Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Braves sign Kris Medlen

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Walden does not belong with that group listed. Boone Logan? We do know about him, as he's another ex-Brave. Remember, he came over with Javier Vazquez, as part of the package including Tyler Flowers. He just wasn't around in ATL for very long.
    The point is that we've recycled through the same crowd enough times already, let's try some other retreads. I'd much rather pay more for Logan - who we haven't seen nearly as much as EOF - or almost anyone other than KJ or Frenchy than see them again. Those types of players are more likely to get meaningful PAs or IPs than they should because of their long-standing ties to the organization.

Enough already - let's move on.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I love Meds as much as everyone, but have seriously had enough of the Boyer/Walden/Meds/EOF/KJ/Frenchy crowd - let's move on already.

Try someone we don't already know like a book - Valbuena/Pagan/Hochevar/Joe Smith/Boone Logan group - someone that can be serious contributors in the unlikely event that you catch lightning in a bottle for a few months.

Our typical retread group has terribly limited upside even in best-case scenarios -let's either move on to other vets or let kids like Ruiz/Peterson/Minter/Paco get their feet wet in limited roles.
    It's like we're keeping them in shape for the old timers' game.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-28-2017)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The point is that we've recycled through the same crowd enough times already, let's try some other retreads. I'd much rather pay more for Logan - who we haven't seen nearly as much as EOF - or almost anyone other than KJ or Frenchy than see them again. Those types of players are more likely to get meaningful PAs or IPs than they should because of their long-standing ties to the organization.

Enough already - let's move on.
    No need to explain the point. You don't see me advocating KJ (his cheerleading section has been dwindling) and Frenchy...or EOF. Walden is a legitimate possibility for comeback. His presence in camp irks me less, personally, than Jim Johnson (yet, there were loud voices here, who thought that return engagement was just great). As said b4. they'll stop bothering with nobodies, like Collmenter and Recker when they're serious. Not there yet.

Nevertheless, the roster doesn't scream out "Legitimate Contender!...yet. So, worrying about lefty relievers matters about as much as filling out the Gwinnett lineup at this juncture.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    I'm surprised Medlen didn't make Rico's top 50 prospects list. I can't believe he'd place above Hanson or Teheran.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I'm surprised Medlen didn't make Rico's top 50 prospects list. I can't believe he'd place above Hanson or Teheran.
    Not. He fell into the category of "pleasant surprise." I would have put Kyle Davies on here before Medlen; he didn't make the cut, either.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (01-29-2017), Knucksie (01-29-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    It would be interesting to construct a list of Braves prospects who had very good careers in spite of never making a Top 100 list. Prado, Medlen, DeRosa, and Escobar come to mind.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 01-29-2017 at 10:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Not. He fell into the category of "pleasant surprise." I would have put Kyle Davies on here before Medlen; he didn't make the cut, either.
    I remember Medlen getting a lot of hype the last year before he came up. He actually got the call before Hanson.

I mean, you have Mauricio freakin' Cabrera on your list, and in the top 25 no less. Not exactly a reach for Medlen to be on there in comparison.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Even before the injuries. Something happened between the year he came up and the following year.

I was one of the loudest on the board about he would have injury issues but that didn't happen officially until his 3rd year.

Maybe it was just the wear he was naturally going to have.
    His numbers were virtually identical the first 3 years
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    Kris will win a rotation spot in spring training and....

Write it down, take a picture, send it to your grandma

He will win 16 games and have a sub 3.5 ERA and post career highs in innings and K's.

Believe it! Lima time baby.

CAN YOU DIG IT!
    CAN YOU DIG IT!
    I saw some film of him in '12 and in '16 back to back. Last year he was all over the place. In '12 he could've hit a gnat in the ass from 60 feet. It looked mechanical, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Reading some of Dr. Andrews' patients comments and his thoughts, the fact that you're cutting nerves and putting things back together will take more time than the muscular conditioning part.

What made him exceptional was his incredible command of all three pitches. He won't be worse, he could be better. Perhaps the therapist he's consulting with will have some ideas how to make that last step back. Go, Meds.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I remember Medlen getting a lot of hype the last year before he came up. He actually got the call before Hanson.

I mean, you have Mauricio freakin' Cabrera on your list, and in the top 25 no less. Not exactly a reach for Medlen to be on there in comparison.
    He got the call up before Hanson, but he was absolutely a pleasant surprise. Didn't start any games until he was 22, then the next year he turned everybody's head due to his blazing start in Gwinnett and was called up to be a relief arm that year. He was never anywhere close to the prospect Hanson or Teheran was.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Hanson was considered the stud definitely. They kept him back to get some more experience at AAA and not start his clock.

Medlen came up and earned his spot on the team and never gave it up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Oh man, we really watched some great pitchers wash out during those years. Beachy, Hanson, Meds, JJ, etc...
    Ivermectin Man

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Medlen won't be ready in the spring to win anything.

I think we owe Medlen a pay check. He pitched great for the minimum and I like our organization giving him a shot. I doubt he ever pitches well again.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (01-30-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    He got the call up before Hanson, but he was absolutely a pleasant surprise. Didn't start any games until he was 22, then the next year he turned everybody's head due to his blazing start in Gwinnett and was called up to be a relief arm that year. He was never anywhere close to the prospect Hanson or Teheran was.
    He was called up to start.

So, you think Cabrera was a better prospect than Medlen?