Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: THURSDAY MINORS FINAL 5/25 ... $$$$ Pitchers on Parade

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Anderson probably at his pitch count. 6 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 0 R, 11 K.
    That's a BPA line right there.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (05-26-2017), clvclv (05-26-2017), jpx7 (05-25-2017), Preacher (05-26-2017), Tapate50 (05-25-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Sure wish we hadn't gone cheap so we could have Riley Pint.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-25-2017), cajunrevenge (05-26-2017), Preacher (05-26-2017), Tapate50 (05-25-2017)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Touki: 6 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 6 K. Two of the three walks were intentional, one came right before a three-run homer that accounted for most of the damage.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Sure wish we hadn't gone cheap so we could have Riley Pint.
    I've been thinking the same thing. Pint probably has a higher ceiling, but if he doesn't find his control he'll be enjoying his bonus money on a fishing boat.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Brett Cumberland now has 26 RBIs on 23 hits.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,698 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Brett Cumberland now has 26 RBIs on 23 hits.
    Just knows how to drive guys in.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (05-25-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Good for Brett. I was amazed that he was drafted high as a hitter, and then couldn't hit. Glad there's a little hope. That was going to be a big loss to have someone fail that highly drafted...he could still fail...but maybe not.
    Last edited by TheBravos; 05-25-2017 at 10:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,698 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Good for Brett. I was amazed that he was drafted high as a hitter, and then couldn't hit. Glad there's a little hope. That was going to be a big lose to have someone fail that highly drafted...still fail...but maybe not.
    I've been hoping (with absolutely no insight) that we've been working with him almost exclusively on catching and that's caused his offensive struggles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    I honestly hope I'm wrong and Anderson becomes a stud. However, I'm still of the belief that he tops out as a number 3 starter. Last night was a great game for him but it's still just one game. Just like his previous start was poor but it was still just one game.

I really hope something clicked and this was a breakout game but it'll take more to make me believe he's more than a middle of the rotation guy long term.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I honestly hope I'm wrong and Anderson becomes a stud. However, I'm still of the belief that he tops out as a number 3 starter. Last night was a great game for him but it's still just one game. Just like his previous start was poor but it was still just one game.

I really hope something clicked and this was a breakout game but it'll take more to make me believe he's more than a middle of the rotation guy long term.
    Why?

Everything I've read says the FB is really good and can move. For a young guy he spots it well. Has the frame, still very skinny. Other two pitches flash.

You are more likely to be right if you say someone is going to be MOR or fail based on numbers. There are so very few TOR. But I don't see why there is any reason to be down on this kid other than most prospects don't become TOR starters.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts

One thing that always help a young pitcher bounce back.. Get to pitch against the absolute worst team in all of A ball. Great line.. he needs to follow it up now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Why?

Everything I've read says the FB is really good and can move. For a young guy he spots it well. Has the frame, still very skinny. Other two pitches flash.

You are more likely to be right if you say someone is going to be MOR or fail based on numbers. There are so very few TOR. But I don't see why there is any reason to be down on this kid other than most prospects don't become TOR starters.
    Mainly because to be a TOR guy you need something really exceptional to hang your hat on. Thor has the fastball (when he's healthy). Halladay had the sinker. Glavine's chageup was exceptional. Maddux, on the other hand, had insane command that let him carve hitters up.

I don't see Anderson as having anything that you point to and say that he'll be able to hang his hat on that. I think he'll end up with a very good fastball but it will be a notch or two below aces that rely on the overpowering fastball. I think his secondary stuff will be good as well but I don't see him ever having a Wainright curve or a Glavine changeup.

Also, I see his command topping out at average. If you want to be an ace with average command, you better have unbelievably filthy stuff.

Ultimately, I think he's a pitchers that does a lot of things well ad has a lot of value but can't ever reach that next level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Mainly because to be a TOR guy you need something really exceptional to hang your hat on. Thor has the fastball (when he's healthy). Halladay had the sinker. Glavine's chageup was exceptional. Maddux, on the other hand, had insane command that let him carve hitters up.

I don't see Anderson as having anything that you point to and say that he'll be able to hang his hat on that. I think he'll end up with a very good fastball but it will be a notch or two below aces that rely on the overpowering fastball. I think his secondary stuff will be good as well but I don't see him ever having a Wainright curve or a Glavine changeup.

Also, I see his command topping out at average. If you want to be an ace with average command, you better have unbelievably filthy stuff.

Ultimately, I think he's a pitchers that does a lot of things well ad has a lot of value but can't ever reach that next level.
    probably right b/c of the %s....but that's a lot of words suggesting he's a relatively fixed product at 18.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (05-26-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    He's what... 18?

I don't see the point projecting him to anything right now on the high side or low side. He could add MPH. He could add a pitch. Whats the point?

To this point, there is likely no other pitcher from that draft we'd rather have given the results he's shown. That's pretty much all we need to know.

And striker, there are lots of top of the rotation guys that didn't have a hammer pitch. They just weren't hall of famers like the guys you listed. Again, that's all way off projection to this point though.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    This is a great line. Beat me to it.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    He's what... 18?

I don't see the point projecting him to anything right now on the high side or low side. He could add MPH. He could add a pitch. Whats the point?

To this point, there is likely no other pitcher from that draft we'd rather have given the results he's shown. That's pretty much all we need to know.

And striker, there are lots of top of the rotation guys that didn't have a hammer pitch. They just weren't hall of famers like the guys you listed. Again, that's all way off projection to this point though.
    Anderson absolutely could experience a jump of development and become a legit ace. There have been a lot of aces that weren't seen as having a high ceiling before figuring something out and exploding. However, that kind of development is insanely difficult to project.

And yes, there have been top of the rotation guys that didn't have a plus-plus pitch or insane control. However, they usually have multiple plus pitches paired with plus control and a great understanding of how to pitch. You usually aren't able to point to any real weakness in their game. However, it's far more usual for aces to have some exceptional aspect to their game that they lean on.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    He's what... 18?

^^^

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts

A legit #3 SP is a stud. Folks need to stop thinking it's a knock on a guy to call him a #3 SP. A legit #3 SP gets paid $100M when he hits the FA market around age 30. A legit #3 SP produces ~3 WAR, and is worth $20M+ per year.

Do you have any idea how exceedingly rare it is for a guy to be tabbed as a TOR prospect? And how even more rare it is to have that guy actually become a TOR pitcher for even 1-2 seasons? And how insanely rare it is for one of those guys to become a longer term TOR pitcher?

Posi-Braves throw the term "TOR starter" around so loosely it has essentially lost all meaning around here. There are probably 3 true TOR prospects in the game right now (Giolito, Reyes, and Kopech), and only 2 if you no longer believe in Giolito.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I would be thrilled if Anderson turned into a legit #3 starter.

And TOR prospects are rarely the guys who actually become TOR starters.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    A legit #3 SP is a stud. Folks need to stop thinking it's a knock on a guy to call him a #3 SP. A legit #3 SP gets paid $100M when he hits the FA market around age 30. A legit #3 SP produces ~3 WAR, and is worth $20M+ per year.

Do you have any idea how exceedingly rare it is for a guy to be tabbed as a TOR prospect? And how even more rare it is to have that guy actually become a TOR pitcher for even 1-2 seasons? And how insanely rare it is for one of those guys to become a longer term TOR pitcher?

Posi-Braves throw the term "TOR starter" around so loosely it has essentially lost all meaning around here. There are probably 3 true TOR prospects in the game right now (Giolito, Reyes, and Kopech), and only 2 if you no longer believe in Giolito.
    That's sort of odd since there are 64 #1 and #2 starters in the major leagues. Looks like we have a historic shortage coming in the future.