Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with Uggla now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think the problem is that to trade Uggla for salary relief, you probably have to send a prospect with him. Wren is going to have to balance the value of a prospect over just eating the $26 million. I don't think we can get anything for him straight up and all the other GMs in the game would just as soon wait for the designated-for-assignment notice, have him pass through waivers, and sign him for the minimum. I highly doubt there will be an intense bidding war for him, but if he's only going to be due the minimum, you might have a half dozen franchises willing to take a longer look.

And I agree with nsacpi that nothing probably happens until spring training. Everyone is going to want to see him against live pitching. That precludes signing Infante (at least to me) and as much as I like Omar Infante, I wonder if he'd be worth the investment.
    The other possibility is we take on another bad contract in getting rid of Uggla. I hate the idea of giving up a prospect or taking on a bad contract to move him. But it all depends on the details.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Honestly, I wouldn't even bring him to spring training. I think it will be too much of a distraction. Time to move on.
    Yeah, we've gotta make way for La Stella. Fresh off AA, he's already Ryne Sandberg lite.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Yeah, we've gotta make way for La Stella. Fresh off AA, he's already Ryne Sandberg lite.
    If La Stella retires tomorrow, does he still have to wait 6 years to be voted into the HOF? Hey, I'm interested in seeing how he'll do and I'm somewhat optimistic, but his name keeps getting tossed around like he's going to make us all forget the great Nellie Fox.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 10-27-2013 at 05:17 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (10-27-2013), mfree80 (10-27-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    If La Stella retires tomorrow, does he still have to wait 6 years to be voted into the HOF. Hey, I'm interested in seeing how he'll do and I'm somewhat optimistic, but his name keeps getting tossed around like he's going to make us all forget the great Nellie Fox.
    I think we're tossing his name around in a "he should be a lot more productive than uggla" way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    I think we're tossing his name around in a "he should be a lot more productive than uggla" way.
    It's approaching Andy Marte-level hype. Y'know, the guy who was going to force Chipper into an early retirement.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    If that's the bar, carry on.

Playing the Waiting Game BremanFan88's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts
    It's approaching Andy Marte-level hype.
    Link? Didn't think so... Hyperbole is fun though, I guess.
    All you need is Hart and Cox.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    It's approaching Andy Marte-level hype. Y'know, the guy who was going to force Chipper into an early retirement.
    Na not at all. I think most are hopeful and optimistic that he could be a solid contact, high-OBP guy, which would be beneficial to our lineup. No one claimed he would be Matt Carpenter, but simply comparing the stats is worth looking at. It's not likely he becomes any where near as good as Carpenter was this year, but it at least shows that it's not impossible.

He's giving us reasons to be optimistic, and that's worth discussing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    The ones who criticize the people talking about LaStella are more ridiculous than those talking about him. I've read no predictions that he will be the next great Atlanta Brave. Many have said he deserves a shot to win the job, which the argument can definitely be made, and others have posted reasonable number projections (I don't think any were above like .755 OPS, many around or below .700) which isn't crazy...

...but better than Uggla.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    I havent had time to read through all threads, but reading about a potential trade between the Braves and Reds(Phillips for Uggla) excites me. If Wren can pull that off, not only do we add a gold glove 2B, but a guy that drove in 100 runs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    It is the off season with little to no news. What do you expect? AFL is all we got right now.

And no one is throwing out huge projections for La Stella . Just excited for new blood with promise at the keystone.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BremanFan88 View Post
    Link? Didn't think so... Hyperbole is fun though, I guess.
    Link to what? Go back and read through the threads with references to him. It's past the point of overkill.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Link to what? Go back and read through the threads with references to him. It's past the point of overkill.
    What is past the point of overkill? Wanting to give him a shot and see what he's got based on his undeniably impressive numbers so far? No one is predicting him to be amazing. But better than what we've got? Why is that going too far?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    What is past the point of overkill? Wanting to give him a shot and see what he's got based on his undeniably impressive numbers so far? No one is predicting him to be amazing. But better than what we've got? Why is that going too far?
    So, he'll be in camp and get his opportunity, just like the others. It doesn't have to be a daily wankfest about another Braves prospect, whose undeniably impressive numbers have only been against minor league pitching.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Sounds like someone's upset that they weren't first on the La Stella bandwagon to me...just sayin'.

Exactly how many people do you know that frequent internet message boards that have the number of posters with expanded knowledge of their team's farm system where "daily wankfests" about prospects aren't the norm read them for other reasons anyway???

People here (and formerly Scout) have long gushed over prospects - it's the Braves' way. If you aren't interested in conversations about them that sometimes border on the absurd (your example of Marte), you're probably reading the wrong board.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-01-2013 at 08:34 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    How many productive players do the Braves have to produce over a five year span to make our fans realize that the minor league system knows how to develop players? Its amazing that we have fans that consistently want to go after over the hill players or trade many assets when its clear that we have a POTENTIAL replacement already waiting in the wings. I just don't get it.
    Natural Immunity Croc

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Garmel (11-01-2013), JohnAdcox (11-01-2013), Teheran_49 (11-01-2013), yeezus (11-01-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    It took a couple disasters (the Teixeira and Wainwright trades) and a switch to a new GM, but I think the Bravos now have the right approach in terms of keeping and giving opportunities to homegrown players rather than chasing after that mythical "missing piece" that will ensure a WS ring.

Wren has done a good job of only shipping out second-tier prospects. Delgado is probably the best prospect he's traded and I don't think we can complain about that trade. Wren did get lucky though when Dempster decided he didn't want to play for us.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

thethe (11-01-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    It took a couple disasters (the Teixeira and Wainwright trades) and a switch to a new GM, but I think the Bravos now have the right approach in terms of keeping and giving opportunities to homegrown players rather than chasing after that mythical "missing piece" that will ensure a WS ring.

Wren has done a good job of only shipping out second-tier prospects. Delgado is probably the best prospect he's traded and I don't think we can complain about that trade. Wren did get lucky though when Dempster decided he didn't want to play for us.
    Can't say how much I agree with this post. A mid market team cannot afford to chase players who are question marks. Nothing is more valueable than a league minimum player that is producing. Adrelton Simmons might have been the most valueable player in baseball last year.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Dodgers aren't picking up Mark Ellis' option, making him a free agent. Doesn't he make sense as a one year 2b? Assuming we move Uggla, of course.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stpeteirish View Post
    Dodgers aren't picking up Mark Ellis' option, making him a free agent. Doesn't he make sense as a one year 2b? Assuming we move Uggla, of course.
    No need to pay someone like Ellis or Infante. Just my opinion, but I have to think they'd only go after someone like that in the event they're not convinced La Stella's capable enough to eventually handle the job everyday. Have to figure they'd just kinda mix and match with Uggla, Johnson, Patornicky, La Stella, and Pena (when he returns) until Tommy's ready to play every day. Money thrown at guys like that when you have available in-house options would be much better spent on extensions.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

thethe (11-01-2013)