Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GDT: 9/17 Washington vs. Atlanta ... losing before dark; what a concept!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    A couple months ago, I caught some flak projecting that Inciarte, Kemp and Markakis could generate about 6 WAR next year. Doesn't look so outlandish anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    A couple months ago, I caught some flak projecting that Inciarte, Kemp and Markakis could generate about 6 WAR next year. Doesn't look so outlandish anymore.
    I do think Markakis is gone next year, but he's been really solid and is an almost perfect 5-hole hitter, even with the lack of power. That being said, I said see Mallex not given the job.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,858 Posts
    Given full seasons out of all of them I don't think that's too outlandish. Ender is likely close to 4 by himself.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    It's been really nice to see the offense come alive. Obviously a team BABIP of .350+ is in no way sustainable over the course of a season, but it does bode well for us having a league average offense or better next year, which would be a gigantic improvement.
    I agree. SS should see an offensive improvement with Swanson there the entire year. Possible upgrade at 3rd would see improvements there too.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Given full seasons out of all of them I don't think that's too outlandish. Ender is likely close to 4 by himself.
    Yeah, Ender is a good bet for 4 by himself with a possibility of 5 if he can hit slightly above average instead of average, pretty easy to see a 6 WAR OF next year, though I hope to see Mallex starting out there rather than Markakis.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-17-2016)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Plunk him once. My God. The kid is super solid, but this is just insane.
    He needs a dose of country hardball, somehow, someway.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    I don't understand.

Are you saying an OF that produces 6 total WAR is acceptable?

And who doesn't think Inciarte (3-4 WAR), Kemp (0-1) and Markakis (1-2) can't total 6?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I don't understand.

And who doesn't think Inciarte (3-4 WAR), Kemp (0-1) and Markakis (1-2) can't total 6?
    It is about average for a major league starting outfield. For 2015 the average was 6.5.

When I put up some projections that included Kemp at 1 and Muk at 1.5 I was told that that was unrealistic.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,858 Posts
    It is about average for a major league starting outfield. For 2015 the average was 6.5.

When I put up some projections that included Kemp at 1 and Muk at 1.5 I was told that that was unrealistic.
    The Giants are 15th in OF fWAR right now at 5.6. So an OF of 6 WAR would be around league average this year as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The Giants are 15th in OF fWAR right now at 5.6. So an OF of 6 WAR would be around league average this year as well.
    Of course, we'd all like for our outfield to be above average. I actually think the group we have has some upside. Inciarte is no fluke and still young enough to be improving. Kemp not surprisingly has upped his offensive production since leaving San Diego. He is a poor defender but will probably do better next season. Losing some weight will help. Also he has played much more right field than left in his career. So he is making a transition that sometimes takes a little time. As for Muk, he is one of the more consistent guys out there. I don't think he has much upside, but the chances are very good he gives us similar production in 2017 to what he has given us the last two years. And barring a trade, Mallex is one hell of an insurance policy.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Whoops.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Of course, we'd all like for our outfield to be above average. I actually think the group we have has some upside. Inciarte is no fluke and still young enough to be improving. Kemp not surprisingly has upped his offensive production since leaving San Diego. He is a poor defender but will probably do better next season. Losing some weight will help. Also he has played much more right field than left in his career. So he is making a transition that sometimes takes a little time. As for Muk, he is one of the more consistent guys out there. I don't think he has much upside, but the chances are very good he gives us similar production in 2017 to what he has given us the last two years. And barring a trade, Mallex is one hell of an insurance policy.
    Curious to see how things go for him. The term is overused, but Markakis is what is called a "professional hitter." He knows what he's doing at the plate and with the uptick in power this year, he has shown that he's still a versatile hitter. The question will be whether or not he can hold up physically for the remainder of the contract, but he's done better this year than I expected (especially after his slow start).