Page 6 of 88 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Discussion Thread (Spoilers Inside)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Vader probably would want to interrogate, but his Star Destroyer was gone, the had taken Leia to the Death Star by this point. The reason the storm troopers wanted the attacks to look like Sand People was so that who ever had the droids would think it was random attacks and not tip them off that they were being hunted by imperial troopers.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgriff3029 View Post
    Vader probably would want to interrogate, but his Star Destroyer was gone, the had taken Leia to the Death Star by this point. The reason the storm troopers wanted the attacks to look like Sand People was so that who ever had the droids would think it was random attacks and not tip them off that they were being hunted by imperial troopers.
    Empire could have easily detained Owen and Beru until Vader could get back.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Personally, I don't think Anakin was ever completely gone. After all, his blade never really struck down OWK down, he just simply became one with the Force. Over the decades between PT/OT Kenobi would have been Vader's first target, don't you think??? The part that I don't get and never will is how did Vader and Leia either one not know of their connection on the DS?? As the greatest force sensitive in history he had to feel something...
    Last edited by VirginiaBrave; 12-24-2015 at 11:25 PM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Personally, I don't think Anakin was ever completely gone. After all, his blade never really struck down OWK down, he just simply became one with the Force. Over the decades between PT/OT Kenobi would have been Vader's first target, don't you think??? The part that I don't get and never will is how did Vader and Leia either one not know of their connection on the DS?? As the greatest force sensitive in history he had to feel something...
    There is no real explanation other than it was the biggest retcon in the history of retcons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    It comes from the first movie being stand alone in a way. Empire turned a lot of a New Hope on it's head and the prequels blew most of it up.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    I am as big a SW fan as can be. I saw ANH in the theater as a 4 yo and still to this day have my original toys from the time. Each new movie that comes out I collect the lightsabers. This may sound awful to most but I don't hate the PT nor the SE's. Some things were overdone for example putting too much religion in the story. For example Jedis being forbidden to love. It makes no sense. Allowing offspring is really something that should been celebrated as a way to keep the Jedi order strong and pure. Looking at the saga as whole, retcon and all. I think Anakin knew of Luke and Leia's birth and protected them as best he could from Palpatine. Anakin was full of hate. His main target was himself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I am as big a SW fan as can be. I saw ANH in the theater as a 4 yo and still to this day have my original toys from the time. Each new movie that comes out I collect the lightsabers. This may sound awful to most but I don't hate the PT nor the SE's. Some things were overdone for example putting too much religion in the story. For example Jedis being forbidden to love. It makes no sense. Allowing offspring is really something that should been celebrated as a way to keep the Jedi order strong and pure. Looking at the saga as whole, retcon and all. I think Anakin knew of Luke and Leia's birth and protected them as best he could from Palpatine. Anakin was full of hate. His main target was himself.
    Well I like to imagine that Lucas making the order so strict was on purpose to expose the evil of too much good.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    I think you guys are way over analyzing a sci-fi film

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    I think you guys are way over analyzing a sci-fi film
    IT's not sci-fi it's a fantasy space opera.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

Prikichi (12-25-2015)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Am I the only one who was somewhat disappointed by the new Star Wars movie. Granted, i was in college when A New Hope came out and I nearly spilled my 64-ounce drink when the Empire battleship came into the frame. I knew nothing would ever be the same in movies.
    But now, it is. The last 30 minutes of this movie was the a mish-mash of the final 30 minutes of the first three movies (4-6). And the big SPOILER moment was stolen right out of Excalibur, a movie without peer.
    On subject, help me with some things:
    1) Who was Rae Waiting for on the planet and why?
    2) Did anything else think that the story of how Ben turned to the dark side would have been a better movie?
    3) A "bigger" Death Star? Really??? Is that all the bad guys know???
    4) What was that Vader-like black skull thing? Was that supposed to be his mask? Or a piece of coal that looked like Vader?
    5) Did anyone else have a problem with the basic premise of the movie? A "map" to Luke? In two random pieces? If he did not want to be found there would have been no map in any droid's memory?
    Glad I saw it, but it did not earn a repeat visit from me. Had a lot more fun at Fury Road.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Am I the only one who was somewhat disappointed by the new Star Wars movie. Granted, i was in college when A New Hope came out and I nearly spilled my 64-ounce drink when the Empire battleship came into the frame. I knew nothing would ever be the same in movies.
    But now, it is. The last 30 minutes of this movie was the a mish-mash of the final 30 minutes of the first three movies (4-6). And the big SPOILER moment was stolen right out of Excalibur, a movie without peer.
    2) Did anything else think that the story of how Ben turned to the dark side would have been a better movie?
    4) What was that Vader-like black skull thing? Was that supposed to be his mask? Or a piece of coal that looked like Vader?
    5) Did anyone else have a problem with the basic premise of the movie? A "map" to Luke? In two random pieces? If he did not want to be found there would have been no map in any droid's memory?
    Glad I saw it, but it did not earn a repeat visit from me. Had a lot more fun at Fury Road.
    1 and 5 will be answered in the next movie. I wouldn't be so sure it was a map to Luke. :)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    1. Rey was waiting on whoever dropped her off. More than likely it was Luke and she was likely told they would come back for her to calm her down and she held onto that.

2. I really enjoyed this movie so it's hard to say that would be better. But that is going to get fleshed out in books and comics.

3. Well when it works.....They did destroy the central government of the galaxy so that will have ramifications going forward.

4. It was Vaders mask. Remember at the end of Return of the Jedi they set Vaders body/suit on fire. Somehow the First Order got the charred remains of the helmet.

5. I thought it was a little strange. But it's a space opera and those type of things come with it. Was there any reason for there to be such a weakness in the original deathstar?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    It comes from the first movie being stand alone in a way. Empire turned a lot of a New Hope on it's head and the prequels blew most of it up.
    Yeah. You just have to accept that. Same way with Leia and Luke kissing, etc. Going forward that's going to be a lot better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Yeah. You just have to accept that. Same way with Leia and Luke kissing, etc. Going forward that's going to be a lot better.
    There's lots of issues with ANH it is certainly the weakest as far as the whole saga's continuity. I mean Empire fleshed out all the characters in such a more interesting way, made the force cooler. I mean even dumb lines in ANH like the dude on the Death Star talking about Vader's old religion or whatever. How can that be possible that it's talked about like that when your ****ing boss is killing people with the force. Not to mention there had to be a history class or something that would have tlaked about the clone wars.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    Just saw it and enjoyed it. Would probably rank it second or third. Empire Strikes Back is clear No. 1 and this one battles with the other original two. Music was not quite up to par with the original trilogy, but it wasn't bad either. The back half did feel a little rushed. And there were quite a few happenings in the movie that were perhaps too much of a neatly-arranged coincidence. But that isn't a big deal to me when you're talking about movies like this. It's all part of the fun.

I'd be surprised if this doesn't wind up being the all-time box office champ.

Spoiler: 

1. Goddamnit, they killed Han, and I thought for a minute Chewy was gonna die. For some reason, I immediately thought of the movie Fanboys and what those guys would have thought about Han dying.

2. I had the same thought a couple of you did about Rey being Luke's daughter. At the very least, they have some connection. The tip off for me was seeing R2-D2 in her vision. That was R2, right?

One last thought, the prices for movie tickets are an embarrassment. The prices for food and drink there even worse.
    Last edited by bravesnumberone; 12-26-2015 at 12:01 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Saw it this afternoon and enjoyed it as well. In league with IV-VI. Things set up nicely to flesh out the characters more in the next movie. Not a huge fan yet of the Snoke character.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    ALready passed a billion. 12 days passed it faster than Jurassic World. Site I see has it as 15th highest grossing of all time already. On Domestic it's already 5th of all time. If it blows up in China it should beat Avatar's record. I know it's gonna shatter Avatar's domestic numbers. It's "only" about 200 million behind it with months of replays left in it and pretty much no blockbuster competition until Deadpool comes out, which will be R Rated. Everything in January will be art house competition but really not much in terms of big time blockbusters so it should be selling well for at least a month more.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Rey had to have some help in that final lightsaber battle against Ren. It either came from Luke or Anakin. I mean she went from zero to 60 with her force abilities.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Given the almost 2 weeks since the premier I think we can ditch spoiler tags. I just tagged the thread so people who haven't seen it yet can know to stay away if they're butthurt by spoilers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Sorry, dont' feel like quoting the whole post

2. I had the same thought a couple of you did about Rey being Luke's daughter. At the very least, they have some connection. The tip off for me was seeing R2-D2 in her vision. That was R2, right?

As far as we know yes. The scene is depicting Luke putting R2 to sleep.

That being said, force visions can be wrong. There's a lot to digest in the vision. I think the next movie clears up the history part. I also wonder if we'll see the other knights of ren or learn that Kylo killed them all to become a sith.