Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Offseason top 10

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Haha...Like I said I like Jenkins, but I think he has limited upside. We seem to be focusing on the upside more than the safe prospet right now. I'm not advocating a trade, just saying he's one likely to be dealt if a deal comes through.
    Jenkins needs a strike out pitch.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (08-12-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Jenkins was profiled as last 5 off of keith laws top 100. Klaw priorities upside

Suck it
    Before the season. I assure you, he wouldn't put him there now. His upside is that of a back-end starter at this point.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I agree. IMO his stuff is mor. But he has never had the k numbers to go with it. Reverse Whalen.

I just don't think we should make judgements is these SSS.

A lot of times it takes some time. Glavine would have been trade bait on here.

Especially young pitchers...they have to fail a lot. Exceptions for the Fernandez of the world but those are your top ten types

Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Jenkins needs a strike out pitch.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,286 Posts
    Jenkins will always have low strike out numbers, but he should be a guy that hovers around 60% with his GB%. I don't think its that big of a deal.

But he has to walk less than 3 per 9. It's the only way he can stick in a rotation.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (08-12-2016), clvclv (08-12-2016), Garmel (08-12-2016), Tapate50 (08-13-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Assuming the following players are locked into positions for 2017:

1B - Freeman (duh)
    2B - Albies (at some point)
    SS - Swanson (at some point)
    LF - Kemp (they clearly think he is "the answer"...for now)
    CF - Inciarte/Mallex (one will be traded)
    RF - Markakis (his "steadiness" is more valuable to the Braves than other teams)

The Braves need to add C, 3B and probably a decent #4 starter. Given the FA options available and the monetary resources the Braves have, I would like to see only 1 addition made via trade and the other 2 made via FA signing.

For 3B:

Top option: Trade for Baez. I could see the Cubs needing to acquire a CFer this offseason to go along with Schwarber, Soler and Heyward in the corners. With their infield of Bryant, Russell, Zobrist and Rizzo pretty well set, Baez is expendable. I could see the two teams lining up on a trade based around Inciarte.

Acceptable options: Anyone from the large group of FA options, whichever presents the best value late in the offseason. No need to pay a premium for any of them since someone will almost certainly be available in February at a bargain rate.

Unacceptable options: Anyone currently in the Braves organization.

For C:

Top option: Sign Jason Castro. Good defense, should be a decent platoon partner with Flowers. Should be cheap.

Acceptable options: Trade for Derek Norris or Mac, whichever represents the better value. If a trade is made for a catcher I would like to see a 3B acquired via FA signing rather than trade.

Unacceptable options: Anyone else. Weiters would be an especially terrible signing, and I think Ramos will sign for Martin/Mac money (5/80) and his new team will regret it.

For #4 Starter:

No idea. I assume it will be a battle between several scrap heap additions. I wanted Matt Latos last offseason and that turned out to be a terrible idea, so I trust the Braves to find the next Bud Norris.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-12-2016 at 01:11 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

chop2chip (08-12-2016)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Assuming the following players are locked into positions for 2017:

1B - Freeman (duh)
    2B - Albies (at some point)
    SS - Swanson (at some point)
    LF - Kemp (they clearly think he is "the answer"...for now)
    CF - Inciarte/Mallex (one will be traded)
    RF - Markakis (his "steadiness" is more valuable to the Braves than other teams)

The Braves need to add C, 3B and probably a decent #4 starter. Given the FA options available and the monetary resources the Braves have, I would like to see only 1 addition made via trade and the other 2 made via FA signing.

For 3B:

Top option: Trade for Baez. I could see the Cubs needing to acquire a CFer this offseason to go along with Schwarber, Soler and Heyward in the corners. With their infield of Bryant, Russell, Zobrist and Rizzo pretty well set, Baez is expendable. I could see the two teams lining up on a trade based around Inciarte.

Acceptable options: Anyone from the large group of FA options, whichever presents the best value late in the offseason. No need to pay a premium for any of them since someone will almost certainly be available in February at a bargain rate.

Unacceptable options: Anyone currently in the Braves organization.

For C:

Top option: Sign Jason Castro. Good defense, should be a decent platoon partner with Flowers. Should be cheap.

Acceptable options: Trade for Derek Norris or Mac, whichever represents the better value. If a trade is made for a catcher I would like to see a 3B acquired via FA signing rather than trade.

Unacceptable options: Anyone else. Weiters would be an especially terrible signing, and I think Ramos will sign for Martin/Mac money (5/80) and his new team will regret it.

For #4 Starter:

No idea. I assume it will be a battle between several scrap heap additions. I wanted Matt Latos last offseason and that turned out to be a terrible idea, so I trust the Braves to find the next Bud Norris.
    Maddon loves to have options, so I'm not sure he's available. If they plan on breaking in Ian Happ into that role he might be available. If he is, he would definitely be a guy I'd look to.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Maddon loves to have options, so I'm not sure he's available. If they plan on breaking in Ian Happ into that role he might be available. If he is, he would definitely be a guy I'd look to.
    If Baez isn't available than Happ probably is. I could get on board with Happ at 3b assuming he had the arm for it.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    I would not object if we made an offer for Kyle Seager.

Arizona Fall Leaguer braves31win's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Afraid I'd have almost no interest in many of those options.

The Target list...

Maybe Mac if Cashman got his heart right. Maybe Grichuk if the price were right.

The FA list...

Castro if they don't get Mac.

I wouldn't move a single player on your Trade Away list other than Ellis in a Mac deal unless it was for someone you haven't listed.

As a Houstonian, I hope we stay far far away from castro. The guy sucks

13. The Following User Says Thank You to braves31win For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-13-2016)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    I would not object if we made an offer for Kyle Seager.
    I would love to have Seager, but I don't see them having a replacement.

Tyler Oneil still looks like the guy I want, They have Cruz, Leonys, and Smith under contract for 2017 with Kyle Lewis and Alex Jackson looking to be ready by 2018. They have Peterson and Vogelbech ready to take over DH. Oneil could be had in the right deal.