Page 21 of 64 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Official pre-Draft thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Haseley .399/.498/.683 208 AB 14 HR 41/20 (BB/K) 10/14 SB.

Somewhat successful pitcher at college level with FB perhaps touching 90. Definite draft as hitter. I think the weight of what I've read suggests his defense would probably play a little better in a corner, but could possibly handle center. I think that makes him a little bit of a tweener/possibl fourth OF. If his power does not continue moving up it seems a little light.

Would not be my preference, but it seems like a bet on his power. I like the apparent hit tool.

Still, Maybe I'm trying to force fit big potential into a bad draft, but I'd rather take the tools of an Adell and Beck and roll the dice on what they become as far as OF goes.
    I don't agree on the tweener/4th OF profile. I think we're too quick to see a corner OF without big power as a bench guy when that shouldn't be the case at all. If he can play above-average defense in a corner with an above-average hit tool, even with roughly average power (or even slightly below), that is a clear starting OF with value.

I do agree, though, that I'd rather go Adell or Beck.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I don't agree on the tweener/4th OF profile. I think we're too quick to see a corner OF without big power as a bench guy when that shouldn't be the case at all. If he can play above-average defense in a corner with an above-average hit tool, even with roughly average power (or even slightly below), that is a clear starting OF with value.

I do agree, though, that I'd rather go Adell or Beck.

That's fair, but if his power is below average the team will need to compensate elsewhere. If you think his power turns out to be average for a corner then he clearly projects as a starter.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    That's fair, but if his power is below average the team will need to compensate elsewhere. If you think his power turns out to be average for a corner then he clearly projects as a starter.
    I just don't subscribe to this theory of team building. You need good players throughout the lineup. Haseley projects to be a good player.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Haseley would be an even less-BPA pick than Pratto.

Not stoked at all about the recent rumblings I'm hearing about who the Braves will pick at 5.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I just don't subscribe to this theory of team building. You need good players throughout the lineup. Haseley projects to be a good player.
    There are a lot of different ways to win, but I don't think a lineup lacking in power is a high percentage way of doing that.

It's funny, I thought at the time of the 98 Yankees as a team that didn't have thumpers, but 8/9 regulars had 15 homers or more. None of them had 30 though. That seems like (and probably is) a digression, but the idea of good hitters throughout the lineup led me there. That was a extraordinary good team - sorry to state the obvious.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Lewis intrigues me the most.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Not stoked at all about the recent rumblings I'm hearing about who the Braves will pick at 5.
    Well the one positive is it sounds like these publications are basing their projections on past Brave draft behavior and no insider knowledge.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Well the one positive is it sounds like these publications are basing their projections on past Brave draft behavior and no insider knowledge.
    I'm not sure what benefit there would be in following past draft strategy with no extra picks.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

Most of these national guys don't seem to really have inside information on anything. You've seen them allude to the Braves potentially trying to save money at 5, but that is almost certainly just because we signed Anderson for so much under slot last year. It makes much less sense for us to go that route this year, so they're likely just taking last year and offering possibilities.

And nobody had us taking Anderson until right before the draft last year.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Based on what?? A few blurbs you've read? Lower upside than a guy like Beck probably, but also higher floor.

Lots of people want Adell or Beck, but Pipeline has Haseley at #14 and Adell at #22, sounds like they think higher of the Haseley.

Grades per Pipeline:

Beck
    Hit - 50 Power - 55 Run - 60 Arm - 60 Field - 55 Overall - 55

Haseley
    Hit - 55 Power - 45 Run - 55 Arm - 50 Field - 55 Overall - 55

Adell
    Hit - 45 Power - 55 Run - 65 Arm - 60 Field - 60 Overall - 50

I can absolutely get behind the idea of Haseley if he's got the best hit tool among these three and still projects as above average runner/fielder. That'll play very nicely to get a more advanced bat that can 'catch up' to the guys like Swanson/Allard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    I'm not sure what benefit there would be in following past draft strategy with no extra picks.
    That's why I'm skeptical. There were clear benefits last year. Not this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    That being said. He would be a much better pick than Pratto. Not sure what in he world Enscheff is basing that off of.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    That being said. He would be a much better pick than Pratto. Not sure what in he world Enscheff is basing that off of.
    Haseley would clearly be a pick to save money at 5. When that money is used to draft an injured pitcher at 41, will you Posi-Braves be singing and dancing like usual?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Haseley would clearly be a pick to save money at 5. When that money is used to draft an injured pitcher at 41, will you Posi-Braves be singing and dancing like usual?
    Again why is that clear? He's ranked higher on Pipeline than Adell who a lot of people on this board want at #5, he's got the same FV as Beck. Simply because he might be a late-riser and didn't have as much hype early in the year he's 'clearly' a reach at 5? There's a big bust-potential you have to factor in with Adell/Beck/Lewis.

Fans get way too caught up in early rankings for draft prospects and start taking it for gospel.
    Last edited by Preacher; 05-26-2017 at 11:28 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-26-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    I never said it wouldn't be a money saving move. You said it'd be worse than Pratto... it clearly wouldn't be. I still don't think it's the way they will go because it's all speculation based on previous draft style and the circumstances are completely different this year. But thanks for the lack or reading comprehension as always.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    And even Pratto is 10th on Pipeline's big board with a 60 hit tool, 50 power and 60 field.

There just isn't a lot that separates these guys when you get past the top couple.

Looking at HS bats would you rather take a chance on Adell's high upside but questionable hit tool, or Prattos 1st base only profile but safer hit tool? Its easy to say Adell, but there's a higher chance a guy like that washes out and you get nothing from a top-5 pick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Heyman reporting on Twitter the Twins are expected to pass on Hunter Greene.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,478 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Heyman reporting on Twitter the Twins are expected to pass on Hunter Greene.
    Jim Callis said today that of his entire mock, Cincy taking Greene at 2 is the pick he's most confident in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,478 Posts
    New Baseball America mock: http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...RFLGZ7T2gcM.97

We get Gore at 5. Also said if wright, Greene, gore and Lewis are the top four, we could go with Baz at 5.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,478 Posts
    The note that stood out to me the most from the BA mock was Beck falling to 26:

"North Carolina prep outfielder Austin Beck was losing draft helium as June approached, less because of his performance and more due to the glut of prep outfielders and his shorter track record."