Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves Acquire Matt Adams From Cardinals

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    if Adams is just what he's always been (more or less) in Freddie's absence. Not because the team is particularly good, but because the other teams are so bad - several of them unexpectedly bad. The fact that they're still hanging around .500 while the starting pitching has been so bad means you should be able to expect a pretty nice improvement when the Pitchers pitch just a bit more like what's on the backs of their baseball cards. If Freeman is good to go by the break, Adams is kept as a bench piece, Swanson can keep making adjustments, and everyone stays relatively healthy
    Baseball doesn't work like that though, everybody isn't going to stay healthy and its just as likely when the pitchers start getting more consistent, Kemp/Flowers/Markakis will start slumping.

Sure in a perfect world scenario the pitchers become consistent, the bullpen stays lights out, Flowers/Suzuki/Phillips/Kemp/Markakis keep hitting and staying healthy, Adams is a suitable fill-in, Freeman comes back and doesn't miss a beat and Swanson keeps adjusting; but how many of those things will actually happen?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    1) He shouldn't have said that
    2) You shouldn't believe that
    3) No team in baseball should rule out trading players for a reasonable return

Honestly, folks need to stop taking the front office's marketing talk so seriously. They clearly want the fans to believe they are done selling and I think they mean that as far as they have no intention of trading long term pieces of the team for prospects. But there ain't no way that should apply to guys with a half year left on their contract, particularly when there are ready replacements coming up.

For example, Brandon Phillips and a theoretically mashing Matt Adams could very well be moved without affecting the ability of the team to contend. Similarly, one of the starting pitchers could be moved to promote a Kris Medlen or a prospect or to accommodate a new acquisition.
    Exactly, no team should ever draw a line in the sand and say we are done trading vets for prospects. I think what Coppy is saying is we are done trading with the teardown, not going to be trading guys with years of control like Simmons. But a guy like Phillips? If he keeps hitting decently, he's going to get traded, and he should.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    With Freeman out, the Braves should be be comfortably out by the trade deadline, which is probably a good thing.

Markakis, Kemp, Flowers, Suzuki, Philips, Colon, Dickey, Adams, Jim Johnson, Garcia and Teheran are all expendable in the long run and each one of them could, given decent performance, bring back solid returns.

If the Braves can find a way to shed some long-term salary and pick up some top 10 prospects, that will be a huge success.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Baseball doesn't work like that though, everybody isn't going to stay healthy and its just as likely when the pitchers start getting more consistent, Kemp/Flowers/Markakis will start slumping.

Sure in a perfect world scenario the pitchers become consistent, the bullpen stays lights out, Flowers/Suzuki/Phillips/Kemp/Markakis keep hitting and staying healthy, Adams is a suitable fill-in, Freeman comes back and doesn't miss a beat and Swanson keeps adjusting; but how many of those things will actually happen?
    Posi-Braves do not concern themselves with realistic scenarios. In their mind, a team's most likely scenario is everyone playing to their potential at all times.

Fact of the matter is the Braves are currently playing well, so folks predictably start to blabber about WC contention. When the team is playing poorly, they talk about how awful the organization is. There is no consistency since their opinions are not based in reality.

Like all teams, this team has had good and bad stretches. They have had more/worse/longer bad stretches than good stretches, so they are 20-23...on pace to win 75 games...exactly as projected.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    With Freeman out, the Braves should be be comfortably out by the trade deadline, which is probably a good thing.

Markakis, Kemp, Flowers, Suzuki, Philips, Colon, Dickey, Adams, Jim Johnson, Garcia and Teheran are all expendable in the long run and each one of them could, given decent performance, bring back solid returns.

If the Braves can find a way to shed some long-term salary and pick up some top 10 prospects, that will be a huge success.
    The ongoing problem with every post like this is that it is totally oblivious to the fact that the Braves want to sell tickets as well as develop players. Every time I see this, I have the same response: how many games do you pay to attend in a given year? If you watched any of that late-night marathon Tuesday, you see a charged up team with chemistry, clutch hitters and a hell of a bullpen. They and the fans are having fun. This is what you want out of your baseball team. This team could have a legit run at the wild card and that's not all bad.
    How many more prospects can you cram in the minors before they begin to crowd each other out? Sure, one or two of these moves are likely, but the difference from last year is that this team is competitive more often than not. There will be no purge; only cutting away the dead word (talking about you, Danny Santana).

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

Except for our catchers pretending they're Carlton Fisk and Mike Piazza, most of these things seem more likely than you would have it seem. There are plenty of reinforcements for the bullpen (Cabrera), Swanson is already showing leadership, Adams is more than suitable in my mind. Kemp and Phillips have already fought back from an injury and Markakis hasn't missed significant time in his entire career.

My beef with them is that it would be very easy to beef up the bench. Look at how little it took to acquire Adams; that tells me they could build one of the best benches in the NL with a little bit of risk-taking among which prospect to keep and which are expendable.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Pretty sure the trade to Braves negated his prior no-trade clause, but I think they may have agreed to a less restrictive list at the time of trade. Could be making that up.
    I recall he lost his no trade. His no trade was not contractual, it was his 10/5 rights. Now he's lost those. We did put in a 1 million bonus if he gets traded.

Everyone calling the Adams deal a win reminds me of the posts about signing Troy Glaus long term after his start at 1B.

We are honestly running out of rotation spots and some roster spots for all of these prospects. The Coppy will try to make a splash move. I hope it's not a Quintana or some other stretch move b/c we are NOT READY for prime time there.

I hope the Sox get desperate and we can take on Panda's deal (b/c IMO there is very little to spend money on in FA) to get some guys that will help. I don't think they are dumb enough to move Devers and Groome but maybe there are other guys worth getting....I don't know their prospects and I know they have sent a bunch out. Maybe there is another similar deal where we could take on someone else's Melvin Upton and fill a hole.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-24-2017), Southcack77 (05-24-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I recall he lost his no trade. His no trade was not contractual, it was his 10/5 rights. Now he's lost those. We did put in a 1 million bonus if he gets traded.

Everyone calling the Adams deal a win reminds me of the posts about signing Troy Glaus long term after his start at 1B.

We are honestly running out of rotation spots and some roster spots for all of these prospects. The Coppy will try to make a splash move. I hope it's not a Quintana or some other stretch move b/c we are NOT READY for prime time there.

I hope the Sox get desperate and we can take on Panda's deal (b/c IMO there is very little to spend money on in FA) to get some guys that will help. I don't think they are dumb enough to move Devers and Groome but maybe there are other guys worth getting....I don't know their prospects and I know they have sent a bunch out. Maybe there is another similar deal where we could take on someone else's Melvin Upton and fill a hole.
    I don't think the braves are in a position to take on someone else's badcontract anymore.

I don't think they've run out of roster space particularly though there will be culling in the minors soon.

But we've seen them flip stalled assets for lottery cards and for farther away prospects before. I think they'll keep churning.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    The ongoing problem with every post like this is that it is totally oblivious to the fact that the Braves want to sell tickets as well as develop players. Every time I see this, I have the same response: how many games do you pay to attend in a given year? If you watched any of that late-night marathon Tuesday, you see a charged up team with chemistry, clutch hitters and a hell of a bullpen. They and the fans are having fun. This is what you want out of your baseball team. This team could have a legit run at the wild card and that's not all bad.
    How many more prospects can you cram in the minors before they begin to crowd each other out? Sure, one or two of these moves are likely, but the difference from last year is that this team is competitive more often than not. There will be no purge; only cutting away the dead word (talking about you, Danny Santana).
    I understand that point, and I think it's extremely valid. I'm not advocating for a massive sell-off, especially if the Braves are fringe contenders, but prudent trimming of the roster to make way for younger players that do factor into the competitive window and salary space to sign difference makers.

If the Braves are out of contention come July, no individual fan is going to make the decision to come to a game based on whether Jim Johnson is pitching that night.
    Last edited by chop2chip; 05-24-2017 at 06:34 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-24-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    The fact that our bench is so porous is evidence enough that we need to continue to stock the minor league cupboards with more position players. If the Braves strategy is to build from within, then there's no reason to become complacent.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (05-24-2017), jpx7 (05-24-2017)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    If the Braves [are out] of contention come July, no individual fan is going to make the decision to come to a game based on whether Jim Johnson is pitching that night.
    ^^^ Exactly.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (05-24-2017)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Every time I see this, I have the same response: how many games do you pay to attend in a given year?
    Do games at stadia where the Braves are the visitors count?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts

If the Braves are out of contention come July, no individual fan is going to make the decision to come to a game based on whether Jim Johnson is pitching that night.
    Some do that now?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I understand that point, and I think it's extremely valid. I'm not advocating for a massive sell-off, especially if the Braves are fringe contenders, but prudent trimming of the roster to make way for younger players that do factor into the competitive window and salary space to sign difference makers.

I would absolutely advocate selling at the deadline unless we are clearly in contention (meaning easily in a WC spot at the time). But posts like this miss the way casual fans think about this stuff. Sure, you will still get people coming to the stadium just to watch the Braves because it's something to do. But while a guy like Jim Johnson is not bringing anybody to the park one way or another, when a team sells off players, it sends a message to the fanbase that they're not really trying to win. So it's not, 'Man, Jim Johnson got traded? No reason for me to watch now.' It's, 'Screw that, I'm not watching a bunch of scrubs lose games.'

19. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

clvclv (05-25-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Yeah I am sure teams are going to be throwing prospects at us for Jim Johnson who seems to turn into Dan Kolb when he isnt on the Braves. I know the Dodgers were thrilled with that 10+ ERA he put up when they traded for him last time. These arent even small samples, combined he has 100+ innings not with the Braves since 2013. The A's even gave him 40 innings to turn around his 7+ ERA and 2+ WHIP. Maybe a team will trade prospects for him if they are aiming to tank for the #1 pick. He might help in that regard.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Even if they are out of it at the deadline you still can't throw away next as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Even with a very deep minor league system, there are PLENTY of roster spots available in the minors for decent prospects. I'm also not advocating for a purge, but selling off vets who do not factor into the long-range plan for additional prospects just makes too much sense to me. I'm not talking about Teheran/Freeman; I'm talking Phillips, Suzuki, Johnson, Colon, Dickey, Motte..... and I'd listen very closely on Kemp/Markakis/Flowers types. A few of these guys need to be traded anyway to create innings/ABs for younger players.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-25-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    x2 post

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Again, this misses the whole point.

No one's talking about a "perfect world" where the SPs suddenly throw as well as they ever have. I mentioned simply pitching like they always have - Julio's ERA gets back closer to the mid 3s, Bartolo's back to around 4, etc..

To remain "relevant" until Freeman returns, the hitters simply keep producing like they always have as well - Adams doesn't suddenly become Freddie, Markakis doesn't have to suddenly become Bryce Harper, etc..

Read the whole post rather than looking for something to nitpick about, your post completely ignores the fact that I (and quite a few others who are regarded as "overly optimistic") stated plainly...

"No one is crazy enough to think it's a team that's close to good enough to make a playoff run (and as badly as it hurts some of the *ricks around here, not even the most rosy-eyed poster has said it was), and likely isn't good enough to even win a playoff series if everything went right, but saying it's not in a better position than several other teams at this point is foolish. The schedule is only going to get better as the season goes on - 33 home games in August and September at the "New Launching Pad" ought to be nice, and September is chock full of games against the Mutts, Phillies, and Fish."
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Even with a very deep minor league system, there are PLENTY of roster spots available in the minors for decent prospects. I'm also not advocating for a purge, but selling off vets who do not factor into the long-range plan for additional prospects just makes too much sense to me. I'm not talking about Teheran/Freeman; I'm talking Phillips, Suzuki, Johnson, Colon, Dickey, Motte..... and I'd listen very closely on Kemp/Markakis/Flowers types. A few of these guys need to be traded anyway to create innings/ABs for younger players.
    The point many try to make is that they're in favor of this too - as soon as the team has completely fallen out of contention - which it simply hasn't yet. You don't trade guys that can help you win now (as well as buy more development time for prospects who are ALMOST ready) to make your #22 prospect become your #24 prospect. IF you can get something that can be a future piece, sure you trade them. Of course trading Colon means you plug Newcomb and his 6 BBs in his last outing into the rotation. If he's walking 6 guys in Gwinnett, he's going to look like Wisler at this level. The bigger problem is that you're simply not going to get anything of consequence for the veterans RIGHT NOW - no one other than Kemp is producing at a level that's enough to get much of a return at all, and none of the contenders have had significant enough injuries to overpay in late May.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?