Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Meetings Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This is a shocking turn of events!! Has anyone on this board been saying for weeks exactly what DOB and Bowman just tweeted? Hmmm...

They said the Braves were a 75 win team?
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    If it's known they cant sign Harper, might make sense to trade for Sale and go for it next 2 years with Harper.

Scherzer, Sale, Strasburg would be pretty ridiculous.

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    If it's known they cant sign Harper, might make sense to trade for Sale and go for it next 2 years with Harper.

Scherzer, Sale, Strasburg would be pretty ridiculous.
    Bryce will be a Yankee in 2019, I believe.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    There's also some really nice starting pitchers here as well that fit our window perfectly such as Darvish and Arrieta.

I also presume that Archer, Gray and Sale are going to around next offseason. While Archer's and Gray's stock can still rise, Sale won't and I have to imagine a year of our top prospect's in the lower levels advancing should see many of their stock rise as well.

Good time to be a Braves fan.
    Again, the Braves have shown beyond a shadow of a doubt that they will not be signing FA pitchers to long term contracts. They will grow their own pitchers, and fill in the gaps with guys on 1 year deals. Their current rotation consists of 2 home grown guys and 3 guys on 1 year deals, and I expect much of the same in future rotations.

Signing Darvish or Arrieta is simply not a reasonable move to expect the Braves to make based on everything they have done and said the last 2+ years.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (12-05-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    Again, the Braves have shown beyond a shadow of a doubt that they will not be signing FA pitchers to long term contracts. They will grow their own pitchers, and fill in the gaps with guys on 1 year deals. Their current rotation consists of 2 home grown guys and 3 guys on 1 year deals, and I expect much of the same in future rotations.

Signing Darvish or Arrieta is simply not a reasonable move to expect the Braves to make based on everything they have done and said the last 2+ years.
    Did I say it was likely? No. I just pointed out that there were options available. When have they shown they will sign the best FA position player available? Yet you pointed out Lucroy. Why is that more or less likely?

I do think the Braves would be interested in signing an ace if one were to become available.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Now that this silliness about acquiring an Ace is behind us, I would like to see the Braves focus on realistic targets.

Welington Castillo and a RHed 4th OFer like Rajai Davis, Justin Ruggiano, or Desmond Jennings would round out the roster nicely. Maybe add a LHed hitting guy for 3B like Valbuena.

Those moves could push the Braves to a 78+ win team with a real chance at challenging for a .500 record. Then next offseason they could look to add an impact FA like Lucroy and shoot for 85+ wins and a playoff spot in 2018.
    There's alot of good FA's next year the Braves could go after.

Lucroy at C, Neil Walker/Frazier/Moose at 3B, JD Martinez, Lorenzo Cain, Jay Bruce, Carlos Gonzalez in the outfield.

Pitching wise, Arrieta tops the list at SP but he'll want 200 mil, Alex Cobb, Yu Darvish, Danny Duffy, Hellickson, Lance Lynn, Tyson Ross if he signs a 1 yr prove it deal, Tanaka can opt out, Tillman.
    Far better than the crap out there now.

Wade Davis, Bryan Shaw, Luke Gregerson, Tony Watson, Jake McGee in the bullpen.

If Coppy lays low the rest of the offseason could make a couple splashes since the Braves dont have many big money deals on the books.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ24 View Post
    Bryce will be a Yankee in 2019, I believe.
    He grew up a Yankees fan and all the big money contracts of NY will be off the books by then.

CC, Tex, ARod. It's been rumored he's wanted to be a Yankee.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Just as I never thought we were going after a TOR at all cost, I don't think we're out in it either. Everything the media publishes is fed to them for a reason. I never believe any of it. The teams who are capable of trading for a TOR are few and the Dodgers just signed Hill taking them out of the mix. A lot could still happen.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Did I say it was likely? No. I just pointed out that there were options available. When have they shown they will sign the best FA position player available? Yet you pointed out Lucroy. Why is that more or less likely?

I do think the Braves would be interested in signing an ace if one were to become available.
    Because Lucroy will command a contract well under $100m in total value, which the Braves have done in the past. Again, just basing conclusions on actual facts and available data.

I'll go ahead and state the Braves will never sign a FA to a deal approaching $150m, nor will they sign a guy for $30m+ per year. This almost certainly means no Arrieta or Darvish. I'm sure many of you will debate it endlessly though, just like many insisted Archer or Sale were actual possibilities this offseason.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Because Lucroy will command a contract well under $100m in total value, which the Braves have done in the past. Again, just basing conclusions on actual facts and available data.

I'll go ahead and state the Braves will never sign a FA to a deal approaching $150m, nor will they sign a guy for $30m+ per year. This almost certainly means no Arrieta or Darvish. I'm sure many of you will debate it endlessly though, just like many insisted Archer or Sale were actual possibilities this offseason.
    Given the Braves have alot of cheap talent i could see them sign a 30M player, probably not until the 2019 crazy FA pool though.

Dont think it will be a pitcher given the Braves have acquired so many of them.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,800 Posts
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Which is exactly where it should have gone.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Given the Braves have alot of cheap talent i could see them sign a 30M player, probably not until the 2019 crazy FA pool though.

Dont think it will be a pitcher given the Braves have acquired so many of them.
    The magic number is generally 20% of total payroll committed to one player being the max for a contending team. For the Braves to carry a $30m player they will need to have a payroll of $150m. I don't see that as a reasonable figure for quite some time.

The most likely "superstar" FA I could see them signing in the near future is buying the decline years of Donaldson at $25m per year over 4-5 years.

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Yeah don't even know that they have the prospects to get a deal done after their deadline spending spree.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts

FWIW, they did give Freeman $135 million, not $150 million, but it's close. I'm not entirely sure what the Wren era has to do with the Hart/Coppy era, but seems silly to compare the two when the John's (1) have an obvious philosophical difference with Wren (2) have additional revenue streams, and (3) a new mid market team friendly CBA.

Again.... I did not say WILL or LIKELY. I'm just stating that they may be interested in signing an ace pitcher, which based off this offseason makes sense.

Never wise to speak in absolutes.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    FWIW, they did give Freeman $135 million, not $150 million, but it's close. I'm not entirely sure what the Wren era has to do with the Hart/Coppy era, but seems silly to compare the two when the John's (1) have an obvious philosophical difference with Wren (2) have additional revenue streams, and (3) a new mid market team friendly CBA.

Again.... I did not say WILL or LIKELY. I'm just stating that they may be interested in signing an ace pitcher, which based off this offseason makes sense.

Never wise to speak in absolutes.
    Right. Best to speak as vaguely as possible so you never have to commit to a single line of reasoning haha.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    I don't give a damn about Harper, I want the guy from Baltimore.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    Right. Best to speak as vaguely as possible so you never have to commit to a single line of reasoning haha.
    "The Braves will never sign an ace"

Why on God's green earth would I commit either way to answer something I nor anyone could not possibly know? Better question - why do you care?

Edit: Really strange use of the word "reasoning"
    Last edited by chop2chip; 12-05-2016 at 08:13 PM.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Just means We value him more than they do. No young starting level player coming back.... No deal!

Don't come here looking for bargain...

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    I don't give a damn about Harper, I want the guy from Baltimore.
    We already signed Mar-kick-ass