Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    At that price I’d love for the braves to be in.

Aa seems to be hording for the mega deal
    Too early to say right now, if you told me before this winter, i'd say the Braves make one big trade. Holding onto all our assets would be something depending what happens. Still say Haniger if he's available makes too much sense, we got the farm to do it and have two first round picks including a top 10 pick to replace some of the talent going away in said scenario.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    He's not the prototypical corner guy (although neither are the other available options right now), and we've talked about him a little before, but if you're going to do a "mega-deal", doesn't Merrifield fit just about as well as anyone? Now that you've got Donaldson to add to Acuna and Freddie, are we really that desperate for a corner OF that will hit 20+ bombs? Plugging him in in left gives you three guys capable of playing CF as your everyday outfield.

He'd be expensive to acquire, sure, but not as expensive as Haniger, and he's not the type of player you worry about extending at this point in his career - you let him play out the years of control you have left over him and then just let him walk if he's not interested in going year-to-year. With Nicky Lopez knocking on the door and Mondesi beginning to look like he finally may have turned the corner late last year, you have to thing DMGM would be drooling all over himself with a chance to add Riley and more or less have their infield situation settled for the next 5-6 years. Without looking at the charts, surely Merrifield shouldn't cost you much more than Riley and Waters, should he? Maybe a lesser arm included?

I get that some folks aren't particularly keen on playing Johan at SS, but a Merrifield, Albies, Acuna, Freeman, Donaldson, Camargo, Flow/Mac, Inciarte lineup would be an absolute handful for other teams to deal with, and it would allow you to keep Pache and all the top arms to see if one or two reach their ceilings or package with Dansby for a front-line guy. Sign Gonzalez to be the super-sub instead of making Camargo a "cheaper Gonzalez".
    Much rather have Haniger. Plus all the reports are that the Royals have no interest in trading him. That means value wise he may be cheaper but you're likely only getting him with a big overpay and we know Haniger is likely available if we can perk the M's interest. Also, Merrifield has been talked about quite a bit already. This is not a new idea.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Much rather have Haniger. Plus all the reports are that the Royals have no interest in trading him. That means value wise he may be cheaper but you're likely only getting him with a big overpay and we know Haniger is likely available if we can perk the M's interest. Also, Merrifield has been talked about quite a bit already. This is not a new idea.
    I didn't state that he'd been talked about before? Hmmmm...

We KNOW Haniger is available??? I assume you have a link to that information, right?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Well if the M's are trading Segura and Diaz, whats the point of holding onto Haniger? Just using some logic here.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Well if the M's are trading Segura and Diaz, whats the point of holding onto Haniger? Just using some logic here.
    Because Jerry Dipoto

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    “Outfielder Nick Markakis “remains a candidate” to return to Atlanta, and is a “more likely fit” than Michael Brantley, per Heyman. Markakis, a Georgia native, enjoyed a blissful ’18 renaissance in the last year of his 4 year, $44MM deal signed prior the 2015 season, slashing .297/.366/.440 in hitter-friendly SunTrust Park on the way to 2.6 fWAR, his first two-win-plus season with the Braves. Atlanta, of course, continues its search for offensive upgrades even after the inking of Josh Donaldson to a one-year deal, but doesn’t see outfielder A.J. Pollock as a likely target, according to Heyman. The 35-year-old Markakis, though, had posted five consecutive sub-.400 slugging percentage seasons before the last, and has never been a particularly nimble defender in a corner. Atlanta, at this point in the offseason, may be setting its sights a little higher in its dogged pursuit of an outfielder.“

If Markakis is more likely fit than Brantley, it has to be due to cost. If that’s the price for signing JD, that is not good.

Hopefully AA has a trade up his sleeve if Brantley is too expensive and Markakis is the fallback option. Yuck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    With Brantley and McCutchen the issue might be the fourth year. It was an issue that many of us raised with the Muk contract. It turned out ok in that case but I think we caught a lucky break there.

A trade for Peralta continues to make a lot of sense.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    With Brantley and McCutchen the issue might be the fourth year. It was an issue that many of us raised with the Muk contract. It turned out ok in that case but I think we caught a lucky break there.

Peralta has the perfect timeline for us.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post

Perslta and Greinke would fill two spots AA said he wanted to fill in an outfield bat plus SP
    Get off my lawn!

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    A trade for an outfielder makes too much sense. Braves have so many assets to use, if you sign JD but keep Nick, how much are you upgraded with another platoon at C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I didn't state that he'd been talked about before? Hmmmm...

We KNOW Haniger is available??? I assume you have a link to that information, right?
    No I never said I know he's available, read much? Certainly seems quite clear he's more available than Merrifield just by simple deduction. Whether he is or not, who knows? I certainly never said I know he's available but thanks for doing your assumption thing you do every time someone points out your stupid posts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Ken Rosenthal is saying that McCann hasn’t taken us out of the JT Realmuto sweepstakes and we are waiting for the asking price to come down like everybody else. And Nick Cafardo is saying that Dallas Keuchel is high on our wishlist and we have the money for him even after signing JD.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (12-01-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Markakis put up a .701 OPS the second half and if he's here he expects to play every day, or close to it. It's time to move on as he's 35 now.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Ken Rosenthal is saying that McCann hasn’t taken us out of the JT Realmuto sweepstakes and we are waiting for the asking price to come down like everybody else. And Nick Cafardo is saying that Dallas Keuchel is high on our wishlist and we have the money for him even after signing JD.
    Nevermind, saw it on MLBTR. Dont think Keuchel would be a smart move, and the Marlins dont wanna move JT within the division.
    Last edited by Heyward; 12-01-2018 at 08:11 PM.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Markakis put up a .701 OPS the second half and if he's here he expects to play every day, or close to it. It's time to move on as he's 35 now.
    I think/hope AA is smart enough to move on from Markakis gives the available options out there.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    We aren’t signing Makakis. I’d bet anything on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I think/hope AA is smart enough to move on from Markakis gives the available options out there.
    i agree, hopefully he's just be respectful by not ruling it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Nevermind, saw it on MLBTR. Dont think Keuchel would be a smart move, and the Marlins dont wanna move JT within the division.
    I rather bring back Sanchez and trade Teheran.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    We aren’t signing Makakis. I’d bet anything on it.
    I think there are circumstances where going to Muk as a fallback option might make sense. Several different things would have to happen. First, the market for McCutchen and Brantley would have to be strong, allowing them to command four year deals. Second, trade options such as Peralta might not materialize. Third, an opportunity to strengthen the team at reasonable cost in other areas (say a starting pitcher such as Carrasco or Greinke) might materialize. If those things happen we could bring back Muk and strengthen the team elsewhere.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Apparently Cano deal agreed upon per Morosi via a guy close to Cano.

And some news, rumor Bryce doesnt wanna live in Philly.