Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

Thread: Garcia being traded to Twins

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    You took issue with something trivial to teach me a lesson about being a know it all? Wow.

If you're going to do that, try to find something a little more solid than me replacing "slight frame" with "small".
    Well, seeing almost everything you write borders on trivial, it wasn't hard to find an example.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

chop2chip (07-24-2017), clvclv (07-25-2017), Garmel (07-24-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Well, seeing almost everything you write borders on trivial, it wasn't hard to find an example.
    Oh zing!

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Stop.

ffs - why does every thread become this? When I joined this board, this forum was awesome, now it's just constant bickering. I'm certainly not perfect here, and there's been a couple posts where I've probably not helped the process. But can't we just have a truce for a little while; half of the posts in this Garcia thread is just people going back and forth with each other.

I'm not some 'why can't we all just get along' type of a guy, but can't we just stop poking each other for awhile.

I actually like getting a 19 year old with some upside in this deal, I like that he had some pedigree, has solid velo and a feel for his breaking ball.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

Chico (07-25-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Stop.

ffs - why does every thread become this? When I joined this board, this forum was awesome, now it's just constant bickering. I'm certainly not perfect here, and there's been a couple posts where I've probably not helped the process. But can't we just have a truce for a little while; half of the posts in this Garcia thread is just people going back and forth with each other.

I'm not some 'why can't we all just get along' type of a guy, but can't we just stop poking each other for awhile.

I actually like getting a 19 year old with some upside in this deal, I like that he had some pedigree, has solid velo and a feel for his breaking ball.
    Agreed, I have no problem with the return for Garcia.

It was exactly the kind of return I expected him to get the Braves months ago.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    The return on this trade is sort of in line with a couple of different points made a couple of weeks ago.

The value probably wouldn't be too great but braves shpuld want to err on side of young with upside.

I think you have a 19 year old who hasn't completely filled out throwing mid 90s with a second plus pitch.

That's a nice enough ticket.

I have no problem with what the braves did here.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Agreed, I have no problem with the return for Garcia.

It was exactly the kind of return I expected him to get the Braves months ago.
    Pretty much. At this range I'd always value a younger guy with room for growth than the MLB ready counterpart (what the Braves traded to get Garcia). Either way Garcia brought back exactly what some of us had been saying.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Pretty much. At this range I'd always value a younger guy with room for growth than the MLB ready counterpart (what the Braves traded to get Garcia). Either way Garcia brought back exactly what some of us had been saying.
    I wouldn't say Gant, Ellis, Dykstra is a slam dunk for this guy....but I get it. Especially with the 40 man crunch and Gant and Ellis being older guys.

Garcia was solid and kept us from buying another colon or maybe even moving up a young guy too soon. Might have gotten us an extra year of control on Newcombe and helped keep Sims et al down. Probably kept Weigel from getting his TJ on the MLB level which is good for the braves and bad for Weigel.

I would have liked a better return. I would have eaten the money. I worry the need for money means they force themselves into a stupid buy.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Longerhans also tweeted he got reports Ynoa was throwing harder than 94 recently.
    At that age if he's 92-94 he could be a high gas relief pitcher like the other guy.

It looks like they wanted someone further away to put in that wave of pitching. Hopefully that means if we buy a Gray type we are selling off the the Anderson/Wentz/Mueller wave over the Allard/Soroka/Gohara wave.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    At that age if he's 92-94 he could be a high gas relief pitcher like the other guy.

It looks like they wanted someone further away to put in that wave of pitching. Hopefully that means if we buy a Gray type we are selling off the the Anderson/Wentz/Mueller wave over the Allard/Soroka/Gohara wave.
    It looked like they wanted someone who didn't appear to have a shoulder about to fall off.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts

I'm more intrigued by an uptick in velocity if his secondary offerings were as adcancer as they were for a pitcher his age. His body dimensions seem project able whereby he can maintain an increased velocity deep into games.

Minor league stats for pitchers just don't mean that much to me. Hitters are natural. Pitchers develop over time. I have no clue of the braves saw something in this guy but if in 2 years from now he is sitting 93-96 with a plus change and good slider then who cares that his production had sucked so far?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    I wouldn't say Gant, Ellis, Dykstra is a slam dunk for this guy....but I get it. Especially with the 40 man crunch and Gant and Ellis being older guys.

Garcia was solid and kept us from buying another colon or maybe even moving up a young guy too soon. Might have gotten us an extra year of control on Newcombe and helped keep Sims et al down. Probably kept Weigel from getting his TJ on the MLB level which is good for the braves and bad for Weigel.

I would have liked a better return. I would have eaten the money. I worry the need for money means they force themselves into a stupid buy.
    I wouldn't say it's a slam dunk either. It's a fair trade off of the younger player having a higher ceiling for being so young but the older guy having a better chance of actually contributing at the MLB level. At that range (40 FV) it honestly doesn't matter that much. Both are longshots to actually do anything.

I agree that the money situation in this trade could be a bigger concern.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I wouldn't say it's a slam dunk either. It's a fair trade off of the younger player having a higher ceiling for being so young but the older guy having a better chance of actually contributing at the MLB level. At that range (40 FV) it honestly doesn't matter that much. Both are longshots to actually do anything.

I've got Gant and Ellis as being unlikely to be much more than Major league filler and I don't think Dykstra ever spends a day in the majors.

To me, I would do those three for Garcia straight up again. I think a half season of Garcia was more valuable to the organization than those three guys. He helped the Braves accomplish what they wanted to do in 2017. Field a competitive team that drew fan interest.

Ellis and Gant were guys that were mainly clutter. They've flipped some of their value into a young player with upside who is further away. He easily could exceed their value or match it down the road.

The Braves need to continue recycling their prospects who have hit their ceiling and don't have a role in Atlanta.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (07-25-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts

Not clear. Because we saved it and got a lesser prospect or that we will squander the savings? I see both angles but I'm not sure which one you are throwing out.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Not clear. Because we saved it and got a lesser prospect or that we will squander the savings? I see both angles but I'm not sure which one you are throwing out.
    More a long the lines of we need the extra money this year to cover an incoming contract.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-25-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    More a long the lines of we need the extra money this year to cover an incoming contract.
    I shudder at the thought.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (07-25-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I shudder at the thought.
    I just have a sick feeling we are about to do something stupid. I was so relieved when Quintana was dealt.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-25-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I'm really disappointed that we are in the bottom half of payroll in MLB and that we have to shed money to afford a cost controlled young starting pitcher.

That's the only takeaway I have from this trade.

According to whom???

"Lower half" is all relative to a point - the Braves are spending more money this season than the Marlins (with Stanton's deal), the Diamondbacks, the Pirates, and the Brewers (who are dead last BTW) amongst the "contenders". Taking on Verlander's contract would suddenly bump them to right behind the Cardinals, and the Royals', Mets', and probably Orioles' payrolls are likely to fall behind the Braves as they start purging vets at the deadline or over the winter.
    Last edited by clvclv; 07-25-2017 at 11:11 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    no sure if this has been posted or not...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/major...4eMOtbS1p56.97

"The younger brother of White Sox righthander Michael Ynoa, Huascar received an $800,000 bonus from the Twins in 2014. Not nearly as tall as his 6-foot-7 brother, Ynoa is still a strong 6-foot-3, 221-pounds. Ynoa’s best trait is a big fastball that has been up to 96 mph this season. He has a developing slider up to 84 mph and changeup that is a work in progress. If Ynoa can harness his command he could be a starter, but scouts are mixed on whether he starts or relieves going forward. As usual with the Braves, they are gambling on a live arm with a high ceiling but significant risk."

A couple interesting notes from the write up;

- 6-3 / 220 that's pretty good size for a 19 year old, maybe that's why we've heard he's seen an uptick in velo
    - Fastball up to 96 this year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    no sure if this has been posted or not...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/major...4eMOtbS1p56.97

"The younger brother of White Sox righthander Michael Ynoa, Huascar received an $800,000 bonus from the Twins in 2014. Not nearly as tall as his 6-foot-7 brother, Ynoa is still a strong 6-foot-3, 221-pounds. Ynoa’s best trait is a big fastball that has been up to 96 mph this season. He has a developing slider up to 84 mph and changeup that is a work in progress. If Ynoa can harness his command he could be a starter, but scouts are mixed on whether he starts or relieves going forward. As usual with the Braves, they are gambling on a live arm with a high ceiling but significant risk."

A couple interesting notes from the write up;

- 6-3 / 220 that's pretty good size for a 19 year old, maybe that's why we've heard he's seen an uptick in velo
    - Fastball up to 96 this year
    Sounds like there has been a nice uptick in his stuff and is filling out his smallish frame.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    What's not surprising?

The sudden pimping of Ynoa by Braves fans haha.