Page 152 of 579 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162202252 ... LastLast
Results 3,021 to 3,040 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    The most efficent way to get an OF is to wait until someone is left without a chair in free agency. That would get us the best deal.

That is SUPER risky for a team trying to win. We need to find the best player we can afford without closing our long term window.

AA always seems to get the guy nobody is talking about. i just think we'll see an announcement that we have traded for Chris Taylor and signed Marwin Gonzales.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    The most efficent way to get an OF is to wait until someone is left without a chair in free agency. That would get us the best deal.

That is SUPER risky for a team trying to win. We need to find the best player we can afford without closing our long term window.

AA always seems to get the guy nobody is talking about. i just think we'll see an announcement that we have traded for Chris Taylor and signed Marwin Gonzales.

AA is the guy at your auction draft who has spending power at the end.

I circled back to Marwin earlier this week to see if I had changed my mind on him as a possible OF option. Looking at the numbers again, I just can't escape that he's probably just a sub 1.5 WAR guy who best use begins and ends at being a flexible bench bat. He's likely priced out of that role.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

I circled back to Marwin earlier this week to see if I had changed my mind on him as a possible OF option. Looking at the numbers again, I just can't escape that he's probably just a sub 1.5 WAR guy who best use begins and ends at being a flexible bench bat. He's likely priced out of that role.
    i think Marwin ceased to make sense when Donaldson was signed. Marwin's best suited role is what Camargo will now be doing. i could be wrong.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

That was kind of my point. AA does things you do not expect and we never do the thing everyone expects.

He might look to overspend on the bench so he can have a stud bench. The OF we get is probably not going to be one of the guys everyone says we will get.

Spring Training Invitee TheRunningAgent's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    There is also a reason we kept Duvall. Worse case, we can play Duvall and Camargo in the outfield knowing that Riley/Pache is not far behind. I kinda like that if we improve elsewhere. And maybe, it’s a reason he hasn’t jumped on one of these signings.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Getting good value should be the secondary motivator behind getting a roster of players good enough to project for 85-90 wins.

If AA has to choose between buying a 3+ win cOF at 110% of his value vs a 1-2 win cOF at 75% of his value, he needs to pay the premium to get the 3 win guy (assuming there is room in the budget).

Spring Training Invitee TheRunningAgent's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Could the Braves handle Puig for one year or is just not best to put him in the clubhouse? If he was right, he sure would look good hitting behind Freddie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    He has to improve the COF spot and has no choice. McCann isn’t an upgrade at the plate over Suzuki imo and if Donaldson goes down for a long period of time (very well could happen) then we are looking at last years team possibly worse. COF has to be the top priority right now and there is no way around it. AA knows this and that’s why he’s called about Haniger and Peralta already. I’m sure he’ll talk to the Mariners and DBacks again at the WM and see if they can do something.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    He has to improve the COF spot and has no choice. McCann isn’t an upgrade at the plate over Suzuki imo and if Donaldson goes down for a long period of time (very well could happen) then we are looking at last years team possibly worse. COF has to be the top priority right now and there is no way around it. AA knows this and that’s why he’s called about Haniger and Peralta already. I’m sure he’ll talk to the Mariners and DBacks again at the WM and see if they can do something.
    The D-Backs seem to be getting a late start on a complete tear down. The M's started early, not to say you can call any of their returns good, but at least got the ball rolling. Now that the D-Backs have lost Corbin and Goldy, their best bet would be to go ahead and trade anyone and everyone that they don't project to be on the team in 3-4 years when they get closer to a competitive window.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRunningAgent View Post
    Could the Braves handle Puig for one year or is just not best to put him in the clubhouse? If he was right, he sure would look good hitting behind Freddie.
    Yuck on Puig

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    If the Dodgers get Harper then any of Pedo, Puig or Verdugo should be available

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    If the Dodgers get Harper then any of Pedo, Puig or Verdugo should be available
    that's an unfortunate nickname
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (12-07-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Bowman's latest has a couple interesting quotes.

"Anthopoulos acquired his primary target when catcher Brian McCann's willingness to accept a one-year, $2 milion offer influenced the opportunity sigh former AL MVP Josh Donaldson"

This jives with what I've stated since JD was signed...Mac and JD came as a $25M package because AA earmarked ~$25M to fix the bench and catcher. Rather than signing Grandal, leaving Camargo at 3B, and signing a utility player, AA decided to sign JD for 3B, Mac for C, and move Camargo to the bench. Time will tell if that was the best move, but it was certainly the lowest risk move.

This comment also reassures me a bit that AA didn't blow his wad on JD and has left enough powder dry to get a 3 win guy for LF.

"Anthopoulos has actively pursued outfielders...Brantley is a potential multiyear option. Andrew McCutchen, Nick Markakis, and Carlos Gonzalez are potential short-term options".

If "multiyear" means 3-4 years for Brantley, and "short-term" means 1-2 years for Cutch, I think it's pretty clear the #1 target should be Cutch for LF. Duval would then be dumped and a LHH 4th OFer acquired.

"It appears their need for a front-line starter will most likely be satisfied via trade. Marcus Stroman...Sonny Gray has also been discussed. Bumgarner does not appear to be a primary option."

I don't see the point in acquiring someone like Gray, but he can be sold as a "front line starter" to the dumber fans. The Stroman rumors just won't die, so it remains to be seen if the Jays are willing to sell him now. I just don't see any guys available that would be a real upgrade over the young pitchers they would replace. I think a deal for a starter is best suited for the deadline 6+ months from now.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (12-07-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Getting good value should be the secondary motivator behind getting a roster of players good enough to project for 85-90 wins.

If AA has to choose between buying a 3+ win cOF at 110% of his value vs a 1-2 win cOF at 75% of his value, he needs to pay the premium to get the 3 win guy (assuming there is room in the budget).

Very possible he's completely willing to outbid the market in the short term, but is reluctant to commit to years.

His approach towards trading from the prospect pool very much reflects a longer view.

The Donaldson deal probably beat the market by a good bit (or it wouldn't have gotten done so quickly). I wouldn't be shocked if he did a 1 or 2 year deal for higher AAV than is projected for someone.

But if all the OFs are still looking for 4 year deals then he has to let that cool off. And sounds like everyone is asking for a lot out of Braves knowing they have a lot to give on the trade market. If that's the case, he has to wait out the teams that want to do something until their other market dries up.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Bowman's latest has a couple interesting quotes.

"Anthopoulos acquired his primary target when catcher Brian McCann's willingness to accept a one-year, $2 milion offer influenced the opportunity sigh former AL MVP Josh Donaldson"

This jives with what I've stated since JD was signed...Mac and JD came as a $25M package because AA earmarked ~$25M to fix the bench and catcher. Rather than signing Grandal, leaving Camargo at 3B, and signing a utility player, AA decided to sign JD for 3B, Mac for C, and move Camargo to the bench. Time will tell if that was the best move, but it was certainly the lowest risk move.

This comment also reassures me a bit that AA didn't blow his wad on JD and has left enough powder dry to get a 3 win guy for LF.

"Anthopoulos has actively pursued outfielders...Brantley is a potential multiyear option. Andrew McCutchen, Nick Markakis, and Carlos Gonzalez are potential short-term options".

If "multiyear" means 3-4 years for Brantley, and "short-term" means 1-2 years for Cutch, I think it's pretty clear the #1 target should be Cutch for LF. Duval would then be dumped and a LHH 4th OFer acquired.

"It appears their need for a front-line starter will most likely be satisfied via trade. Marcus Stroman...Sonny Gray has also been discussed. Bumgarner does not appear to be a primary option."

I don't see the point in acquiring someone like Gray, but he can be sold as a "front line starter" to the dumber fans. The Stroman rumors just won't die, so it remains to be seen if the Jays are willing to sell him now. I just don't see any guys available that would be a real upgrade over the young pitchers they would replace. I think a deal for a starter is best suited for the deadline 6+ months from now.

There is just no way he accidentally blew the money for fixing the OF.

I agree that Cutch on a 1 or 2 year deal would be excellent. That's my new hope. Brantley is looking for more, but getting his AAV where he seems to be asking seems only doable in a short contract. So watch that too, I guess.

The rotation piece almost has to be through trade. But either way I would guess one more significant free agent and one trade.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Sounds like the Nats owner is throwing in the towel on Bryce.

"But I really don't expect him to come back at this point. I think they've decided to move on. There's just too much money out there that he'd be leaving on the table. That's just not Mr. Boras' MO to leave money on the table."

https://thefandc.radio.com/nationals...best-we-can-do

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    The D-Backs seem to be getting a late start on a complete tear down. The M's started early, not to say you can call any of their returns good, but at least got the ball rolling. Now that the D-Backs have lost Corbin and Goldy, their best bet would be to go ahead and trade anyone and everyone that they don't project to be on the team in 3-4 years when they get closer to a competitive window.
    I think the D-Backs did pretty well in the Goldschmidt deal. Got two post-hype prospects and a third decent prospect plus a competitive balance round pick out of one year of a slugger. That's about as good as you can do.

Getting the comp pick out of Corbin will also help them a bit.

Their major project of course will be getting out of most of Greinke's contract.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,728 Posts
    I think most of these deals are terrible for the selling team. I would be livid if we were trading our good players for those trash deals.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I think most of these deals are terrible for the selling team. I would be livid if we were trading our good players for those trash deals.
    Goldy is a great player. but you have him for ONE year before he gets a huge deal. that severely limits his value in a trade. same thing that happened with the braves with Heyward and Upton.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Goldy is a great player. but you have him for ONE year before he gets a huge deal. that severely limits his value in a trade. same thing that happened with the braves with Heyward and Upton.
    "the Diamondbacks got two major league-ready starters, another decent prospect, and added another top-100 pick to their potential haul next season, where they will have eight picks in the top 100 so long as they don’t bring back A.J. Pollock. It has to hurt to see Paul Goldschmidt go, but this trade should accelerate the team’s window for contention even if they don’t go for it this year."