2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Garmel (11-17-2016), jpx7 (11-17-2016)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    So are you going to call foul for any article not from Fox News? Is that your standard for objective journalism? I don't care if you don't like where an article comes from. If you're a Trump supporter, I assume you've already sold your soul, beyond help and will defend him to your grave. More power to you.

The article, if you read it, is mostly about studies done long before this election season even began and is mostly neutral about the Trump win, except to point out the obvious that Trump is an authoritarian leader and a segment of the country has been moving toward that way of thinking for a while. I'm surprised you didn't like the article. It refutes the idea that Trump supporters are just a bunch of racists and white supremacists. That's part of why I posted it.

Please, show us the lies, cherry picked stats (lol) and pseudo science you uncovered.

"the average man does not want to be free. he simply wants to be safe."

H. L. Mencken
    Can you quote the section where the article refutes the idea that Trump supporters are racists and white supremacists?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ESP47 View Post
    Article is full of lies, cherry picked stats and pseudo science.
    So why don't Republicans like the source then?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    So are you going to call foul for any article not from Fox News? Is that your standard for objective journalism? I don't care if you don't like where an article comes from. If you're a Trump supporter, I assume you've already sold your soul, beyond help and will defend him to your grave. More power to you.

The article, if you read it, is mostly about studies done long before this election season even began and is mostly neutral about the Trump win, except to point out the obvious that Trump is an authoritarian leader and a segment of the country has been moving toward that way of thinking for a while. I'm surprised you didn't like the article. It refutes the idea that Trump supporters are just a bunch of racists and white supremacists. That's part of why I posted it.

Please, show us the lies, cherry picked stats (lol) and pseudo science you uncovered.

"the average man does not want to be free. he simply wants to be safe."

H. L. Mencken
    Well, he's right to the extent that Ezra Klein is a liberal and Vox is a progressive blog.

Maybe it's important to note, maybe it's not.

The article was interesting, but I would wholeheartedly challenge the author's assertion that Feldman's 'parenting goals' line of questions is the definitive measure of authoritarianism. To me, it's actually the perfect example of a political scientist trying to play a psychologist and airmailing it.

There is a strong distinguishing factor between political science's view of authoritarianism and psychology's view of authoritarianism as well as a great deal lot of overlap and disagreement between the two schools; for example, do citizens gravitate toward authoritarian ideals based on ideology or personality - and if so - how do we define that ideology and that personality?

A psychologist, Bob Altemeyer, conducted a popular study on Right Wing Authoritarianism in the mid-90s: http://www.uky.edu/AS/PoliSci/Peffle...ersonality.pdf (sorry, it's the only digital copy I could find). His questions, from my perspective, and especially in light of my perception of this past election, are much more in-tune with today's political climate and how we should go about defining modern authoritarianism.

Altemeyer references Erich Fromm in his introduction. Fromm believed that Germans who supported Nazism represented both submissive AND dominant personality types. The author of the Vox piece dismisses Fromm and what would later become known as the "Berkeley" research on authoritarianism as "junk science" ... that's asinine. Anyways, Altemeyer's findings ultimately circle around the idea of "Social Domination" ... ie. winning (how ironic) ... being the 'new' Authoritarianism (and I'm overly simplifying).

Trump won a campaign predicated ENTIRELY on winning. He was overtly competitive and arrogantly ambitious. What grew his appeal was being an underdog from the moment he lurched out of the gate and proving his detractors and enemies wrong literally every step of the way. Sure, he sprinkled some policy on here and there for show, but let's not kid ourselves: most people did not vote for Trump because he promised to build the wall or because he said he would abolish TPP. They voted for him because he promised greatness. And is that not one of the fundamental principles that Americans are constantly encouraged to strive for essentially from birth?

I think to categorize Trump as an authoritarian in the traditional sense is a bit flawed because it carries these historically nefarious undertones. Is he a larger than life personality? Yes. Absolutely. But that does not automatically translate into an authoritarian. Not in the slightest.

It's logically and morally dubious for Vox to loosely propagate that particular claim using a singular and oft-challenged scientific method.
    Last edited by Hawk; 11-17-2016 at 02:33 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (11-17-2016), ESP47 (11-17-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Well, he's right to the extent that Ezra Klein is a liberal and Vox is a progressive blog.

Maybe it's important to note, maybe it's not.

The article was interesting, but I would wholeheartedly challenge the author's assertion that Feldman's 'parenting goals' line of questions is the definitive measure of authoritarianism. To me, it's actually the perfect example of a political scientist trying to play a psychologist and airmailing it.

There is a strong distinguishing factor between political science's view of authoritarianism and psychology's view of authoritarianism as well as a great deal lot of overlap and disagreement between the two schools; for example, do citizens gravitate toward authoritarian ideals based on ideology or personality - and if so - how do we define that ideology and that personality?

A psychologist, Bob Altemeyer, conducted a popular study on Right Wing Authoritarianism in the mid-90s: http://www.uky.edu/AS/PoliSci/Peffle...ersonality.pdf (sorry, it's the only digital copy I could find). His questions, from my perspective, and especially in light of my perception of this past election, are much more in-tune with today's political climate and how we should go about defining modern authoritarianism.

Altemeyer references Erich Fromm in his introduction. Fromm believed that Germans who supported Nazism represented both submissive AND dominant personality types. The author of the Vox piece dismisses Fromm and what would later become known as the "Berkeley" research on authoritarianism as "junk science" ... that's asinine. Anyways, Altemeyer's findings ultimately circle around the idea of "Social Domination" ... ie. winning (how ironic) ... being the 'new' Authoritarianism (and I'm overly simplifying).

Trump won a campaign predicated ENTIRELY on winning. He was overtly competitive and arrogantly ambitious. What grew his appeal was being an underdog from the moment he lurched out of the gate and proving his detractors and enemies wrong literally every step of the way. Sure, he sprinkled some policy on here and there for show, but let's not kid ourselves: most people did not vote for Trump because he promised to build the wall or because he said he would abolish TPP. They voted for him because he promised greatness. And is that not one of the fundamental principles that Americans are constantly encouraged to strive for essentially from birth?

I think to categorize Trump as an authoritarian in the traditional sense is a bit flawed because it carries these historically nefarious undertones. Is he a larger than life personality? Yes. Absolutely. But that does not automatically translate into an authoritarian. Not in the slightest. And it's logically and morally dubious to loosely propagate that message using a singular and oft-challenged scientific method.
    The problem will be there are a lot of different angles to the whole greatness question and one looks like greatness to one group doesn't necessarily look like greatness to another. Sooner or later decisions will have to be made and if one doesn't have a more firm set of principles to operate from besides a nebulous notion of "greatness," things could fall apart. My biggest fear in a Trump presidency is that he's going to run it like a television show and if the ratings dip, he'll change the plot or drop a character or do whatever it takes to stay on the air (so to speak). I find it difficult to lump him into the classical definition of authoritarian because most authoritarians come from a more formalized movement (Hitler with the Nazis, Mussolini with the National Fascist Party, Mao and Lenin with various strands of communism). Trump came from "above."

The parenting angle was also played up by George Lakoff (I think it was Lakoff) in his work. I don't know if it really holds water or not.

Anyway, I found both articles--Runnin's and weso's--interesting.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-17-2016)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Vox is a garbage left biased site. The author is a feminist and social justice warrior who also writes for the NYT (another non credible source when it comes to anything about Trump or republicans). Article is full of lies, cherry picked stats and pseudo science. Just look at the picture at the top of the article and it'll tell you all you need to know.
    Wow
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Romney? Romney? Dang this is getting weirder by the moment.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

Hawk (11-17-2016), jpx7 (11-17-2016)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Everybody's got to kiss the ring.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-17-2016)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post

Never thought I'd see the day where I was actively rooting for Mitt Romney to have a top position in our government.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Pretty extensive take down of the media pushed myth that Trump and a significant amount of his supporters are racists.

link
    I'm sorry, but did the author of this article just suggest to me that Donald Trump eating a taco bowl is compelling evidence that I can't think there were some racist undertones in his campaign? That's on par with claiming to have a black friend as a defense.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (11-17-2016)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Never thought I'd see the day where I was actively rooting for Mitt Romney to have a top position in our government.
    Til I see otherwise, I'm going to assume that Romney (and maybe Haley) are being used as a counter-narrative to the stories about how the Trump camp is vindictive towards non-believers

AM I NOT MERCIFUL?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I'm sorry, but did the author of this article just suggest to me that Donald Trump eating a taco bowl is compelling evidence that I can't think there were some racist undertones in his campaign? That's on par with claiming to have a black friend as a defense.
    No, it was part of his argument about leftists crying wolf about Trump being "openly" racist.

I think having a black friend is actually pretty good evidence that you aren't racist. Never really understood why folks poo poo that one. Maybe the implication is that the person is lying. Of course for most people the correct argument if someone accuses you of being a racist, without evidence, is screw you, you are a ****ty person.
    Last edited by weso1; 11-17-2016 at 07:50 PM.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Can you quote the section where the article refutes the idea that Trump supporters are racists and white supremacists?
    The thesis of the article refutes the idea since it shows how the this move toward authoritarianism has been going on for years. It presents a different narrative to the white supremacist angle which is exactly why I posted it, in a search for other causes.

I don't have time to look now but I don't know that the article even mentions white supremacy or racism.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    He needs legitimacy. Should Romney do it, is the big question.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    He needs legitimacy. Should Romney do it, is the big question.

Might not be bad for the country if he did... It'd keep Rudy and Bolton out of it and place a reasonable adult there.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    That's a joke. You may not like or agree with the guy but he has the right to speak his mind just like you or I.
    Twitter si not the government, they have every right to ban him from speaking his mind on their site.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump
    Just got a call from my friend Bill Ford, Chairman of Ford, who advised me that he will be keeping the Lincoln plant in Kentucky - no Mexico

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (11-17-2016)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Might not be bad for the country if he did... It'd keep Rudy and Bolton out of it and place a reasonable adult there.
    I don't like Romney at State, what about Treasury?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump
    Just got a call from my friend Bill Ford, Chairman of Ford, who advised me that he will be keeping the Lincoln plant in Kentucky - no Mexico
    Man, if that money from overseas can find a way inside our country we could see a revitalizaton of the country.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I don't like Romney at State, what about Treasury?
    Certainly can't say he's unqualified for that spot.