Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Bryse Wilson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It's also very interesting to note the Braves dumped Bell despite having a 40 man spot already available.

Why are they keeping this spot open?
    I am surprised Bell lasted as long as he did, he wasn't good even in the minors. He got called up and sent back down quick too not long ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,521 Posts
    Flaherty gone? Collapse confirmed.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-21-2018), Tapate50 (08-21-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I have a feeling that Wilson’s approach is going to lead to growing pains and he’s had basically no time to adjust to pitchers adjusting to him.

Little worried about that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    If Markakis tanks RoS we can confirm the BiLE as fact.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (08-21-2018)

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Well...

He's the dumbest poster on this board.

Ask him about his attempt to mock me by quoting my draft day comments on Waters now that he has a .064 ISO in A+ ball....

Yeah, because making comments like that should be ok on the forum. I mean, why be so rude?!?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Love the steady diet of fastballs from Wilson. Moved it around pretty good, with solid command. The velo looked solid as well, having hitters off balance most of the night. I'd like to see more velo diff from the FB to Change, but that's nitpicking most likely. I can see where he gets that "bulldog" moniker from. Stocky build, lot of fastballs. Wants to come right at you instead of trying to pick a spot with a breaking ball to start.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Love the steady diet of fastballs from Wilson. Moved it around pretty good, with solid command. The velo looked solid as well, having hitters off balance most of the night. I'd like to see more velo diff from the FB to Change, but that's nitpicking most likely. I can see where he gets that "bulldog" moniker from. Stocky build, lot of fastballs. Wants to come right at you instead of trying to pick a spot with a breaking ball to start.

Stayed much more away from batters than maybe he was billed as doing in the minors.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Stayed much more away from batters than maybe he was billed as doing in the minors.
    A lot of things get distorted depending on a scouts time to see a prospect. He did exactly what I said he was about. FB, FB. Enough offspeed to keep hitters from squaring him up. That’s Bryse.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-21-2018)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    How’d the stat cast data look on Wilson, last night?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravesfannchar View Post
    How’d the stat cast data look on Wilson, last night?
    Anxious to see myself. Stuff definitely looked like it will play. Fastball maintained velocity all night. Threw a couple really nasty sliders and some pretty good changeups, although didn’t locate the change as well as he needs too IMO. All in all there was a lot there to work with.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    620 Posts
    I thought Bryce looked very impressive for his first start in the show - on the road too. Great velo. Great speed changing. Seemed to consistently hit his spots- good command. Stayed on the outside without missing much.
    Coaxed groundballs when he needed to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    I thought Bryce looked very impressive for his first start in the show - on the road too. Great velo. Great speed changing. Seemed to consistently hit his spots- good command. Stayed on the outside without missing much.
    Coaxed groundballs when he needed to.
    Absolutely agree. He's the type of pitcher who could be successful both in a starting role and in the bullpen. I think he'd be a perfect long-relief pitching this year. He and Touki can mix-and-match starts all while keeping the pen fresh.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    620 Posts
    I think that may be the plan. Point is, we could have a very potent BP for the September race and playoff run.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    I think that may be the plan. Point is, we could have a very potent BP for the September race and playoff run.
    especially since Sam Freeman is back

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

CJ9 (08-21-2018), Tapate50 (08-21-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4maddux_cy's View Post
    Yeah, because making comments like that should be ok on the forum. I mean, why be so rude?!?!
    You learn to just ignore him. Funny how he kept his mouth shut when Waters was tearing it up prior to his promotion - now that he's having to adjust to a new level his numbers have taken a hit (like almost every player's do following promotions) and he wants to scream "look at me I was right" (until he adjusts, of course).
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    I was wowed, honestly. His pitches will all play up because he's got the potential for plus command. Pitchability is there, changeup looks good. The slider might not wow you, but he can really locate it. I am not trading him or Touki. I was against trading Gohara, but if someone values him as a potential TOR guy then I move him.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to atl717 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-21-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,862 Posts
    At 20 years, 243 days old, Wilson became the youngest starting pitcher on record to win a 1-0 game in his MLB debut

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-21-2018), jpx7 (08-21-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Wilson showed a 3 pitch mix last night: FA (62), SL (13), CH (12). As per EL's latest in person report, Wilson pounded the upper half of the zone with his FA to good effect.

FA: 95.1 mph (Grade 58.5), 4.9" HMov (Grade 48.6), 8.6" VMov (Grade 46.0)

In EL's latest report he said, "touched 97 several times last night and sat 93-95 late in the outing. He pounded the zone with his fastball (72 of 98 pitches were for strikes) and blew it past several hitters up above the strike zone". He was 100% spot on. This is plus velocity with just enough movement to keep it from being flat, resulting in a 55/60 pitch that plays as a 60 when located up like it was last night.

SL: 82.7 mph (Grade 41.8), 3.2" HMov (Grade 53.6), -0.2" VMov (Grade 58.4)

EL said, "His slider flashes plus but is mostly average and is only capable of missing bats when it’s out of the zone". It showed as a 55 last night.

CH: 8.3 mph delta (Grade 52.7), 9.4" HMov (Grade 62.2), 2.7" VMov (Grade 58.9)

According to EL, "Wilson’s changeup is fringey and firm, without much bat-missing movement, but the velocity separation off of the fastball is enough to keep hitters from squaring it up, and it’s going to be an effective pitch". I agree with the part about it being an effective pitch, but I disagree with the part about it not having movement. The CH objectively has plus movement, and grades out as a 55/60 pitch overall.

Command: EL wrote, "Wilson’s delivery is much more graceful and fluid than it was when he was in high school, when scouts thought it would impact his ability to command the fastball and possibly move him to the bullpen". We saw him walk 3 in 5 IP, which is certainly not ideal, but we also saw him continually pound the upper portion of the zone with the FA. His 32.2% Zone% is below MLB average of 43%, so I agree with FG's assessment of 45 for his present control grade.

So we have a 20 year old arm with a 55/60 FA, 55 SL, 55/60 CH, and just enough control to make it all work. That's a solid #4 that produces 2+ wins annually who climbs the ladder as his control improves. His young age and rapid improvement at the MiLB level suggests average control is well within reason, which would make him a nice #3 while the plus velocity allows him to work up in the zone.

I think that's the deal with Wilson...as soon as the velocity declines enough that the FA can't work up in the zone, he is likely a back end or AAAA SP. He is almost completely reliant on beating batters up in the zone with that plus velocity, and without it he's basically Sims/Wisler. I would suggest not extending him, and looking to trade him the moment signs of velocity loss appear.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-21-2018 at 11:31 AM.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-21-2018), jpx7 (08-21-2018)

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts
    “When I asked the three members of the Mississippi Braves traveling party last week who they would not trade if Alex Anthopoulous asked who to keep, all three said Touki Toussaint and Bryse Wilson.“

“Bryse Wilson was great in High-A (0.34 ERA in 3 GS) Florida & then went to Double-A & struggled (gave up 17 ER in 11 IP in a 3-game stretch). He walked into the coach's office & more or less said, "I need help for the first time in my career." He got it & made the adjustments.”

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

I think that's the deal with Wilson...as soon as the velocity declines enough that the FA can't work up in the zone, he is likely a back end or AAAA SP. He is almost completely reliant on beating batters up in the zone with that plus velocity, and without it he's basically Sims/Wisler. I would suggest not extending him, and looking to trade him the moment signs of velocity loss appear.
    is it not possible that a guy with wilson's stuff keeps making adjustments to continue to be successful?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg