Page 259 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 1592092492572582592602612693093597591259 ... LastLast
Results 5,161 to 5,180 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Show your work.
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/195542/am...s-new-low.aspx

Americans' trust and confidence in the mass media "to report the news fully, accurately and fairly" has dropped to its lowest level in Gallup polling history, with 32% saying they have a great deal or fair amount of trust in the media. This is down eight percentage points from last year.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (05-28-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    What bubble are you guys living in if you don't think majority of Americans distrust the news. This isn't even and left or right thing. It's all news.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Do those polls specify if they group stuff like Chris Matthews, Sean Hannity, or Glenn Beck as news since they're "journalists".
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    What bubble are you guys living in if you don't think majority of Americans distrust the news. This isn't even and left or right thing. It's all news.
    i would not dispute that there is a growing percentage of Americans who believe what they want independent of any objective criteria...distrust in the news is part of it...but i don't think it is the biggest part...know nothingness is strong in America...it has deep roots...and appears to be enjoying a Golden Age

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (05-29-2017)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I'm well aware, which is why I used the term I did.
    Gianforte was charged with misdemeanor assault. Under Montana law that is akin to slapping someone in the face (an action that causes any kind of pain ... aka a catchall), the threat of violence, or just 'insulting' physical conduct. I'd liken 'committing battery' more to aggravated assault. Maybe it's just me, but I find that a pretty important distinction to make. Now, if you are going with the non-legal definition of battery, I don't see the proof - either in the charge, or on the face of The Guardian reporter ... which would be no doubt be plastered everywhere if it supported the severity of that particular claim.

I'd quibble that, quite often, even "physical prompting" is not sufficient cause to draw a forceful response, depending on the context. So a question from a reporter, even if it's badgering, is leagues away from the threshold I consider necessary to merit a physical, forceful response such as that exercised by Gianforte.
    Well, given how ambiguous 'depending on the context' reads, it's hard to disagree with that sentiment. Each situation should be evaluated on a case-by-base basis. I could easily see a case built for Gianforte featuring elements of self-defense (the campaign has asserted that the reporter grabbed Gianforte's wrist first ... whether it's true or not, they floated that information almost immediately) and easily explaining away the assault between campaign anxiety and the reporter marching in the office uninvited (a subtle nod to security).

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    i would not dispute that there is a growing percentage of Americans who believe what they want independent of any objective criteria
    know nothingness is strong in America...it has deep roots...and appears to be enjoying a Golden Age
    I would pay good money to read a thoughtful bridging of these two ideas.

I see where you are going, and some there's some degree of truth behind it, but it's also dangerously simple-minded in its own right.
    Last edited by Hawk; 05-28-2017 at 02:23 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (05-28-2017), The Chosen One (05-28-2017)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Good for Gianforte. Lost the governor's race to Bullock in a state trump won by 20 and his consolation is a house seat. The campaign ads against him are hilarious.

if you haven't definitely check out Steve Bullock. I think he's a darkhorse for 2020 and he's exactly what the Democratic Party needs to win back the rust belt and start winning the frontier states.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Americans don't trust many institutions. The press isn't immune from that distrust. The Kardashians are though... Alas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Good for Gianforte. Lost the governor's race to Bullock in a state trump won by 20 and his consolation is a house seat. The campaign ads against him are hilarious.

if you haven't definitely check out Steve Bullock. I think he's a darkhorse for 2020 and he's exactly what the Democratic Party needs to win back the rust belt and start winning the frontier states.

What's his stance on marijuana legalization? Fair warning, if it's "it needs more study" your going to get a long post from me about why that is bull****.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    The rise in the distrust of the news seems to have a strong correlation with the rise of FOX News and right wing media.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    He's a lifelong democrat and Trump is far from a radical.
    Trump isn't a typical radical, but his lack of policy and knowledge about policy coupled with his arrogance and aggressiveness does create an odd kind of radicalism. It's not predictable or based on anything other than the last person or program able to catch his ear and the right moment.

In some ways, he's much worse than "a radical". He's a deadly, toxic moth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    The rise in the distrust of the news seems to have a strong correlation with the rise of FOX News and right wing media.
    I think there is more of a correlation with the rise of the internet.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Hawk (05-29-2017), sturg33 (05-29-2017)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Agreed. It was always there the internet just became the best way for the type of skepticism and doubt to arise easily.
    Forever Fredi

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts

Gianforte represents everything that's wrong with tone deaf Republicans. An out of touch, self-serving millionaire. Dated social positions. A pawn. He should've been red meat for the Democrats, who instead seem content sticking to an anti-Trump agenda instead of reinventing themselves as the people's party. The anti-Trump angle just isn't playing ... at least not yet.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Gianforte represents everything that's wrong with tone deaf Republicans. An out of touch, self-serving millionaire. Dated social positions. A pawn. He should've been red meat for the Democrats, who instead seem content sticking to an anti-Trump agenda instead of reinventing themselves as the people's party. The anti-Trump angle just isn't playing ... at least not yet.
    But you're wrong. The Montana Democrats didn't run as Anti-Trump. Watch their Gianforte ads.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Fox News and right wing radio has been far more influential on the segment of the population who votes, says me.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    But you're wrong. The Montana Democrats didn't run as Anti-Trump. Watch their Gianforte ads.
    I meant that, in general, Democrats aren't promoting a substantive alternate political universe to support/exist in by way of their candidates. It's a matter of ... this guy is a Republican (which is an automatic Trump association) and he supports this and that (and a personal attack or two [in Gianforte's case: this rich guy transplanted from New Jersey less than 20 years ago]. Cut.

Quist took no strong position on health care reform except to say ... 'Gianforte supports Trump's plan (oh, and he used to like the ACA .. which I may or may not like ... I'll let you guess).'

This is spineless slop. And, let me tell you, announcing that your candidate had a 'botched gallbladder surgery' (whatever the **** that even means) is not relating to your constituents. It's idiotic.

The 2010 midterms were primarily a referendum on health care. Republicans kind of had it easy, given the failures the ACA experienced early on, and simply announced opposition to it with no real alternative (and look how well that's turned out). Democrats seem to think that they have the same luxury now. I disagree.

One of the reasons Bernie Sanders was such a successful candidate was because he was able to associate important causes (and free things) with his name. Democrats need to follow the same script. Champion one or two issues that resound with every American and aggressively push them. Health care could be one, but they've got to find a way to detach the ACA from the AHCA and unravel it in a way that doesn't seem like they are recycling old work.

The alternative needs to have substance this time. Fooled voters once, but I don't think it will again.
    Last edited by Hawk; 05-29-2017 at 10:21 AM.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Fox News and right wing radio has been far more influential on the segment of the population who votes, says me.
    Always someone else's fault in the left's world

23. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (05-29-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Always someone else's fault in the left's world
    Amusing when you think about the sheer volume of false reporting coming from the liberal news organziations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Fun fact...Portland killer was a bernie supporter.