Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    No I am saying he is getting 10 million now because he deferred 5 later. No team was willing to pay him 10 million now obviously..
    Then why was your tangent focused on deferring money and how dumb it is for teams to defer money?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Then why was your tangent focused on deferring money and how dumb it is for teams to defer money?
    lol.. because they are paying him in 2021 5 million and he will not contribute to their win total. If you want to invest that 5 million over the next 5 years and make it up in 4 yeaars then great, but they still have to put on the books they are paying someone 5 million. The cap hit will be felt in 2021 regardless. Just guess you better hope the ROI is enough to justify your increase total outlay.

But if this was some genius move, then I am really surprised more teams are not trending this way.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    But if this was some genius move, then I am really surprised more teams are not trending this way.

They are.....if players will accept it. Usually, its the case of a team having negotiating leverage.

Who cares what is on the books in 5 years? You still aren't grasping time value of money.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    They are.....if players will accept it. Usually, its the case of a team having negotiating leverage.

Who cares what is on the books in 5 years? You still aren't grasping time value of money.
    luxury tax disagrees with you!

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    luxury tax disagrees with you!
    I think there is a decent chance they will be in a down time/rebuilding phase at that point. Of course you can never predict anything but the Nats are clearly going for it now and have been for awhile. Forgoing some financial responsibility to a time when you might not be maxing out payroll isn't the worst of ideas.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I think there is a decent chance they will be in a down time/rebuilding phase at that point. Of course you can never predict anything but the Nats are clearly going for it now and have been for awhile. Forgoing some financial responsibility to a time when you might not be maxing out payroll isn't the worst of ideas.

I agree.. which I said in my original post. it is like they know they are going to be rebuilding in 2021. They will owe 55+ million in 2021 and have 2 players to show for it. (I think Eaton is through 2021, but don't care to look)..

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    quick search shows that he can make 2.5 million.. interesting.

Contract Notes:
    •Starts as a Catcher Incentives
    $50,000 each for 65,70
    $100,000 for 75
    $150,000 for 80
    $200,000 for 85
    $250,000 for 90
    $300,000 for 95
    $350,000 for 100
    $500,000 for 105
    $550,000 for 110
    You still get the point - neither of our current backstops are as dirt cheap as they look if they reach pretty easily reachable bonuses. Posters here tend to throw those out the window when figuring our cap, but they have to be accounted for by the brass when signing players.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    You still get the point - neither of our current backstops are as dirt cheap as they look if they reach pretty easily reachable bonuses. Posters here tend to throw those out the window when figuring our cap, but they have to be accounted for by the brass when signing players.
    point was gotten. I didn't realize the incentives went that high.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-22-2017)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    you would rather have Wieters at 10 million this year vs. 1.5 for Suzuki? plus Wieters has the option of taking another 11 million from us next year if he stinks? I think I like Suzuki better..
    I would. I was not clear if the option was a player option or team option.

I don't think we have a legit C option coming anytime soon. I don't think this is a lot of money when you're talking about next year having Swanson, Albies, Ruiz etc at 3B, maybe Peterson working at the minimum. JT and FF go up but they are still cost controlled. Same with Inciarte.

Maybe we are going all in for Lucroy. But with the cheap position guys plus likely cheap arms coming, I'd love to spend the money on Lucroy and Weiters if you had too. They have a budget, they can spend it w/o breaking the budget.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

"For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-22-2017), JohnAdcox (02-23-2017)

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Everyone has the same color sunglasses. Interesting.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Best part of this spring training is Snitker is running it like a military boot camp yet the guys seem to be enjoying it and having fun at the same time. But man is it intense, the direct opposite of the way it was under Fredi. During warmups Kemp misplayed a fly ball and Snitker took out a Gatorade cooler over it and there we're a bunch of choice words.

Favorite part of the day was when Bartolo was throwing BP to live hitters and missed the strike zone on 8 consecutive pitches. Snitker actually came out to the mound and told Bartolo to go home as he wasn't hungry enough anymore. Bartolo left the stadium and came back a few hours later and struck out the next 10 batters he faced.

JS had a speech for us season ticket holders in attendance and he said championship caliber 15 times during his 8 minute speech. Says he expects a 91 like turn around this season.

Hart gave a payroll update and said we will be significant players in free agency for the years to come but we won't be in on the premier players on the market.

Coppy basically said not to question him. It's not about wins and in field performance, but instead of the rankings and there has never been a farm system any better. Said he's disssppointed in the pitching depth and that will be they're primary focus in the upcoming draft.

Fredi made a surprise appearance, said he has no regrets, just dissappointed it didn't work out but everybody we played brought their A game every night like it was the 7th game of the World Series, thinks it was due to all of the division titles in a row. Also said baseball is fun but riding Harley is funner.

Bobby stopped by and was in classic form, said he just doesn't quite understand how Keith Lockhart, Terry Mulholland, Mike Bielacki, and Shane Reynolds haven't been inducted into the baseball HOF yet.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Millwood1Hitter For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (02-23-2017), gamecock4braves (02-21-2017), Hawk (02-21-2017), JohnAdcox (02-23-2017), nsacpi (02-21-2017), The Chosen One (02-21-2017)

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Not sure if serious because Milwood and those all sound almost realistic.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Managuarantano's Volunteers For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-23-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura's Stolen Bases View Post
    Not sure if serious because Milwood and those all sound almost realistic.
    the best lies have some truth to them

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-23-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (02-21-2017), The Chosen One (02-21-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura's Stolen Bases View Post
    Everyone has the same color sunglasses. Interesting.
    I worked for the gbraves in the clubhouse. Most teams carry sunglasses for their players. Some players prefer their own and will go buy them.

That way the players have sunglasses if needed

21. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Ah, gotcha. I wonder if they have done sports vision testing with that particular tint of sunglasses or if they just chose one.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    Best part of this spring training is Snitker is running it like a military boot camp yet the guys seem to be enjoying it and having fun at the same time. But man is it intense, the direct opposite of the way it was under Fredi. During warmups Kemp misplayed a fly ball and Snitker took out a Gatorade cooler over it and there we're a bunch of choice words.

Favorite part of the day was when Bartolo was throwing BP to live hitters and missed the strike zone on 8 consecutive pitches. Snitker actually came out to the mound and told Bartolo to go home as he wasn't hungry enough anymore. Bartolo left the stadium and came back a few hours later and struck out the next 10 batters he faced.

JS had a speech for us season ticket holders in attendance and he said championship caliber 15 times during his 8 minute speech. Says he expects a 91 like turn around this season.

Hart gave a payroll update and said we will be significant players in free agency for the years to come but we won't be in on the premier players on the market.

Coppy basically said not to question him. It's not about wins and in field performance, but instead of the rankings and there has never been a farm system any better. Said he's disssppointed in the pitching depth and that will be they're primary focus in the upcoming draft.

Fredi made a surprise appearance, said he has no regrets, just dissappointed it didn't work out but everybody we played brought their A game every night like it was the 7th game of the World Series, thinks it was due to all of the division titles in a row. Also said baseball is fun but riding Harley is funner.

Bobby stopped by and was in classic form, said he just doesn't quite understand how Keith Lockhart, Terry Mulholland, Mike Bielacki, and Shane Reynolds haven't been inducted into the baseball HOF yet.
    Was bowman near the field at all? Or was $1 hot dog day at the concession?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Mark was there, didn't even realize it. Sitting in the stands all of a sudden it got dark then it started to what we thought was rain but turned back and saw this monster look a like that was sweating like you couldn't believe. It didn't even dawn on me at the time that it could be Mark, but he had a laptop with him and the first words written on his report was "reason to believe."

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Millwood1Hitter For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (02-21-2017), UNCBlue012 (02-22-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    A couple pieces from Bowman's interview with Coppy. That is the same rotation order I would use.

MLB.com: Do you anticipate watching games for a couple weeks before deciding whether you need to make any additional moves?
    Coppolella: We feel good about the starting pitching. We feel good about the everyday lineup, and we feel good about the bullpen. The one area where we could possibly improve is off the bench, where there isn't that proven bench bat. That could be a trade or it could end up being somebody in camp right now. There's a lot of talent here, and we'll see how it shakes out.
    MLB.com What are you looking forward to seeing when games begin?
    Coppolella: Seeing how that lineup gels is going to be really exciting. Then seeing that starting pitching get pushed back. You still have Julio [Teheran] number one, and then maybe Bartolo [Colon] number two, Jaime Garcia three, R.A. Dickey four, one of Mike Foltynewicz, Aaron Blair, Matt Wisler or John Danks at five.
    http://m.braves.mlb.com/news/article...bout-the-club/

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Yeah, and that doesn't look half bad. Here's hoping Folty steps uo.