Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: September Call-Ups

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts

September Call-Ups

Who all do you expect to be called up when rosters expand in September?

*Typically the Braves don't call up a ton of guys, usually 2-3 position guys along with a pitcher or two.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blueagleace1 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (08-21-2014), The Chosen One (08-20-2014)

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,038 Posts
    Hopefully outfielders who know how to communicate for starters. Can we call up a 3B coach?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-22-2014)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,021 Posts
    Pastornicky and Betancourt would be obvious choices once they return from the DL. Probably Donnie Murphy. I would think Cunningham as well.

Among pitchers I think you'll see at least 2 of Jaime, Schlosser, Thomas, and Shreve. Would love to see all 4 up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts
    Bethancourt is currently on the DL. Assuming he recovers, he is likely to be called up. Constanza is another guy who I think could help us as a pinch hitter and pinch runner. The third guy I think is likely is Shreve. Another lefty in the pen can't hurt. Some other possibilities: Cunningham, Pastornicky, Jaime, Terdoslavich. The Braves tend not to call up more than three or four.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,422 Posts
    Not so sure about Pastornicky-- he lost his number

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    Everyone on the 40 man should be called up whe their season is over with.You never know when you'll need depth.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I know the Braves have traditionally gone light on the call-ups, but I'd rather see more guys this season. We could use the bp depth and some guys who can run and (perish the thought) hit off the bench.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,006 Posts
    I'm thinking we'll see Jaime, Shreve, Constanza and Bethancourt.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I know the Braves have traditionally gone light on the call-ups, but I'd rather see more guys this season. We could use the bp depth and some guys who can run and (perish the thought) hit off the bench.
    ANyone who has been sent down and had an option used should be up. Doesn't make any sense to do otherwise. Terds, Jaime, Shreve, Thomas, Bethancourt, Pastor, Cunningham, and COnstanza at the least.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    ANyone who has been sent down and had an option used should be up. Doesn't make any sense to do otherwise. Terds, Jaime, Shreve, Thomas, Bethancourt, Pastor, Cunningham, and COnstanza at the least.
    The Braves do not want to pay to have 40 guys on the active roster. They've shown that in the past.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    The Braves do not want to pay to have 40 guys on the active roster. They've shown that in the past.

Which is not a smart move in a pennant race.

What if there is one 18 inning game that is the difference in us going to the playoffs or not. We might have guys who could have pinch hit or pinch run watching said game on TV.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I'm thinking we'll see Jaime, Shreve, Constanza and Bethancourt.
    This the most sensible list. Buchter, Terdoslavich, Pastornicky would be others depending on health issues and games behind.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I think they will call up a ton of guys this season, maybe 7 or 8. Shreve and Jaime for sure. Schlosser and Buchter are possibilities. Is Thomas healthy. If so, he's a for sure. Hopefully Simmons will return to health. He had a very rough rehab outing earlier in the week.

As for position players, Constanza, Cunningham, Terdoslavich, Pastornicky, and Bethancourt (if healthy) would all be candidates. Someone would have to go off the 40-man for Donnie Murphy to be added, but that wouldn't be a surprise. I could even see Elmer Reyes being added. Only thing that would put a crimp in this is the travel budget.

Playing the Waiting Game BremanFan88's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts
    Hopefully someone that will platoon with Jason and Freeman.
    All you need is Hart and Cox.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts
    Terdoslavich stating his case by homering in five straight games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Snitker.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Here is my detailed opinion on some of the guys who have been mentioned above as well as if I think they will be called up...

Pitchers:

1. Juan Jamie- Jamie's first stint with the big club was a successful one as he showed he could handle some late inning duties mainly by not walking guys (which has always been his problem in the minors and probably the reason he hadn't been promoted sooner), then in his second stint he showed why the Braves have been hesitant to promote him by walking guys and throwing multiple wild pitches. However, he's shown the capability to pitch late in games and with the uncertainty surrounding Shea Simmons he would provide late-inning depth for Walden and Carpenter. Verdict: Will receive September call-up

2. Gus Schlosser- Gus broke camp with the Braves and pitched well during his first few appearances then started to fade a little towards the end of his big league stint, while getting hit harder as he made more appearances. When he first got sent down to Gwinnett he was to be stretched out as a starter, after making 15 starts for Gwinnett he started to struggle late and was moved back to the bullpen. With David Hale proving to be a reliable long man and better options to serve as one inning type relievers, I don't foresee a need for Schlosser provided Hale stays healthy. However, if the Braves feel like they would like to have another long-man, Schlosser would be that guy. Verdict: Will NOT receive September call-up

3. Ian Thomas- Thomas like Schlosser broke camp with the Braves and pitched OK while up with the big club. Since being sent to Gwinnett Ian has bounced around from the rotation to the bullpen, where he was at before being placed on the DL. Even if healthy I don't foresee him being called up since we have Avilan and Russell currently up at the ML level and I personally believe Ryan Buchter or Chasen Shreve project better as a LOOGY's and would get the call over Thomas. Verdict- Will NOT receive September call-up

4. Chasen Shreve- Shreve got an unexpected call-up earlier in the summer to the big club to serve as a left-handed arm in the bullpen. While only appearing in 5 games, Shreve pitched fairly well (giving up 1 ER in 5 innings (1.80 E.R.A)) he has pitched extremely well at AA/AAA this year posting a 2.43 E.R.A between the two levels. I imagine the Braves will call-up a lefty to serve as a LOOGY (left-handed-one-out-guy) and it will come down to him and Ryan Buchter. Verdict: Will NOT receive September call-up

5. Ryan Buchter- Buchter has pitched primarily at AAA this year while also getting a small cup of coffee for a brief stint. While pitching to a 3.38 E.R.A out of the 'pen doesn't flash greatness at you, Buchter has been absolutely lights out against left-handed batters this year evident by his 0.73 ERA, and .205 .AVG. As pointed out above I believe the Braves will call up a lefty to just pitch to lefties and as Buchter's splits show he could very well be that guy. Verdict: Will receive September call-up

* I hope that Jonny Venters will have progressed enough for the Braves to get him into a few games late in September. If healthy, he could provide us with a very good left-handed arm who is capable of getting both left and right-handed hitter out.

Position Players:

1. Tyler Pastornicky: "Rev" has been up and down all year between the ML and AAA clubs. At the major league level Tyler has struggled this year hitting .200 with only 2 RBI's and no stolen bases while playing primarily second base. With the acquisition of Emilio Bonifacio and the emergence of both Tommy LaStella and Phil Gosselin to go along with Ramiro Pena, there does't seem to be a need for another middle infielder. Tyler is also currently on the DL which doesn't bode well for his already slim chances. Verdict: Will NOT receive September call-up

2. Christian Bethancourt- Atlanta's catcher of the future finally got an extended look this summer when Evan Gattis was placed on the DL for his back, and he didn't disappoint. It has been know for some time that Bethancourt was ML ready from a defensive standpoint, the question was "Is he going to hit enough" to stay. Well CB reminded us all of how strong he is defensively during his 2+ week stint but also showed that his offense might not be as far behind as many once thought as he hit .240 and drove in 3 runs in his 13 games. Currently on the DL with Gwinnett, if Bethancourt can prove he's healthy he pretty much a lock for a call-up and it wouldn't surprise me to see him get quite a few starts as well as entering the game late for Gattis for his superior defense if the Braves have a lead. Verdict: Will receive September call-up

3. Donnie Murphy- The Braves recently signed Murphy to a Minor League contract to provide some infield depth. Murphy has Major League experience with some coming this year, although he struggled with Texas before being DFA'ed. He's played primarily third base with Gwinnett, but can also play 2nd base, and SS. Again, as long as Chris Johnson, Ramiro Pena, Phil Gosselin, and Emilio Bonifacio remain healthy, I just don't see where Murphy fits in. Another major factor with Murphy is that the Braves would have to create a spot on their 40-man roster for him. Verdict: Will NOT receive September call-up

4. Todd Cunningham- Cunningham got his first call-up last year and while he only received 8 at-bats he at least showed he could be a quality 4th outfielder. Now that the Braves have cut ties with Jordan Schafer they don't currently have another true center fielder to back up B.J Upton. Bonifacio has been that guy since loosing Schafer, but he may be best served as a super-utility guy. Cunningham has had a pretty strong year at AAA (.283 AVG, 8 homers, and 16 SB's) and could become our 4th outfielder who is capable of playing all three outfield spots. Verdict: Will receive September call-up

5. Joey Terdoslavich- "Terdo" like many others made his big league debut last year when outfielder Reed Johnson got hurt. Serving primarily as a pinch hitter Terdoslavich also played LF, RF, and First base for the Braves last year. This year at Gwinnett he has continued to play all three positions which could help his cause in getting a September call-up. A switch hitter, Terdo struggled early on to find his power stroke but here recently he has found it and found it big by hitting 6 homers in the last 7 days. If he were to get called up, he could be someone Fredi G turns to late in games to pinch hit and provide some power (the Braves lack pop off the bench) as well giving us a viable option to spell Freddie Freeman a game. Verdict: Will receive September call-up

6. Jose Constanza- "Georgie" has been up and down over the past 4 seasons and while he has yet to be called up this year, he possess something no one can teach... speed. Constanza was put on last years postseason roster for that one reason, and while he didn't really get to show off that speed, he did come up with a bases loaded pinch hit single against the Dodgers in game 4 to give us the lead (well before tragedy struck and David Carpenter hung a breaking ball to Juan Uribe). Constanza is an outfielder who can play all three outfield positions, he is best suited to play LF or pinch run. He is having a very strong year at Gwinnett hitting .296 and stealing 30 bases and would give the Braves someone who can swipe a bag late in games if called up. Verdict: Will receive September call-up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    So at the end of the day I believe the Braves will have a September roster that breaks down like this:

Pitchers:

Starters:

Aaron Harang
    Mike Minor
    Ervin Santana
    Julio Teheran
    Alex Wood

Bullpen:

Luis Avilan
    Ryan Buchter
    David Carpenter
    David Hale
    Juan Jamie
    Craig Kimbrel
    James Russell
    Anthony Varvaro
    Jordan Walden
    *Jonny Venters (hopefully he is able to at least pitch in a single game this year for his own sake)

Position Players:

Infielders:

Christian Bethancourt
    Emilio Bonifacio
    Ryan Doumit
    Freddie Freeman
    Evan Gattis
    Phil Gosselin
    Chris Johnson
    Gerald Laird
    Tommy LaStella
    Ramiro Pena
    Andrelton Simmons

Outfielders:

Jose Constanza
    Todd Cunningham
    Jason Heyward
    Joey Terdoslavich
    B.J Upton
    Justin Upton

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Shreve definitely will; check recent outings. Venters isn't ready, isn't close. Don't think we'll see Buchter again.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    3. Donnie Murphy- The Braves recently signed Murphy to a Minor League contract to provide some infield depth. Murphy has Major League experience with some coming this year, although he struggled with Texas before being DFA'ed. He's played primarily third base with Gwinnett, but can also play 2nd base, and SS. Again, as long as Chris Johnson, Ramiro Pena, Phil Gosselin, and Emilio Bonifacio remain healthy, I just don't see where Murphy fits in. Another major factor with Murphy is that the Braves would have to create a spot on their 40-man roster for him. Verdict: Will NOT receive September call-up

The Braves do have a spot open on the 40-man, there is one available, so that will not be a factor. I think you might see Murphy if they don't make a trade for someone outside the organization before Aug. 31