Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 1911

Thread: Movie Thread

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Looks intense. I don't know my WWII history that well, but that appears to constitute a major screw-up on the part of the Brits.

A major screw up that let them survive.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Nothing about Bill Paxton passing due to heart surgery.

Loved him in:

Weird Science
    Near Dark
    Frailty
    Aliens

So many roles and classic lines................

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-01-2017), The Chosen One (02-28-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Looks intense. I don't know my WWII history that well, but that appears to constitute a major screw-up on the part of the Brits.
    So what do you want to know about it?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Nothing about Bill Paxton passing due to heart surgery.

Loved him in:

Weird Science
    Near Dark
    Frailty
    Aliens

So many roles and classic lines................
    Awesome role in an awesome movie.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Just got out of A Cure for Wellness... uhh yeah...
    Forever Fredi

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Well the screwups mainly happened beforehand. The escape was the key.

The mistakes mainly were made when the Allies grossly underestimated the Nazis and of course you can't downplay how poorly the French were in that war. They were tactically antiquated.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Just came back from Logan. Whew.
    Forever Fredi

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    I'm seeing it this afternoon - 93 on Rotten Tomatoes has me pretty excited

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Already done 200 mill plus worldwide.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Obviously it's still fresh in your mind, so may be you can't be subjective right now, but where would you rank it among Marvel movies? X-Men movies?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (03-05-2017)

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Obviously it's still fresh in your mind, so may be you can't be subjective right now, but where would you rank it among Marvel movies? X-Men movies?
    Best X-Men movie to date, as far as I'm concerned. Avengers-Winter Soldier-Civil War are the three I would rank above Logan as far as Marvel movies go. Still, one of the best movies I've seen. Jackman and the young girl were both phenomenal.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bj1133 For This Useful Post:

Prikichi (03-14-2017), The Chosen One (03-05-2017)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    I rate them as:

DOFP + Logan are 1a 1b
    X2
    Last Stand (everyone hates' it, but I love it because I finally get to see Beast and it was awesome to see him)
    X1
    First Class
    Apocalypse
    Wolverine
    Origins

I don't count Deadpool as X-Men uni even though it technically is. I just feel it's more by itself than to count it in. I will say the Colossus from Deadpool is what he should have been but we get the quiet useless Colossus in Singerverse.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bj1133 View Post
    Best X-Men movie to date, as far as I'm concerned. Avengers-Winter Soldier-Civil War are the three I would rank above Logan as far as Marvel movies go. Still, one of the best movies I've seen. Jackman and the young girl were both phenomenal.
    I saw it for the 3rd time today, Dafne Keen steals the show from Jackman and Stewart.

I think it's very understated how fantastic she was in this movie. Jackman and Stewart are getting tons of praise but Keen's performance gets better every time.

For a kid her age to play a stoic mute kid with a wide ranging of emotions of curiosity, intelligence, love, adorability, passion, hate, grief, and naivety,etc. (most of them as a mute) was amazing. Her scream when she starts jumping on everyone and fighting is very good and sold me. When she's panicking with the handcuffs on she sold me on that too. That's usually hard for a young kid to execute. When she saw Charles' dead in the back of the pickup her scream and reaction was perfectly done. It mirrors Wolverine's angry scream in tone. It's not a desperation scream but a controlled rage scream. Props to her, I hope her performance gets more love because I will now be raising my expectations for child actors in the future.

You'd think that she would play second fiddle everytime she was in a scene with Jackman and Stewart but she was on the same level if not better in every scene she interacted with them! Everyone loved when she grabbed the bookbag from Logan in the hideout while eating her cereal. Everyone loved when she got pissed and was about to stab the electric horseride. Everyone loved when was pressing the buttons on the elevator. etc. When she started driving and yelling at Wolverine in Spanish. She held her own very well.
    Forever Fredi

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Just to be clear this isn't a 'Marvel' movie even with Marvel characters. FOX made this along with all the other X-Men movies.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    I rate them as:

DOFP + Logan are 1a 1b
    X2
    Last Stand (everyone hates' it, but I love it because I finally get to see Beast and it was awesome to see him)
    X1
    First Class
    Apocalypse
    Wolverine
    Origins

I don't count Deadpool as X-Men uni even though it technically is. I just feel it's more by itself than to count it in. I will say the Colossus from Deadpool is what he should have been but we get the quiet useless Colossus in Singerverse.
    It is and it will be when they include Cable in Deadpool 2 and eventually put both in X-Force.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I won't rank movies I haven't seen. If you don't see it here, I probably haven't seen it

1. Doctor Strange - Hits all the right notes across the board for me. Also love that it and Guardians have the biggest celebrity muscle for the least known parts.
    2. Guardians - Such an amazing film across the board. Only reason I put Strange over Guardians is Villains.
    3. Avengers - Showed how to do a super hero ensambel film right, and no one has done one right since then.
    4. Captain America : Winter Soldier - While many would assume the knowledge of who the winter soldier is, the real twist comes with the dagger that Shield was fully infiltrated by Hydra. In what was the best role ever in MCU by Samuel L. Jackson.
    5. Deadpool -Great in it's own regards. I found parts of it a bit too annoying and over the top, but a huge redemption for a failing studio.
    6. Spiderman 2 - the best film of the early Superhero films bar none.
    7. Iron Man - The film that launched an Empire. While not the first MCU film, it's the first truly successful MCU film that cemented the arc we all now follow. On a ranting note now. One of my gripes with the MCU is that every threat has to be the end of the world. Even in the films that I like a ton the threat is either destruction or domination of the world. And that's fine, but it doesn't have to be the issue every single time. Iron Man's battle was for his life. Why can't other films take that into effect. Why can't the hero be battling for the life of himself or a loved one? Why must they be battling to save the whole world?
    8. Captain America Civil War - Some bad stuff really knocks this down the list for me. For example, the absence of a believable villain. I get the idea of turning the Avengers against each other, but how can a common soldier in a year or so develop such an extraordinary plot? I'm not saying the comic universe has to be real, just wish it would be semi-grounded in reality. Like make Zemo wealthy or super powered or something. Or why even bother calling this Avengers: Lite film Captain America?
    9. X2 - Far and away the best Xmen film.
    10. Thor - While I disliked a lot of it, it was a solid film because of TOm Hiddleston.
    11. Spiderman - Told a tale we all knew, but it was Willem Dafoe's Green Goblin and J.K. Simmons's J. Jonah Jameson that stole the show for me. As an origin film it did nothing, as a vehicle for Spiderman 2 it succeeded setting that up.
    12. XMen First Class - While I know DoFP was the darling of all the new XMen films, I have too many issues with it personally. I find generally that the nature of the film made Origins the superior film. It was a successful ensemble film. While DoFP was basically a vehicle for 3 or 4 heroes.
    13. Captain America - Loved aspects of the film, but they wasted the Red Skull. But it gains points because Hayley Atwell.
    14. Iron Man 2 - An overall solid film that's major failure was it wasn't as good as the first. A new problem for Tony Stark that he must solve with an absurd answeris a big problem for me but it's campy and enjoyable.
    15. Thor the Dark World - Love certain aspects of it, hate others. Kind of simplistic review.
    16. XMen DoFP - Certain aspects i love, certain I hate. First off, why in god's name would Mystique's DNA give the Sentinels ability to absorb and adapt powers? Doesn't that sound exactly like Rogue's? This film did a lot right, and a lot really wrong. It seemed to be nowhere in the middle. To me the "failure" of this behind First class also stems from the director. Singer is a fine DIrector, but for this genre I would much rather have Vaughn (Kickass, Layercake, and Kingsmen are all films I enjoy more than almost all Singer films, Usual Suspects being the one exception)
    17. Iron Man 3 - Enjoyable film, but I can't help but think of how much they wasted Ben Kingsley for a simple plot twist. One so bad they retconned it later.
    18. Xmen - OK film, but it aged horribly. Also the criminal act of Singer throwing out entirely XMen uniforms saddened me.
    19. Avengers Age of Ultron - What the film did right can't be written off by it's horrific pacing. I liked parts of it but it bit off way more than it could chew.

Deadlast - Spiderman 3 and X3. Both are total **** films that ruined otherwise solid franchises. I find nothing redeemable about any of these films.

I still have to see Antman and Logan. I saw beginnings of The Wolverine and it was so unpromising I stopped watching it. Never saw any of the Hipster Spiderman films because Andrew Garfield does not make for a convincing Peter Parker.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Iron Man was the first MCU film.

And Andrew Garfield was a poor Peter Parker but a good Spiderman. Just as Toby McGuire was a good Peter Parker and an ok Spiderman. Hopefully Tom Holland is a good in both roles. He did well in his small role in Civil War.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Iron Man was the first MCU film.

And Andrew Garfield was a poor Peter Parker but a good Spiderman. Just as Toby McGuire was a good Peter Parker and an ok Spiderman. Hopefully Tom Holland is a good in both roles. He did well in his small role in Civil War.
    I'm sure you're right, I just can't remember which came first with Iron Man and Hulk.

Also knew things were super desperate when they were basically going with the Sinister 6 in the second film

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I'm sure you're right, I just can't remember which came first with Iron Man and Hulk.

Also knew things were super desperate when they were basically going with the Sinister 6 in the second film
    Yeah Hulk came out the same year or the next year. Yeah Spiderman busted bad for them. It's also to the point that they may sell Spiderman completely back to Disney. Sony Pictures is in trouble.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Yeah Hulk came out the same year or the next year. Yeah Spiderman busted bad for them. It's also to the point that they may sell Spiderman completely back to Disney. Sony Pictures is in trouble.
    I'm guessing the deal will be they get distribution on Spiderman and give up creative to Marvel. I think that's more or less what's happening with Homecoming and I think that's the way for them to go. Or sell it back entirely.

Sony is struggling, they need the next Bond film to be a huge hit. Bigger than Skyfall. Spectre was a let down, which is a shame because Waltz was an amazing Blofield. Craig just wasn't really in the role as much as he was in Skyfall.