Page 417 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 3173674074154164174184194274675179171417 ... LastLast
Results 8,321 to 8,340 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Gerard Baker, the editor in chief of The Wall Street Journal, has faced unease and frustration in his newsroom over his stewardship of the newspaper’s coverage of President Trump, which some journalists there say has lacked toughness and verve.

Some staff members expressed similar concerns on Wednesday after Mr. Baker, in a series of blunt late-night emails, criticized his staff over their coverage of Mr. Trump’s Tuesday rally in Phoenix, describing their reporting as overly opinionated.

Sorry. This is commentary dressed up as news reporting,” Mr. Baker wrote at 12:01 a.m. on Wednesday morning to a group of Journal reporters and editors, in response to a draft of the rally article that was intended for the newspaper’s final edition.

He added in a follow-up, “Could we please just stick to reporting what he said rather than packaging it in exegesis and selective criticism?

---

It's interesting you didn't quote us the rest of that New York Times report which is very telling.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    It's interesting you didn't quote us the rest of that New York Times report which is very telling.
    This month, Politico obtained and published a transcript of a White House interview with Mr. Trump conducted by Mr. Baker and several Journal reporters and editors. Unusually for an editor in chief, Mr. Baker took a leading role in the interview and made small talk with Mr. Trump about travel and playing golf.

When Ivanka Trump, the president’s older daughter, walked into the Oval Office, Mr. Baker told her, according to the transcript, “It was nice to see you out in Southampton a couple weeks ago,” apparently referring to a party that the two had attended.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    They're best buds and he's clearly giving Trump preferential treatment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    so anything he says about the coverage not being balanced should be taken with a grain of salt.

That said, as a trained journalist, I wouldn't have said "reshape." The rest was a fair assessment.

But the world we live in now is where people like him can cry fake news and more and more people get more fired up about idiotic ESPN sidelining the first ever Asian confederate while shrugging their shoulders when cable news networks advance conspiracy theories like Seth Rich.
    Last edited by bravesnumberone; 08-23-2017 at 05:19 PM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    so anything he says about the coverage not being balanced should be taken with a grain of salt.
    Nevermind that he works for Rupert Murdoch. Or the WSJ.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    "pivoted away from remarks a day earlier in which he had solemnly called for unity"

That's factually disingenuous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    A large portion of that speech was designed to provoke fear, division and us vs. them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

CK86 (08-23-2017)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Baker made legitimate editorial critiques. He didn't turn his writers away from the story, he chastised them for an exercise in over-extrapolation.

In a time where we're witnessing this convoluted foreplay between news and entertainment on daily basis, when CNN thinks it's acceptable journalistic practice for their contributors (not doctors, not even reporters) to publicly - and seriously - question Trump's sanity on-air, an instance of an editor telling his staff to do their jobs is seriously refreshing. Especially when it's well within the bounds of both reason and tradecraft.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    Baker made legitimate editorial critiques. He didn't turn his writers away from the story, he chastised them for an exercise in over-extrapolation.

In a time where we're witnessing this convoluted foreplay between news and entertainment on daily basis, when CNN thinks it's acceptable journalistic practice for their contributors (not doctors, not even reporters) to publicly - and seriously - question Trump's sanity on-air, an instance of an editor telling his staff to do their jobs is seriously refreshing. Especially when it's well within the bounds of both reason and tradecraft.
    There is zero evidence to the contrary that the WSJ reporters haven't been doing their jobs well. I'm not a big CNN fan but Carl Bernstein is one that brought up the mental health angle. I would say he knows a thing or two about journalism and I don't believe it's an unreasonable question to ask given some of the crazy stuff that comes out of his mouth from his fingers on twitter.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Mitch McConnell has 9% approval.

Paul Ryan 16%.
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/1600/congress-public.aspx

If you scroll down you see where they ask people about their rep vs. most reps and there's a clear trend. It doesn't matter if 250 million American's disapprove of the Turtleman, if about 1 Million Kentuckians do he keeps his job.

Trump can't keep his job if his approval ratings stay low. One of the reasons LBJ didn't run for re-election (election? I forget if he actually won one or just had Kennedy's coat tails the whole time) was because his approval ratings were tanking. Even presidents who lost re-election like Ford and GHWB had approval ratings around 50%.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    64 over Goldwater.
    It was written as the death of the GOP.

Congressional approval ratings began with Nixon during Watergate as a PR defense against Congressional impeachment
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    http://observer.com/2017/08/de-blasi...us-statue/amp/

A proposal to remove a statue of the explorer Christopher Columbus on the Upper West Side will receive “immediate attention” by Mayor Bill de Blasio’s office in the wake of violence stemming from a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Va.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    http://observer.com/2017/08/de-blasi...us-statue/amp/

A proposal to remove a statue of the explorer Christopher Columbus on the Upper West Side will receive “immediate attention” by Mayor Bill de Blasio’s office in the wake of violence stemming from a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Va.
    [MENTION=4]Julio3000[/MENTION] this is the second thing related to Columbus. if anyone is a founder........

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    There is zero evidence to the contrary that the WSJ reporters haven't been doing their jobs well. I'm not a big CNN fan but Carl Bernstein is one that brought up the mental health angle. I would say he knows a thing or two about journalism and I don't believe it's an unreasonable question to ask given some of the crazy stuff that comes out of his mouth from his fingers on twitter.
    Is Carl Bernstein a physician? Is he qualified to make that assessment? I'm not sure what he said exactly, and I wasn't referring to him with my original comment. My issue is with the "early-onset dementia" and "psychotically demented" comments on Don Lemon's show last night.

As for the WSJ, I am just talking about the article in question, not in general.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    [MENTION=4]Julio3000[/MENTION] this is the second thing related to Columbus. if anyone is a founder........

I'll bet you New Yorkers will have no problem taken Columbus Day off of work.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    ESPN President's internal memo:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    I'll bet you New Yorkers will have no problem taken Columbus Day off of work.
    Columbus Day, the holiday was just Roosevelt placating the KoC.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Well, Columbus has been a thing for a while.

What was his role in the founding, though?

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Is Carl Bernstein a physician? Is he qualified to make that assessment? I'm not sure what he said exactly, and I wasn't referring to him with my original comment. My issue is with the "early-onset dementia" and "psychotically demented" comments on Don Lemon's show last night.

As for the WSJ, I am just talking about the article in question, not in general.
    All the sophisticated critiques of the media these days. Goodness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Well, Columbus has been a thing for a while.

What was his role in the founding, though?
    He landed in the Caribbean and killed a ****ton of natives and was a dick to his Spanish Colonists.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

CK86 (08-23-2017)