Potential top 100 prospects:
    Ruiz
    Davidson
    Peraza
    Albies

Guys that are on the periphery:
    Dustin Peterson
    Mallex Smith

We have at least average depth. That's far from "completely dry".
    If Mallex keeps his current pace up, he's a shoe in for Top 100.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Yes. How many of these players have you watched? Even a video on a scouting report that Kiley McDaniel posted on Fangraphs.

I have watched zero. That's because I have literally zero ability to scout 17 year old high school kids.

There is a fine line between being objective and being a cynic. That fine line becomes even finer in this thread.
    For probably the 10th time, I'm more concerned about the philosophy than the players acquired

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I personally don't think the Braves were focused enough on the international market in recent years. JS noted that this was one of the things that contributed to Frank Wren being fired. For one thing, we missed the boat on the market inefficiency on Cuban players. I think the JS comments were more broad that that tough and reflected that he (and others) felt that we were behind the league on international scouting and emphasizing this talent pool versus free agency.
    I didn't read about that comment from JS. Thanks for passing it along.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Man - I waited and was disappointed.

Looks like you just told us what we all already knew. The Cubs philosophy has been to acquire hitting. Ours has been to acquire pitching. With the way the game is going, I'd prefer the Cubs

They have traded established pitching for hitting prospects. We have traded established hitting for pitching prospects - which is odd bc they have much higher bust rates
    The only established hitter we traded was Justin Upton... Gattis and Heyward were in ZERO way established. Gattis established some power, but also some real concerns with approach and health.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ramadon101 View Post
    If Mallex keeps his current pace up, he's a shoe in for Top 100.
    Not sure how that is a debate. 420 OBP in AA as a 22 year old (Age 21 season) at a defensive premium position. His numbers would probably even look better if he wasn't hurt early in the season.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Again, if every single thought/post since Wren was fired wasn't overly negative/critical then some of us would not think that every post has an agenda underneath.
    I'm so sick of having this conversation with you and heyward. I've defended several of the trades when they happened and since. Like I said (again), the Gattis and Kimbrel trades were strokes of brilliance... loved the Uribe deal. Loved many of the smaller acquisitions.

Don't love punting a year away with as much talent as we had. Again, it's the philosophy I don't agree with.

I suspect we'll have this same discussion 2 days from now so I will copy this to the clipboard

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Kiley McDaniel has said there are two elite type talents in next years July 2 class:

The Top of the 2016 Class

Before jumping into the top five projected bonuses for the 2015 class (eligible to sign on July 2nd, 2015), I have a quick update on the 2016 class. I’ve already written about*Venezuelan SS Kevin Maitan*(link includes video), who has been compared by scouts to*Miguel Cabrera*and is being called the top July 2nd prospect in many years, probably the best since Twins 3B*Miguel Sano. I talked to many scouts about Maitan in the Dominican last month and it’s been amazing that no one has said anything negative about him. With players of this age getting hype, you almost always have scouts telling you to be cautious, but everyone I’ve talked to just keeps throwing out high end comparisons like*Juan Gonzalez, conceding that he’s really good and probably one of the best they’ve ever seen.*In short, Maitan is a switch-hitting shortstop that’s advanced for his age across the board, but most scouts think he’ll add bulk and move off the position, like Cabrera and Sano and other elite prospects in the past.

One more name has been brought up as a high end guy in the 2016 class:*Venezuelan C Abraham Gutierrez, who trains with former big leaguer*Carlos Guillen. Gutierrez is average to plus across the board with precocious all fields power and the tools to stick behind the plate. He’s obviously also very young, so it’s very early to throw lofty comparisons around like with Maitan, but scouts have said Gutierrez’s overall game*is along the lines of*Mike Piazza.

fangraphs.com/blogs/july-2nd-plans-are-coming-into-focus

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay212033 For This Useful Post:

thethe (06-09-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    The only established hitter we traded was Justin Upton... Gattis and Heyward were in ZERO way established. Gattis established some power, but also some real concerns with approach and health.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    For probably the 10th time, I'm more concerned about the philosophy than the players acquired
    2 hitters acquired on day one. That's equal to the amount the Cubbies got.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    You are spouting off these assumptions as facts when that is silly. The whole offseason, many on this board were begging us to acquire offense with the folks we traded. Then this draft - we are begging for offense. It's pitching pitching pitching bc that's "the Braves way". We're living in the 90's again and hoping to find the next Maddux/Glavine/Smoltz
    Last I checked, you're spouting off assumptions as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Solid reply.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    2 hitters acquired on day one. That's equal to the amount the Cubbies got.
    How many picks did the Cubs have? We had 5.

the Cubs have a surplus of hitting, we have a surplus of pitching. We also apparently reached several times... which I was hoping would be to draft someone over slot - that hasn't happened yet. We'll see

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Not only in this thread but for the whole offseason. Its not just Sturg but a few posters. If these posters weren't so blatantly against the current front office then they would be given more benefit of the doubt for their criticisms.
    On the flip side and complete opposite of that sits thethe.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Kiley McDaniel has said there are two elite type talents in next years July 2 class:

The Top of the 2016 Class

Before jumping into the top five projected bonuses for the 2015 class (eligible to sign on July 2nd, 2015), I have a quick update on the 2016 class. I’ve already written about*Venezuelan SS Kevin Maitan*(link includes video), who has been compared by scouts to*Miguel Cabrera*and is being called the top July 2nd prospect in many years, probably the best since Twins 3B*Miguel Sano. I talked to many scouts about Maitan in the Dominican last month and it’s been amazing that no one has said anything negative about him. With players of this age getting hype, you almost always have scouts telling you to be cautious, but everyone I’ve talked to just keeps throwing out high end comparisons like*Juan Gonzalez, conceding that he’s really good and probably one of the best they’ve ever seen.*In short, Maitan is a switch-hitting shortstop that’s advanced for his age across the board, but most scouts think he’ll add bulk and move off the position, like Cabrera and Sano and other elite prospects in the past.

One more name has been brought up as a high end guy in the 2016 class:*Venezuelan C Abraham Gutierrez, who trains with former big leaguer*Carlos Guillen. Gutierrez is average to plus across the board with precocious all fields power and the tools to stick behind the plate. He’s obviously also very young, so it’s very early to throw lofty comparisons around like with Maitan, but scouts have said Gutierrez’s overall game*is along the lines of*Mike Piazza.

fangraphs.com/blogs/july-2nd-plans-are-coming-into-focus
    I hope we aren't in for a letdown like Moncada/Olivera.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    On the flip side and complete opposite of that sits thethe.
    Very true.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    How many picks did the Cubs have? We had 5.

the Cubs have a surplus of hitting, we have a surplus of pitching. We also apparently reached several times... which I was hoping would be to draft someone over slot - that hasn't happened yet. We'll see
    We had 5, yes. One of the philophisies from the front office was to accumulate a lot of draft picks. It's not like they took all those picks and used them on "GA HS pitchers with outstanding makeup".

We may have reached. It's possible, but none of them were extreme reaches ala LAA taking that catcher in the 1st round. It's impossible to gauge now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    The Teix deal was centered around Andrus and Salty. I don't even remember the others.. but you've gone back two decades to pull an example
    Neftali Feliz was the #9 ranked prospect in all of baseball... when he went to the Rangers he was their #1 prospect... so I don't know how much I trust your memory.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Not to get off-topic... But when should we start hearing about second day picks?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Neftali Feliz was the #9 ranked prospect in all of baseball... when he went to the Rangers he was their #1 prospect... so I don't know how much I trust your memory.
    The braves traded him in 2008, where he was ranked #93 coming into the year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I think something some of you need to consider is that just because something works well for one organization doesn't mean it's going to work well for another organization. It's a completely different dynamic when dealing with different ball clubs. Clark et. al have a long history of building strong farm systems despite not necessarily having top draft picks. Bridges is very well respected in the business as well. To me these guys have proven enough to be given the benefit of the doubt.
    thank you weso1!

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-09-2015), Tapate50 (06-09-2015), thethe (06-09-2015)