Thread: MLB experimenting with huge new rule changes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,145 Posts
    MLBPA gained 1 roster spot for 6 months by giving up 12 roster spots for 1 month. This change is a net positive for players if the 26th roster spot earns an average salary over 2x the league minimum. If teams use the extra roster spot on a cheap player (like they currently do with the end of the roster), the MLBPA actually lost money.

The goal of the trade deadline change was to add incentive for off season additions since adding at the end of the year is now more difficult. I have a hard time seeing how this will make any measurable difference for FAs, but at least it wil make the trade deadline easier for more casual fans to understand.

I'm shocked teams agreed to shorten commercial breaks. Unless it's something silly like 5 seconds, this could actually shorten game times a bit.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-14-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,496 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    MLBPA gained 1 roster spot for 6 months by giving up 12 roster spots for 1 month. This change is a net positive for players if the 26th roster spot earns an average salary over 2x the league minimum. If teams use the extra roster spot on a cheap player (like they currently do with the end of the roster), the MLBPA actually lost money.

The goal of the trade deadline change was to add incentive for off season additions since adding at the end of the year is now more difficult. I have a hard time seeing how this will make any measurable difference for FAs, but at least it wil make the trade deadline easier for more casual fans to understand.

I'm shocked teams agreed to shorten commercial breaks. Unless it's something silly like 5 seconds, this could actually shorten game times a bit.
    Not a terrible idea to shorten the commercial breaks. Teams can charge a little higher price per commercial so there won't be too much lost revenue. And honestly, there could be advertisements done during the game while you are waiting for the hitter to get to the box, or in between pitches...kinda like listening to the game on the radio
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Not a terrible idea to shorten the commercial breaks. Teams can charge a little higher price per commercial so there won't be too much lost revenue. And honestly, there could be advertisements done during the game while you are waiting for the hitter to get to the box, or in between pitches...kinda like listening to the game on the radio

If it raises ratings, it should end up working out fine.