Thread: 2015 Draft

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

2015 Draft

Now that Shields has signed, we know we're sitting on the #14 and #28 picks. There will obviously be ups-and-downs while most of the kids play out their seasons. As it stands now we're not only in a position to get much more athletic if we do return to drafting high school kids with major upside but to also add a handful of local kids right off the bat. My personal early preferences...

14.) Daz Cameron - CF, Eagles Landing HS - Mike's son profiles A LOT like his Dad. Top-flight athlete that was getting some J-Up comps before last season who seems to have slipped a bit because he didn't take a major step forward last summer. FanGraphs: #8, BA: #14.

28.) Kyle Tucker - OF, Plant HS (Tampa) - Plus raw power with more projection and already a good feel for barreling the ball up. The FanGraphs article mentions that his swing has drawn Ted Williams/Junior/Strawberry comps. FanGraphs: #25, BA: #28.

Second Round - Mac Marshall should be floating around about the time we pick in the 2nd after choosing to go to Chippola JC last year, and while FanGraphs early list had Alonzo Jones (Columbus, GA) as high as #18 BA has him at #41. You also have Cornelius Randolph at #40 on BA's early list - he's a 3B from Griffin HS.

If these kids all happen to be available when we pick, I could see us landing three of them at somewhat below-slot deals that would allow us to make another splash later in the draft. I don't think signability will be a concern for ANY of them.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-09-2015), cajunrevenge (03-04-2015), JohnAdcox (02-09-2015), parkvadawg (02-09-2015), thethe (02-10-2015)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,283 Posts
    I'm guessing pitcher.

And I'm going to punch someone if we go cheap in the draft.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-09-2015), cajunrevenge (02-09-2015), jpx7 (02-09-2015), Julio3000 (02-09-2015), Prikichi (02-09-2015), Tapate50 (02-09-2015), thethe (02-10-2015)

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    I'm guessing pitcher.

And I'm going to punch someone if we go cheap in the draft.
    I couldn't agree more. We damn well better not be picking someone the likes of Gilmartin with these first round picks or I'm knocking hell out of something too. I have renewed hope that this new regime will pick high ceiling guys and not high floor, low ceiling ones. At least I certainly hope so.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I don't really see a Pitcher that makes sense with our first pick unless someone slides - given the stash of arms Hart & Company have now built, I don't think they'll be looking at a college arm at #14. I can't see Justin Hooper or Kolby Allard dropping that far unless something major goes wrong this spring. Phil Bickford might be able to impress enough to climb that high on our board, but I wouldn't hold my breath. unless one of those things happens it's a surprisingly light year for 1st Round caliber HS arms - that's all of them other than Ashe Russell (BA's #12) until you get to the next wave down in the 40s on the current board.

This year projects as a relatively weak draft overall - if you're ever going to take a chance on high-ceiling/toolsy/projectable guys early this is your year.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Now that Shields has signed, we know we're sitting on the #14 and #28 picks. There will obviously be ups-and-downs while most of the kids play out their seasons. As it stands now we're not only in a position to get much more athletic if we do return to drafting high school kids with major upside but to also add a handful of local kids right off the bat. My personal early preferences...

14.) Daz Cameron - CF, Eagles Landing HS - Mike's son profiles A LOT like his Dad. Top-flight athlete that was getting some J-Up comps before last season who seems to have slipped a bit because he didn't take a major step forward last summer. FanGraphs: #8, BA: #14.

28.) Kyle Tucker - OF, Plant HS (Tampa) - Plus raw power with more projection and already a good feel for barreling the ball up. The FanGraphs article mentions that his swing has drawn Ted Williams/Junior/Strawberry comps. FanGraphs: #25, BA: #28.

Second Round - Mac Marshall should be floating around about the time we pick in the 2nd after choosing to go to Chippola JC last year, and while FanGraphs early list had Alonzo Jones (Columbus, GA) as high as #18 BA has him at #41. You also have Cornelius Randolph at #40 on BA's early list - he's a 3B from Griffin HS.

If these kids all happen to be available when we pick, I could see us landing three of them at somewhat below-slot deals that would allow us to make another splash later in the draft. I don't think signability will be a concern for ANY of them.
    I'm old and turning into Mr. Magoo, so when I read "Mac Marshall," my brain said "Mike Marshall" and I thought . . .

or . . .

Seriously, Mac Marshall would be good. Maybe we're the reason he transferred to Chipola.

I'm with MFII. No low-balling aloud.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Here's the full draft order and bonus pools from BA. Braves have the 5th largest bonus pool at $8,702,808.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...draft-order-2/

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-09-2015), Braves1976 (02-09-2015)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    If you think Mac Marshall is a potential get below slot, then you don't know his draft history. To hell with finding bargains in the draft; the Braves have been finding them for years and geting exactly what they paid for. This is the most important draft the Braves willl have this decade; no bargain hunting allowed until you get to the middle rounds.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,987 Posts
    For the record, Mac Marshall is 1-1 with 9 Ks and 4 BBs in 2 starts totaling 6 IP. ERA is 6.00.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    Are there any prospects currently recovering from TJ surgery? We need like 3 or 4 of those.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    If you think Mac Marshall is a potential get below slot, then you don't know his draft history. To hell with finding bargains in the draft; the Braves have been finding them for years and geting exactly what they paid for. This is the most important draft the Braves willl have this decade; no bargain hunting allowed until you get to the middle rounds.
    Since he's been drafted once, I believe it's pretty straightforward. The point is he's got less leverage than he did at this time last year, and if he doesn't come up with some impressive results in his next handful of starts that leverage dwindles - teams aren't going to go over slot to sign him with so-so showings at Chippola and he'll just have to wait another year and hope he gets better because next year's draft class already looks better.

ALL teams are going to bargain hunt as long as the current system is in place - that doesn't mean they'll deviate significantly from their board to target someone 3 rounds later, but drafting guys like Cameron and a Tucker or Demi Orimoloye in the first, someone you like that will sign for slot in the second, and below-slot guys in the third and fourth is an absolutely legitimate strategy if someone like Allard or Hooper starts sliding.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,987 Posts
    Mac Marshall Update. He's pitched very well as of late. 3 straight Ws and only one earned run surrendered over his last 15 IP. 20 Ks and 5 BBs over the same stretch. Cumulative stats: 4-1 W/L. 2.14 ERA. 29/9 K:BB.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,422 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I'm old and turning into Mr. Magoo, so when I read "Mac Marshall," my brain said "Mike Marshall" and I thought . . .

Has anyone else seen Dr Mike Marshall's pitching instructionals ??