Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Litterater Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts

This was the first time for me to learn about this crime but I'm sure it isn't for Georgians. It's crazy that over 100 years later Frank may still be pardoned.

I wonder how Georgians today feel about it.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Can't say I enjoyed this book but I did find his arguments interesting, at least in their lack of logic and cohesiveness. This being his 6th and last book, not counting the posthumous one from his notes, I expected better writing and a more compelling thought process.

Last edited by Runnin; 09-22-2019 at 01:46 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Anyone interested in history in general should enjoy this. And there is a movie in the making.

Here's an article on Yasuke.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Just finished Thrawn: Treason. It's a great trilogy. I need to move on to another set of fantasy books to just delay my Tolkien Trilogy.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Just finished Thrawn: Treason. It's a great trilogy. I need to move on to another set of fantasy books to just delay my Tolkien Trilogy.
    Thrawn is the best character not in the original trilogy. I had Zahn sign an old pack of Thrawn micromachines at a convention a few years ago. One of my favorite geek collectibles now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,278 Posts
    Just finished The Lightbringer series. Really enjoyed the first four books, but book 5 seem to drag a bit and the quality to a little dive. Overall was a fun read

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Very timely. The true story of the plague ship Ticonderoga- typhus - and it's trip from Liverpool to Australia in 1852.

It was written by the great-great grandson of one of the two ship doctors.

Last edited by Runnin; 04-27-2020 at 12:16 AM.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Any of y'all read Chaucer in the original Middle English?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    I had to memorize the first few pages in ME in high school. Not sure reading the whole thing that way would be pleasant, unless you are a serious English Lit History buff or poet. But it certainly a more melodious version, so if you do I'd recommend reading it aloud.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Any of y'all read Chaucer in the original Middle English?
    I have a student who now has her PhD in Linguistics and she could read Mid English and used to read and translate her Mid English quotes to me as we worked on her Masters and Doctoral theses. It's beautiful, but strange to hear a dead language.

Had to memorize the first 10 or so lines of the prologue in hs. An odd thing to have to memorize.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    I had to memorize the first few pages in ME in high school. Not sure reading the whole thing that way would be pleasant, unless you are a serious English Lit History buff or poet. But it certainly a more melodious version, so if you do I'd recommend reading it aloud.
    I am, dubiously, both (and in the midst of wrapping up a dual Lit MA / Poetry MFA program). Medieval poetry isn't really my area of study, in either purview, but—thanks to a final required seminar—I've been reading Chaucer in the original (along with criticism) pretty much exclusively for the past three months. It's pretty wild how quickly reading facility comes, relative to truly distinct languages: initially, it was taking me about an hour per hundred lines, but now I'm reading five times that closely, and maybe as much as ten times that if I'm skimming. Some colleagues in the class have "cheated" and gone the route of reading a "translation" first, then skimming back through the ME, but in retrospect I'm glad I was obstinate.

I enrolled in an Old English course in undergrad, but dropped that before the three-week withdrawal-deadline; that reading-practice seemed a lot more unpleasant, and like a truly distinct language. As medievalists like to point out, the span between Beowulf and Chaucer is the same as Chaucer to present, but the language changed much more dramatically during the former than the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    I have a student who now has her PhD in Linguistics and she could read Mid English and used to read and translate her Mid English quotes to me as we worked on her Masters and Doctoral theses. It's beautiful, but strange to hear a dead language.

Had to memorize the first 10 or so lines of the prologue in hs. An odd thing to have to memorize.
    It seems it's actually pretty oddly-common, at least judging by my anecdotal sample. My high-school in NW Florida gave us choices (during sophomore-year English) of the passages for mandatory memorization, and the opening of the GP was amongst those; I don't think anybody took that route my year, but I wish I had, since at that point I still had a nice soft adolescent brain for memorizing whatever. Instead, I still have "easy" poems like We Real Cool, Fire and Ice, and The Red Wheelbarrow forever mnemonically lodged in my brain; meanwhile, if I try to memorize a poem or passage now, it's gone in a month without some sort of active maintenance.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Runnin (05-19-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    It seems it's actually pretty oddly-common, at least judging by my anecdotal sample. My high-school in NW Florida gave us choices (during sophomore-year English) of the passages for mandatory memorization, and the opening of the GP was amongst those; I don't think anybody took that route my year, but I wish I had, since at that point I still had a nice soft adolescent brain for memorizing whatever. Instead, I still have "easy" poems like We Real Cool, Fire and Ice, and The Red Wheelbarrow forever mnemonically lodged in my brain; meanwhile, if I try to memorize a poem or passage now, it's gone in a month without some sort of active maintenance.
    I've always been into mnemonics and try to teach it when I find the right student. Went crazy with pi for a few years. Still remember the Tomorrow soliloquy from Macbeth but often forget why I came in the kitchen.

Speaking of remembering, if you need to remember what life can be like, this book is worthy of your time. Apparently, one can still hike some of these trails prisoners escaped on.

Last edited by Runnin; 10-17-2020 at 11:39 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Currently reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. The man is a master of the English language and has a knack for creating the most strangely beautiful worlds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I'm about 90% of the way through listening to The Wise Man's Fear. Man It could be a great show. I know it was optioned a long time ago. But giving it a long form treatment is doable.

I think the trick is you need to kind of shoot all the interludes in succession or near each other so you'd need to be willing to spend a healthy amount of resources to record all the interludes in a short period to not age Kote, Bast, and Chronicler. As the story takes place over 3 days not several years. So it would be much cheaper than makeup and CGI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I got tricked by the hype and read Atlas Six. It was one of the worst books I've ever read. I had to hate read just to finish it. The author manages to have 6 characters give their point of view of nothing happening. She actually did the extraordinary by making you dislike the characters so much with so little substance to the book.

I cleansed by palate with City of Brass. I'm not sure if it was good or if it was just so much better than Atlas Six that it was a relief to read it. Working through Shadow of What Was Lost. It's okay so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,278 Posts
    I'm about 90% of the way through listening to The Wise Man's Fear. Man It could be a great show. I know it was optioned a long time ago. But giving it a long form treatment is doable.

I think the trick is you need to kind of shoot all the interludes in succession or near each other so you'd need to be willing to spend a healthy amount of resources to record all the interludes in a short period to not age Kote, Bast, and Chronicler. As the story takes place over 3 days not several years. So it would be much cheaper than makeup and CGI.
    I just want book 3 so bad. Its never coming

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TURBO View Post
    My favorite series of all time. The first two are such amazing books. But I too am beginning to despair.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TURBO View Post
    I think we'll get it. But I think it's still well off. I'm intrigued by the next novella. Bast is one of the more interesting underdeveloped characters. I'm most of the way through the slow regard of silent things. Which IMO is great. But it's a big tonal shift from the story of the Kingkiller Chronicles.

I think what Rothfuss is struggling with is all the loose ends. THere's so many going into the final book. I think he would be better served finishing Kvothe's story as it was written and getting him to the point he needs to be at. Deal with the final events of that etc. Then you can release novellas, comics, whatever to tie other loose ends up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I think we'll get it. But I think it's still well off. I'm intrigued by the next novella. Bast is one of the more interesting underdeveloped characters. I'm most of the way through the slow regard of silent things. Which IMO is great. But it's a big tonal shift from the story of the Kingkiller Chronicles.

I think what Rothfuss is struggling with is all the loose ends. THere's so many going into the final book. I think he would be better served finishing Kvothe's story as it was written and getting him to the point he needs to be at. Deal with the final events of that etc. Then you can release novellas, comics, whatever to tie other loose ends up.
    The Lightning Tree in the anthology Rouges (which I believe was edited by George RR Martin) is a story of Bast that's already out. It's pretty good. I'm actually wondering if the new novella draws from it.