Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Liberal Media Bubble

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    So losing a job at the White House carries the same weight as a perjury charge?
    Not arguing that, nor have I been.

You're pinning this entire ridiculous thing on whether Mike Flynn "lied" or not. Bottom line, whatever you want to call it, he lost his job because he made important factual misstatements to his colleagues.

Besides, from my understanding, he did lie to the FBI at first, and got the professional courtesy of a do-over since he wasn't under investigation.

You are the one doing the perjury fan dance. I'm just saying that he lied and he got fired for it. Call it something other than a lie if you like, but that's what happened.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    That's a matter of perspective.
    That he made a nonspecific allegation is not up for debate.

That Peskov is a professional liar employed by a notorious and eminent liar on the world stage is certainly a subjective statement, though also one I'd happily defend if you prefer to argue otherwise.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts

RE: Flynn

lie

noun
    noun: lie; plural noun: lies

an intentionally false statement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Did he lose his job because he made important factual misstatements to his colleagues?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    That you choose to believe that he had a sudden attack of amnesia about both the number of and the content of his conversations with the ambassador is up to you. I can't prove otherwise, though I would assume his forced resignation spoke to that.

I will remember, in future conversations, that you consider a factual misstatement a "lie" only if it is proven such under oath.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-15-2017)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Gosh, I'll be happy to discuss that when those Clinton campaign advisers are held legally accountable for their supposed transgressions.
    Ideologies aside, this is a worthy own.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Back on planet Nate Silver, thanks to sturg for posting a good article. All these bubbles are a big problem these days.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Back on planet Nate Silver, thanks to sturg for posting a good article. All these bubbles are a big problem these days.
    Can we expect a Don Ho appearance any time now?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    Can we expect a Don Ho appearance any time now?
    No, those are tiny bubbles.

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    If you complain about media bias, then go home and soak up hours of Fox News, are you not a hypocrite?

Whaaaa the liberal meda, whaaaaa the liberal media. Then you go and watch Fox, the most one sided crap on the planet.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mossy For This Useful Post:

Runnin (03-16-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post
    If you complain about media bias, then go home and soak up hours of Fox News, are you not a hypocrite?

Whaaaa the liberal meda, whaaaaa the liberal media. Then you go and watch Fox, the most one sided crap on the planet.
    Are you denying the fact that the overwhelming majority of the media is liberal?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I think what Mossy is saying is that there are both conservative and liberal bubbles, which there are.

And just because the newsroom may be chock full of liberals, the owners and publishers of the newspapers are often conservatives and they often set the tone for what goes in print. Case in point here in Minnesota, megabucks Timberwolves owner and former Republican legislator Glen Taylor now owns the Minneapolis StarTribune, which used to be called the Red StarTribune by those who thought it too liberal. The tone is now far more centrist and the editorial page is run by an avowed conservative. If you want to get the tone of a newspaper, head to the editorial page. Some of that bias will seep into news reporting.

But as for reporters, they do what they are told to do and the editors make sure that happens. It's like if I were a RHH baseball player and the manager told me to bat left-handed or I'd lose my place on the roster. I guess I would bat left-handed. Papers are looking for what sells and that has warped the news more than anything else, so they are always taking the pulse of the public.

Most of the news now is delivered through the Associated Press as wire copy and that's about as centrist as one can get.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Are you denying the fact that the overwhelming majority of the media is liberal?
    Mossy's right and as soon as conservatives start to force their own "news sources" to police themselves a little better is when things might actually start to get better. I've been pointing this out for years on this very forum and for longer than that on other forums with many of these same people. I don't disagree that the "mainstream media" leans left, some a little, some a lot, but if a person gets their news from one of the many right or even far right leaning sources on Fox then Fox IS a part of the media and doesn't that by itself pull the whole news industry back towards the center at least somewhat? Add in talk radio and what does that do to the curve?

The problem is people who hate the MSM say they hate it because it leans so badly to the left and all they want is for the news media to be "truly balanced and unbiased" but that isn't what they want at all. A truly "facts only" news media would piss off both conservatives and liberals in a matter of seconds. In fact that may be the only actual way to get them to agree on anything (with each other).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    There's is no question that there exists a conservative bubble. Has anyone denied this?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    No, those are tiny bubbles.

I wonder how many people here even know who Don Ho was, before our little exchange? At any rate I don't think tiny bubbles would get the job done any more, do you? These days everything has to be Yuge! :)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    There's is no question that there exists a conservative bubble. Has anyone denied this?
    Why is it so hard for people on both sides to admit what you just admitted? Does almost anyone want to admit THEY are in a bubble, be it a left leaning one or a right leaning one? Don't most people really truly believe they actually know the truth, it's those other people who are being deceived.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    Why is it so hard for people on both sides to admit what you just admitted? Does almost anyone want to admit THEY are in a bubble, be it a left leaning one or a right leaning one? Don't most people really truly believe they actually know the truth, it's those other people who are being deceived.
    Because no one lives in the Middle. We either lean left or right

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post

LOL dude... this article was from Nate Silver... a die hard liberal who at least tries to look at things objectively

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (03-16-2017), Jaw (03-16-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Because no one lives in the Middle. We either lean left or right
    About certain issues sure, but isn't going to our "store house of knowledge" whether it be on the right or the left on everything at the root of most of our problems? I used to work with a guy, a fairly nice guy generally speaking, but if I asked him what the weather was going to be like today, he'd go to media matters to see the forecast because he didn't trust any other sources. This is of course a bit of an exaggeration but not much. He really did go to them for any type of news or political issue. You guys make fun of poor steak sauce because he's a Dem homer, but how is it any better to be a far right supporter on every single issue? You and I both know the Repubs aren't right about every single issue any more than the Dems are. Both sides have valid points from time to time about various things, but when was the last time you heard either side just be satisfied with the actual facts on any issue. Once the Repubs come out on a something most of the Repub supporters come out in force to defend it or defend them, those who disagree just don't say anything. Same thing with the Dems.

Do you think it's any better (or more correct) to be a Republican/Conservative all the time, about all things, than it is to be a Democrat/Liberal all of the time about all issues? Is it any better to rightly point out the liberal bias of the MSM but then go to a member of the right wing section of the media, like Fox, talk radio, and so on, for everything? Does Fox or Talk radio tell you (the metaphorical you, not you personally) the 100% truth or do they cherry pick it and spin it first to make sure they get/stay with their narrative? Why is it better to ingest BS from the right than it is from the left? I know one makes you feel better than the other, but do you honestly think you're only getting the 100% truth from them? Like Fat Bastard said in the Austin Powers movies, "everybody likes his own brand". Why should any media source, left or right just stick to THE facts? They'd go out of business in a month or less. Americans can't stand to hear anything they don't already believe.

I put it to you that THE truth IS in the middle ground, perhaps the reason we don't agree on this any more than we do is because IMO you see the middle like one of the middle yellow lines on a highway, I see it much broader than that, maybe 20%-25% of the road. That's why it's possible for me to veer to the right on things like abortion and defense and to the left on things like corporations and CEOs don't have the moral right to starve Americans, ruin families, etc., just to make a few more millions when they're already making $20m/year. I know it's way easier to just decide which side you agree with most often and "just go with it", but that doesn't make it correct. We're Americans, we should be capable of more. We have the gift of democracy, which many of us piss away all the time, by either blindly supporting one party or the other, or just not voting at all, and we used to have the American dream, that anyone who was willing to work hard enough COULD succeed, now anyone who's willing to work 10 times as hard as they ought to have to work, MIGHT still be able to succeed. We used to root for the underdog, now we root for the person who only gets $18m/year to get that raise up to $20m/year. We're like Yankee fans were back when they had that last big run. To them, they should have all stars on the bench, let alone at every other position on the field. Sure terrorists are dangerous, but IMO our national arrogance and lack of consideration or even empathy for those who are trying yet can't succeed in a rigged game will be our downfall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Irregardless of the existence of both bubbles let's not pretend that there isn't an overwhelming liberal bias in media.