Page 23 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533731235231023 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I don't know why anyone would be afraid of Richard Spencer and his followers. His movement is incredibly insignificant in size and he's viewed by almost everyone as a pariah. Despite his extremist views, he doesn't push violence. His views are extreme and offensive, but I just don't see how he's a threat to anyone. It's like being afraid of the anarchist movement.

Bannon views white nationalists as an unfortunate part of the nationalist voting base. Similar to how communists are an unfortunate part of the leftists voter base. They exist and nationalism does pander to them a bit, but certainly far from the ways Spencer wants. When you read about Bannon, it's pretty obvious to see that he believes strongly in assimilating around western culture. He wants all races to flourish under his populist nationalist ideals. Bannon see an opportunity to really tap into the non white voting block and he's going to go after that. He's been on record stating that he wants to garner 40% of the african american vote. I'm sorry, but that's not someone who is going to push for race separatism. Now one thing that he's not going to do is be ashamed of being a white male.
    We ignore the Richard Spencers of the world at our own risk.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I'm not up on Mr. Spencer. What exactly are the specifics about him?

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ESP47 View Post
    http://nypost.com/2016/11/21/donald-...-firing-squad/

Donald Trump scolded media big shots during an off-the-record Trump Tower sitdown on Monday, sources told The Post.

“It was like a f–ing firing squad,” one source said of the encounter.

“Trump started with [CNN chief] Jeff Zucker and said ‘I hate your network, everyone at CNN is a liar and you should be ashamed,’ ” the source said.

“The meeting was a total disaster. The TV execs and anchors went in there thinking they would be discussing the access they would get to the Trump administration, but instead they got a Trump-style dressing down,” the source added.

A second source confirmed the fireworks.

“The meeting took place in a big board room and there were about 30 or 40 people, including the big news anchors from all the networks,” the other source said.

“Trump kept saying, ‘We’re in a room of liars, the deceitful dishonest media who got it all wrong.’ He addressed everyone in the room calling the media dishonest, deceitful liars. He called out Jeff Zucker by name and said everyone at CNN was a liar, and CNN was [a] network of liars,” the source said.

“Trump didn’t say [NBC reporter] Katy Tur by name, but talked about an NBC female correspondent who got it wrong, then he referred to a horrible network correspondent who cried when Hillary lost who hosted a debate – which was Martha Raddatz who was also in the room.”

The stunned reporters tried to get a word in edgewise to discuss access to a Trump Administration.
    “[CBS Good Morning co-host Gayle] King did not stand up, but asked some question, ‘How do you propose we the media work with you?’ Chuck Todd asked some pretty pointed questions. David Muir asked ‘How are you going to cope living in DC while your family is in NYC? It was a horrible meeting.”

Trump spokeswoman Kellyanne Conway told reporters the gathering went well.

“Excellent meetings with the top executives of the major networks,” she said during a gaggle in the lobby of Trump Tower. “Pretty unprecedented meeting we put together in two days.”

The meeting was off the record, meaning the participants agreed not to talk about the substance of the conversations.

The hour-long session included top execs from network and cable news channels. Among the attendees were NBC’s Deborah Turness, Lester Holt and Chuck Todd, ABC’s James Goldston, George Stephanopoulos, David Muir and Martha Raddatz,

Also, CBS’ Norah O’Donnell John Dickerson, Charlie Rose, Christopher Isham and King, Fox News’ Bill Shine, Jack Abernethy, Jay Wallace, Suzanne Scott, MSNBC’s Phil Griffin and CNN’s Jeff Zucker and Erin Burnett.

Arthur Sulzberger, publisher of The New York Times, plans to meet with Trump Tuesday.

There was no immediate comment from the Trump Team.
    A lot of people would pay top dollar to be in the room for that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/col...ium=socialflow

Here, Jost reveals that he wasn’t just making a dumb joke, which is what comedians do. Instead, he was making an argument about a way forward for liberal America in the wake of Donald Trump’s victory. Jost was not ribbing his viewers with the idea that Hillary Clinton lost because Democrats focus too much on the intricacies of identity—which would have been fine, we can laugh at ourselves—he was, apparently, genuinely making a point about who and what the Democrats should prioritize over the next four years. Reasonable people can discuss ways in which the party can win back some of the white vote, but Jost is saying that liberals should deemphasize equal rights for all people because it alienates rednecks. (It’s also worth noting that Jost is wrong in the most narrow sense: “white, rural, religious Americans,” to pull a phrase from the Times, largely only have the vaguest notion of what Tinder is, and wouldn’t have known about its new policy.)
    It's insane to me that the Left refuses to allow any discussion about why they lost this election. Unless you believe that "hate won", you aren't allowed to engage in any self-reflection.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-22-2016), Jaw (11-22-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Well, given what you've been saying about Obama not doing enough to rein in Black Lives Matter, don't you think the other side has the right to make the same request? Trump doesn't have to do anything as far as I'm concerned, but I think he should probably say more than a sentence in an interview. He's trying to bring America together after all.
    Obama has legitimized BLM by inviting them to the white house. That's a big difference in my eyes when compared to Trump telling all the stupid Nazis to cut the BS.
    Natural Immunity Croc

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-22-2016), Garmel (11-22-2016), NinersSBChamps (11-22-2016), weso1 (11-22-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Obama has legitimized BLM by inviting them to the white house. That's a big difference in my eyes when compared to Trump telling all the stupid Nazis to cut the BS.
    The leaders of the BLM movement have denounced violence. If you're going to use this logic, you pretty much have to accept our criticisms of Bannon being a part of the Trump Administration, because being tangentially related to negative actions would then have to be the standard for criticism.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

goldfly (11-25-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post

It's insane to me that the Left refuses to allow any discussion about why they lost this election. Unless you believe that "hate won", you aren't allowed to engage in any self-reflection.
    Agreed. My take is that progressives have ceased to talk in language that resonates with working people. Poll after poll shows that most working people support a number of progressive solutions to problems facing America. It's not across-the-board support for all progressive issues, but enough to know that progressives have assembled an image of themselves that clearly undermines their ability to get their point across. I'm not saying "people are stupid and don't get it." I'm saying progressives have gotten too cute for their own good and it is hurting them. The policy elites on both sides of the debate are full of themselves, but conservatives have been able to convince the public that progressives are meddling do-gooders with no attachment to reality.

Here's a great article from The Washington Monthly (founded by Charles Peters, it's on the "pragmatic" left) that sums up the problem: http://washingtonmonthly.com/magazin...he-think-tank/

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I think it takes more than a trip to the White House to grant a group legitimacy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    The leaders of the BLM movement have denounced violence. If you're going to use this logic, you pretty much have to accept our criticisms of Bannon being a part of the Trump Administration, because being tangentially related to negative actions would then have to be the standard for criticism.
    Have you read their radical agenda? That's straight from their leadership.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I think it takes more than a trip to the White House to grant a group legitimacy.
    When the leader of the free world meets with you that absolutely grants legitimacy in the eyes of most people. I suppose that's an opinion bit I think a reasonable one at that.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (11-22-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I don't think he should be ignored. Twitter wants you to ignore him. I just don't think anyone should be scared of him. He's way over on the fringe.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Have you read their radical agenda? That's straight from their leadership.
    http://blacklivesmatter.com/about/

I mean, it's certainly a strong sentiment, but it seems like the agenda is to fight racism inherent in American society. I see nothing particularly objectionable if you agree that there is such a thing as systemic racism.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts

Is it really that insane?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    When the leader of the free world meets with you that absolutely grants legitimacy in the eyes of most people. I suppose that's an opinion bit I think a reasonable one at that.
    Well, obviously not with you.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    A lot of people would pay top dollar to be in the room for that.
    Yep and they deserve it too. Here's a list of them sourced from wikileaks.

http://www.ronpaullibertyreport.com/...fake-news-list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Well, obviously not with you.
    They have been legitimized and its just one of many mistakes that Obama has made.

That is why the R's made significant gains since he wont he presidency in 2008.
    Natural Immunity Croc

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts

From where I'm sitting, there have been plenty of discussions along those lines.

And, for whatever my opinion is worth, the "official" Clinton line has been sorely lacking.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    From where I'm sitting, there have been plenty of discussions along those lines.

And, for whatever my opinion is worth, the "official" Clinton line has been sorely lacking.
    Maybe it's a minority of Liberals that are walking the self-righteous line, but it's a loud minority, with huge platforms from diverse areas, that are policing the open dialogue that could and should be taking place.

As a moderate Republican, I could get on board with Democrats. I am for strict gun control, LGBTQ rights, healthcare reform, global warming, Wall Street regulations, etc.. But it's become impossible to associate myself with a party that openly doesn't care about white America.

FWIW, the Republican party also showed me that they no longer care about conservative principles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    .. But it's become impossible to associate myself with a party that openly doesn't care about white America.

FWIW, the Republican party also showed me that they no longer care about conservative principles.

Not sure that is a factual statement. The policies (D) has pushed since 1932 are to lift up all Americans.
    In fact some early New Deal programs were segregated

In these past 8 years alone Lilly Ledbetter was a white woman. My guess is as many if not more whites kept or gained their jobs
    by keeping the US auto industry afloat.

Just because one person or party advocates an equal playing field does not necessarily mean they
    don't "care".
    I am Caucasian and don't feel threatened by the Dream Act.

A high tide raises all boats.

Every other post from AA is about how (D) ignores black America.

How can you both be right ?
    Last edited by 57Brave; 11-22-2016 at 07:47 PM.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.