanton or bust.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    While I disagree about the exact percent chance he doesn't opt out, I agree a large market team will be willing to take the risk of projecting him to opt out and give the Marlins nearly full market value for Stanton on a 3/77 deal (call it $75M in surplus value).

Folks posting any trade scenario where the Marlins take back salary in any trade are delusional. The Marlins are not taking back Kemp, so any deal suggesting something along those lines can be immediately dismissed.

The best chance the Braves have at taking advantage of the Marlins purge is probably an Ozuna/Prado package (Prado lowers the return needed for Ozuna) in exchange for a package centered around Camargo and Allard.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post

Haven't you heard? Riley and AJax have hit a few HR in the AFL. They are now both Top 50 prospects.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The best chance the Braves have at taking advantage of the Marlins purge is probably an Ozuna/Prado package (Prado lowers the return needed for Ozuna) in exchange for a package centered around Camargo and Allard.
    I’d be far more interested in this type of trade anyway. Any of Yelich, Realmutto, Ounzua and we can take Prado and/or a package of their overpriced RPs.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    I’d be far more interested in this type of trade anyway. Any of Yelich, Realmutto, Ounzua and we can take Prado and/or a package of their overpriced RPs.
    Yeah, I could see something like that. I seriously doubt Realmuto is available though, and Yelich will likely cost a TON. Yelich would probably be worth it, but the system will certainly take a significant shot to acquire him.

Most realistic OF trade targets are probably Ozuna, Avi Garcia and Piscotty/Grichuk (not a fan of Grichuk though).

At the end of the day, I think the Cards get Stanton for a package including Grichuk/Piscotty plus Flaherty. The Marlins are desperate for pitching, and those 2 players would slot directly into their lineup.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-27-2017 at 11:12 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Yeah, I could see something like that. I seriously doubt Realmuto is available though, and Yelich will likely cost a TON. Yelich would probably be worth it, but the system will certainly take a significant shot to acquire him.

Most realistic OF trade targets are probably Ozuna, Avi Garcia and Piscotty/Grichuk (not a fan of Grichuk though).

At the end of the day, I think the Cards get Stanton for a package including Grichuk/Piscotty plus Flaherty. The Marlins are desperate for pitching, and those 2 players would slot directly into their lineup.
    I’d love to have Ozuna... well if the cost isn’t crazy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    maybe if we agree to take Fredi back in any deal, we could get a break on cost.
    Coppy

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Why acquire Stanton when you could just sign Kemp to an extension.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    Why acquire Stanton when you could just sign Kemp to an extension.
    Because there's no way Kemp is going to sign an extension. He's going to test the open market and he's going to get paid.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-27-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Because there's no way Kemp is going to sign an extension. He's going to test the open market and he's going to get paid.
    Still think there's a chance we can get him at a hometown discount if we start talking to his reps soon though.