Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Fangraphs Top 100 Prospects

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    And take the comps drafting teams throw out after drafting a player with a huge grain of salt. Pretty much everyone in the first round is compared to a borderline HOFer.

I do enjoy trying to figure out comps though. Trevor Bauer is one I read for Anderson and I could see that happening. Similar fastballs and changeups. Bauer had a curve and slider but looks to have abandoned the slider. Anderson's breaking ball could go either way. Both were also 3rd overall picks oddly enough.

I might throw Kip Wells out there as another comp for Anderson. I could see Anderson having a very similar career to Wells.
    You see Mussina on comps outside the organization as well. Not sure who was there first.

I think all comps should be taken with a grain of salt though. Even the guys with the best comps are more likely to fail than be hall of famers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Just about any top 10 pick will have some comps that are very impressive. They all have upside. But there is also a more realistic picture when you consider the full range of possible outcomes, appropriately weighted according to past outcomes for similarly highly regarded prospects.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    It certainly was for several people - Snitker was trying to get a job. Same for d'Arnaud, Jace, etc.. I'd be willing to bet that people like that have absolutely no interest in draft position.
    Pete Rose would have been the perfect manager in this situation.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Pete Rose would have been the perfect manager in this situation.
    I BET he would have too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Jaw (03-15-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    You can't lose games on purpose. The FO can try to assemble a team that is likely to lose a bunch of games, but once the team is assembled, you can't advocate for anything but winning games. Period. So I'm not sure what people want. Would you rather they left Dansby back until this year? Benched our best players? I'm just not sure what anyone wants.

The players are always going to go out and try to win, and making it clear you're trying to avoid that is a potentially disastrous move. Plus, it is good to have a little bit of momentum going into this year with the new park. That park will be extremely important for revenues going forward, and it is important to have as much revenues as we can right off the bat. That is more important than having the #2 pick rather than the #5 pick in an MLB draft.
    The idea from fans that teams should just lose games on purpose is unrealistic and foolish IMO. Thanks for posting this.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    And take the comps drafting teams throw out after drafting a player with a huge grain of salt. Pretty much everyone in the first round is compared to a borderline HOFer.

I do enjoy trying to figure out comps though. Trevor Bauer is one I read for Anderson and I could see that happening. Similar fastballs and changeups. Bauer had a curve and slider but looks to have abandoned the slider. Anderson's breaking ball could go either way. Both were also 3rd overall picks oddly enough.

I might throw Kip Wells out there as another comp for Anderson. I could see Anderson having a very similar career to Wells.
    How could you see anything for Anderson at this point? He basically has zero body of work. He could end up even worse than Wells or he could end up being a TOR starter. Lets wait till he at least pitches in Rome.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    So why is the idea out there that Anderson doesn't have TOR stuff?

Gondee:
    The No. 3 overall pick last year, Atlanta focused on him for months as part of their “all high school pitching” 2016 draft strategy. He signed a below-slot $4 million deal, and projects at a top-of-the-rotation starter. He has a big mid-90s fastball and a plus slurve with a developing changeup. Anderson should anchor another amazing starting rotation at Rome this year, and if his development continues as planned, he could see Atlanta as early as 2019, with 2020 more likely.

Sickels:
    first round pick in 2016, third-overall, from high school in New York; 2.04 ERA in 40 innings in rookie ball with 36/12 K/BB; low-to-mid-90s fastball from 6-3, 170 frame; slider and change-up can be inconsistent but are solid for his age; number three starter projection is a bit cautious at this point but I want to see how he handles a workload

Longerhans:

Anderson sat 92-95 in short bursts during showcases as a rising senior and flashed an above-average mid-70s curveball. He had a prototypical starter’s build and athleticism and had some nascent feel for a mid-80s changeup for which he had absolutely no use while playing high-school ball in upstate New York. When his senior spring arrived and, when Anderson pitched, he was mostly 91-95 with better command in the lower end of that band. That’s not a Jethro Tull joke, I swear. Anyway, Anderson missed starts last spring because of inclement weather, pneumonia and an oblique injury. The Braves stayed on him and, as the draft approached, his stuff starting improving. They drafted him No. 3 overall, cut an underslot deal that allowed them to have a dandy draft class, and Anderson was sitting 93-97 later that summer in the GCL.

When I saw him during instructional league he was 91-94 and struggling to throw strikes while flashing a 60 curveball (though there were some 40s in there, too) in the mid-70s that was better when it had two-plane movement rather than pure vertical drop. I only saw one changeup, but the arm action is good and I have it projected, quite conservatively, to average. I’ve spoken with scouts who have seen it flash above.

This is your stereotypical high-end prep pitching prospect and a potential No. 2 or 3 starter. If the body and command come along in the right way maybe, there’s more velocity in there (I’m skeptical, due to the massively increased workload), and it’s possible we exist in the universe where Anderson develops a plus change, too. He’s light years from the big leagues as a cold-weather prep arm who lost reps due to an entire Curb Your Enthusiasm season’s worth of misfortune, and the risk here is extreme.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Whether he develops that stuff further is one thing but the frame and arsenal is there to make it a possibility at least.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    It certainly was for several people - Snitker was trying to get a job. Same for d'Arnaud, Jace, etc.. I'd be willing to bet that people like that have absolutely no interest in draft position.
    No manager or player ever has any interest in draft position. Again, any manager or player on your team is trying to win as many games as possible, no matter the context. If they're not, they all need to be fired immediately.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

clvclv (03-14-2017), thethe (03-14-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Winning brings fans to the park. That is the #1 truth with attendance. A new stadium can assist in this for a short time but in the end it's all about winning. If your team is good the fans will come. If the Braves went into total tank mode the attendance would suffer. But imo that would accelerate the rebuild and get to a point where the team is good and the fans would return.

Also we are talking about a couple of games here and there. Over 162 this inconsequential to the attendance. But in the draft and getting the BPA it's huge. The Braves are worse of by picking 5th instead of 2nd. There is no way to deny that imo.
    And the Braves' past has proven that that's simply not the case - attendance peaked in 1993 prior to the strike, then in 1997 post-strike. It decreased every year after that DESPITE the team recording 106, 103, 95, 88, 101, 101, 96, and 90 wins through 2005. During the run, the Braves won or were on pace to win 90+ games 14 out of those 15 years, yet they only drew 3+ million fans six times.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    And the Braves' past has proven that that's simply not the case - attendance peaked in 1993 prior to the strike, then in 1997 post-strike. It decreased every year after that DESPITE the team recording 106, 103, 95, 88, 101, 101, 96, and 90 wins through 2005. During the run, the Braves won or were on pace to win 90+ games 14 out of those 15 years, yet they only drew 3+ million fans six times.
    Its almost as if people forgotten the Cubs fans outnumbering Braves fans in teh playoffs at Turner field.

No way fans are going to stay with the team if they are purposefully trying to lose.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Atlanta is not a baseball town. The stadium moving to where more Braves fans supposedly live may change that. But the Braves being good will net them an attendance ranking in the middle of the pack. Still doesn't change the fact that it's winning will do that.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Its almost as if people forgotten the Cubs fans outnumbering Braves fans in teh playoffs at Turner field.

No way fans are going to stay with the team if they are purposefully trying to lose.
    If the team wins they will come back. Do you disagree with this? Especially with the stadium relocating?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    If the team wins they will come back. Do you disagree with this? Especially with the stadium relocating?
    I don't know. There isn't a generational passing down of braves fandom. I thinks it's very possible that losing has long reach affect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    There was a study from a few years ago that showed that Cubs fans are the least responsive to record and that Braves fans are among the most responsive (in terms of effect on attendance).

That's an important thing to keep in mind about the Braves.

But I really don't think this explains the puzzling push to win at all costs toward the end of last season.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I don't think losing a couple more games has a long-term impact on fan attendance/enthusiasm. I do think clearly attempting to lose on purpose can carry some stink for a little while, though long-term you're still probably ok once you start winning.

But we are trying to get as much revenue as we can as quickly as we can, so any carry-over in fan apathy carries with it a real hit to revenue. That will in turn bring a real hit in available resources to build the team over the next couple years.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    There was a study from a few years ago that showed that Cubs fans are the least responsive to record and that Braves fans are among the most responsive (in terms of effect on attendance).

That's an important thing to keep in mind about the Braves.

But I really don't think this explains the puzzling push to win at all costs toward the end of last season.
    What is the 'push' you're talking about? Was it in terms of roster construction, or in terms of in-game moves?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    I don't know. There isn't a generational passing down of braves fandom. I thinks it's very possible that losing has long reach affect.
    It seemed to switch pretty quick when they were god awful to winning the division in 91.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    So why is the idea out there that Anderson doesn't have TOR stuff?

Gondee:
    The No. 3 overall pick last year, Atlanta focused on him for months as part of their “all high school pitching” 2016 draft strategy. He signed a below-slot $4 million deal, and projects at a top-of-the-rotation starter. He has a big mid-90s fastball and a plus slurve with a developing changeup. Anderson should anchor another amazing starting rotation at Rome this year, and if his development continues as planned, he could see Atlanta as early as 2019, with 2020 more likely.

Sickels:
    first round pick in 2016, third-overall, from high school in New York; 2.04 ERA in 40 innings in rookie ball with 36/12 K/BB; low-to-mid-90s fastball from 6-3, 170 frame; slider and change-up can be inconsistent but are solid for his age; number three starter projection is a bit cautious at this point but I want to see how he handles a workload

Longerhans:

Anderson sat 92-95 in short bursts during showcases as a rising senior and flashed an above-average mid-70s curveball. He had a prototypical starter’s build and athleticism and had some nascent feel for a mid-80s changeup for which he had absolutely no use while playing high-school ball in upstate New York. When his senior spring arrived and, when Anderson pitched, he was mostly 91-95 with better command in the lower end of that band. That’s not a Jethro Tull joke, I swear. Anyway, Anderson missed starts last spring because of inclement weather, pneumonia and an oblique injury. The Braves stayed on him and, as the draft approached, his stuff starting improving. They drafted him No. 3 overall, cut an underslot deal that allowed them to have a dandy draft class, and Anderson was sitting 93-97 later that summer in the GCL.

When I saw him during instructional league he was 91-94 and struggling to throw strikes while flashing a 60 curveball (though there were some 40s in there, too) in the mid-70s that was better when it had two-plane movement rather than pure vertical drop. I only saw one changeup, but the arm action is good and I have it projected, quite conservatively, to average. I’ve spoken with scouts who have seen it flash above.

This is your stereotypical high-end prep pitching prospect and a potential No. 2 or 3 starter. If the body and command come along in the right way maybe, there’s more velocity in there (I’m skeptical, due to the massively increased workload), and it’s possible we exist in the universe where Anderson develops a plus change, too. He’s light years from the big leagues as a cold-weather prep arm who lost reps due to an entire Curb Your Enthusiasm season’s worth of misfortune, and the risk here is extreme.
    The consistent threads you see throughout all the scouting reports of Anderson is a fastball that tends can reach the mid-90s but sits more comfortably in the low-90s and tends to lose velocity as the game goes on. There's a slurvy breaking ball there that scouting reports seem split on whether it will eventually be slowed down and kept as a mid-70's curve or whether it will be turned into a low 80's slider. Either way, the pitch will need to be tightened up. And the changeup is developing but projects as at least average.

You hear different things about whether there's much more velocity potential left. I tend to think there's a potential for a couple ticks. I could see him with a fastball that averages 94 and stays there throughout the game as his body develops. I'd actually worry that if he focuses on velocity it might straighten his fastball out a bit.

In the end, reasonable projections has a guy with a good fastball, a good curve, and a respectable changeup with above average command. He might never reach that but those projections are reasonable. That's a number 3 starter.

If he wants to be an ace, then something out of the ordinary will have to happen. He'll need to develop a fastball that averages 96+ and keeps its movement or one of his secondary pitches to become plus-plus. That just sounds like something that can't really be projected for him at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    How could you see anything for Anderson at this point? He basically has zero body of work. He could end up even worse than Wells or he could end up being a TOR starter. Lets wait till he at least pitches in Rome.
    It's all coming from clips and scouting reports at this point. It's way too early to call him a bust or a failure. That's just ridiculous. However, reading and setting expectations is only natural. In fact, part of the fun is trying to predict how these guys will do.

Anderson might be our next HOF pitcher or he might never be able to successfully jump to AA. There's nothing certain with pitching prospects. But it's fun to speculate and discuss.