Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GM: McCann could get 100 million

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    My completely unsubstantiated theory is that he really wanted to stay in Atlanta near his family, but the Braves told him midseason that they weren't gonna be able to afford him. That's why he was so grumpy and on edge for the last part of the year and into the playoffs, because he knew he was gonna have to uproot his family and stuff.
    Interesting. I don't think anybody told him that, I think he saw Gattis' play and figured it out. He sure was grouchy this season, though. He became the put-your-head-down-and-run police. I would have loved to have seen him beat Gomez' ass.

Catching ages you quickly. It aged Brian quicker than that. He's actually not a good hitter by the last two months of the season. I'm not as confident as some that the DH helps here. Let a moneybags team pay for his decline. I think 16 x 5 is more realistic, but somebody might give him six.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    My theory regarding Macs "grumpiness" this year is simple. Hes a father now. It matures you quickly and the little things that usually dont bother you start to. I also think Chipper being gone contributed as well. Mac was the leader and took up for his guys whereas in the past he would have just defaulted to Chipper.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dunit24 For This Useful Post:

weso1 (10-21-2013)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I wonder with all the talk about McCanns future all season long, and his fall off the last 2 months coupled with teams early departure from playoffs, if the front office has any regrets about not moving him. Assuming that all the trade rumors with Texas are true.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Roto reporting a lot of big market teams will be in on Mac making that 100 mill more realistic than previously thought. Even the Yankees were mentioned. I wonder how a GA boy would fare in Ny in that market.

Anyway, enjoy those draft picks.
    Ivermectin Man

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    I wonder if McCann was taking note of what happened to Francoeur once he left the nest. Frenchy had a chance to sign a long term deal before he was dealt, right? Got to wonder if the Braves didn't offer his something similar. It might be tough for him to reconcile himself as a mercenary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Roto reporting a lot of big market teams will be in on Mac making that 100 mill more realistic than previously thought. Even the Yankees were mentioned. I wonder how a GA boy would fare in Ny in that market.

Anyway, enjoy those draft picks.
    Even the Yankees have absorbed the lesson that you don't want to commit too much payroll to players in their declining years. I don't think they would offer McCann a 100M contract. The Red Sox have learned the same lesson. I doubt they would do it. The Rangers would like to bring down payroll. I don't think they will offer McCann 100M. I don't think the Dodgers would either. Their next big move will be locking up Kershaw.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Now there's speculation that the Yankees could be potentially in on McCann, in addition to Beltran. A lot's depending on if the suspension holds with A Roid, then that would void his contract.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    I wonder if McCann was taking note of what happened to Francoeur once he left the nest. Frenchy had a chance to sign a long term deal before he was dealt, right? Got to wonder if the Braves didn't offer his something similar. It might be tough for him to reconcile himself as a mercenary.
    I believe Francoeur was offered the same deal that Mac took, and was offered it at the same time Mac was offered his. If memory serves me right, those deals were offered after their second season in Atlanta. Mac took the deal while Jeff decided to roll the dice as he apparently and mistakenly thought he was worth a lot more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    McCann would be fun to watch with that short porch to left in Yankee stadium. I could see him doing very well there. I wish him the best, I just don't want the Braves allocating some of our limited resources to a position where there is a cost-effective alternative...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    ESPN writers saying Yankees shouldnt spend big this winter.
    Dallas writer (Cowlishaw) saying Texas wont bid big on anyone other than Cruz but should trade Profar and Perez for Stanton.
    Bradley in AJC says big money to McCann would be a mistake.

Question and not wanting to go over the dead horse again but IF the market for McCann dries up what would realistic be for the Braves?

Would 4/50 fit both parties? In that case what would Gattis bring back? Any ideas other than Price?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    No one is going to pay McCann 100M. Think about it. Either 20M/year for 5 years or 17M/year for 6. The first one is too rich on a per year basis, the second one is also probably too rich on a per year and certainly too long. Catchers similar to McCann have tended to do ok through age 33. After that the risk of significant decline increases.

I think most teams interested in him will offer 4 years plus an option. 5 guaranteed years tops. An no one will approach 20M per year. Ain't gonna happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    No one is going to pay McCann 100M. Think about it. Either 20M/year for 5 years or 17M/year for 6. The first one is too rich on a per year basis, the second one is also probably too rich on a per year and certainly too long. Catchers similar to McCann have tended to do ok through age 33. After that the risk of significant decline increases.

I think most teams interested in him will offer 4 years plus an option. 5 guaranteed years tops. An no one will approach 20M per year. Ain't gonna happen.
    Thanks for the effort but you didnt answer the questions.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PawPawMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (10-25-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I would re-sign McCann. Hold on to Gattis for another season, then trade him to an American League team. Depth is very important, especially at catcher. McCann, Laird and Gattis all spent time on the DL this year. So did Heyward, Schafer, BJ and Freeman. Even with both McCann and Gattis, both are likely to get 400 or more ABs.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-25-2013 at 01:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I would re-sign McCann. Hold on to Gattis for another season, then trade him to an American League team. Depth is very important, especially at catcher. McCann, Laird and Gattis all spent time on the DL this year. So did Heyward, Schafer, BJ and Freeman. Even with both McCann and Gattis, both are likely to get 400 or more ABs.
    Thanks again but I still havent asked what YOU would do. My questions are in order: Could Braves afford to offer and would McCann accept 4/20. And in the even that happened what would a reasonable return for Gattis be other than a start on David Price. IMO he would be one of the biggest trade chips in baseball should Atlanta decide to shop him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Thanks again but I still havent asked what YOU would do. My questions are in order: Could Braves afford to offer and would McCann accept 4/20. And in the even that happened what would a reasonable return for Gattis be other than a start on David Price. IMO he would be one of the biggest trade chips in baseball should Atlanta decide to shop him.
    With the new national TV revenues, I think they could fit McCann into the budget. I think they could even squeeze in both McCann and Price (with some savings by not re-signing Hudson). But I would prefer to keep both Gattis and McCann for 2014. I think Gattis will improve further over the next year and his trade value will increase. If we re-sign McCann we'll have a tremendous amount of flexibility with Bethancourt and Caratini come up through the farm system.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I don't think it's the annual salary that will (or should at least) keep the Braves out of the bidding on McCann. I'd give him a million or two over market if he signed a three-year deal with a club option on the fourth. That probably isn't happening. It's the length of contracts--not the size--that has been hurting the Braves recently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I don't think it's the annual salary that will (or should at least) keep the Braves out of the bidding on McCann. I'd give him a million or two over market if he signed a three-year deal with a club option on the fourth. That probably isn't happening. It's the length of contracts--not the size--that has been hurting the Braves recently.
    If both McCann and the Braves want to make this work, they should do three years with vesting options. That kind of structure protects the team if the player declines, but also rewards the player if he remains healthy and productive.

My feeling is McCann would like to stay. There aren't too many veterans on this team (McCann, Hudson, and Uggla). And they could all be gone next year.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-25-2013 at 02:17 PM.