Results 8,621 to 8,640 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    So MLB is renaming the disabled list the injury list because they believe there it causes a misconception that disabled people are injured and can't participate in sports.

I saw this on Twitter and thought it was an Onion article until I saw it was from ESPN.
    Good change for a good reason.

Even if you’re “PC averse”, “disabled” is semantically distinct from “injured” or “physically unable to play”. It’s also symbolically important to many in the disabled community, while at the same time an easy and innocuous change in nomenclature. No lose decision by MLB.
    Last edited by jpx7; 02-08-2019 at 12:38 AM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (02-08-2019), Jaw (02-08-2019)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    The more I read on sixto the worse this looks.

Talented. But far away. Already some elbow issues. Short. I’d rather have Touki.

I think the marlins returns on moving jtr, Stanton, ozuna and yelich is criminally bad

Timing was off. I wish yellich was available the year before acuna blew up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post

Talented. But far away. Already some elbow issues. Short. I’d rather have Touki.

I think the marlins returns on moving jtr, Stanton, ozuna and yelich is criminally bad

Touki is much more valuable as he's already ready. If Touki had been available, the deal would have been done long ago

Spring Training Invitee TheRunningAgent's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    The thing about the NL East getting better doesn’t hurt us as much as it seems because, for example, the Nats and Mets have to play the Phillies too. There will be some luck involved with pitching matchups. At this point, I hope we can pick up Kimbrel for 2 years to push the relievers back a spot. I know that’s debatable with a lot of you but it’s my hope.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TheRunningAgent For This Useful Post:

elmore80 (02-08-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post

Not to be mean, but your opinion on Sixto isn't all that relevant. He is considered a better prospect than pretty much any pitcher we have right now. Certainly is regarded no worse than either Soroka or Anderson (widely regarded as our top 2 pitching prospects. Also, proximity to the majors isn't really relevant to the Marlins at this time.
    Last edited by Carp; 02-08-2019 at 07:44 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Touki is much more valuable as he's already ready. If Touki had been available, the deal would have been done long ago
    I doubt Touki is "much more valuable" simply because he is ready. Maybe to competitive teams that would be so, but to the Marlins I doubt each pitcher's readiness is much of a factor.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I am glad the faillies made this deal. They are now super thin at pitching. Not that Sixto could help them this year but it basically makes them thin for the foreseeable future. They will have to spend stupid money to keep guys in the rotation. Also will need to spend stupid money for catcher in two years when guys like Hoskins is hitting arb and Nola closing in on FA.

What I am mad about is the bull**** DD (his grade as gm) shoved down our throats. From his mouth “We have money and prospects to spend and major nedds at Cof and catcher.” What do we get. A buddy signing and old farts to push the can down the road for another year. We get to watch the most risky assets in the game try to build value and listen to more bull**** about how we can spend or trade with anyone. Hopefully there will be a trophy for best value spending because that is going to be the only trophy that DD will probably get.

We could have fielded a better team this year but DD Is probably in over his head going from money to a budget. Unfortunately we are stuck with this do nothing for many years because no in the org is going to care enough to see the truth. Oh well. Here is to all our pitchers hitting there projections.
    Last edited by bravesfanMatt; 02-08-2019 at 08:12 AM.
    Coppy

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    Well- to be fair, I think most folks are glad AA didn’t do anything totally dumb here. While it may not look “ballsy,” this is a long long process, and there is certainly no reason to overpay - which in my opinion Philly just did, and anything more than Riley (which would have pissed me off- I think he’s a stud and our future 3B in ‘20 when **** gets real) was even worse.
    Sorry for length- to sum: good for fish - kinda. Bad for philly. Great for us.
    After watching Coppolella's hyperactive approach to the off-season that met with varying levels of competency, I'm happy to see a GM not "do something just to do something." Would have been nice to add another solid bat and maybe that's coming, but he didn't clean out the farm to add minimal benefit.

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I am glad the faillies made this deal. They are now super thin at pitching. Not that Sixto could help them this year but it basically makes them thin for the foreseeable future. They will have to spend stupid money to keep guys in the rotation. Also will need to spend stupid money for catcher in two years when guys like Hoskins is hitting arb and Nola closing in on FA.

What I am mad about is the bull**** DD (his grade as gm) shoved down our throats. From his mouth “We have money and prospects to spend and major nedds at Cof and catcher.” What do we get. A buddy signing and old farts to push the can down the road for another year. We get to watch the most risky assets in the game try to build value and listen to more bull**** about how we can spend or trade with anyone. Hopefully there will be a trophy for best value spending because that is going to be the only trophy that DD will probably get.

We could have fielded a better team this year but DD Is probably in over his head going from money to a budget. Unfortunately we are stuck with this do nothing for many years because no in the org is going to care enough to see the truth. Oh well. Here is to all our pitchers hitting there projections.
    AA is like that one dude in your fantasy league who thinks all of his players are first round picks and is hoarding RBs with garbage WRs, refusing to trade from a position of strength to upgrade a weakness.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyTrain For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (02-08-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Good change for a good reason.

Even if you’re “PC averse”, “disabled” is semantically distinct from “injured” or “physically unable to play”. It’s also symbolically important to many in the disabled community, while at the same time an easy and innocuous change in nomenclature. No lose decision by MLB.
    It's a lose for baseball in that the justifications for making this change are absolutely ridiculous. They're literally saying that the term "disabled list" creates a misconception that disabled people can't play sports. That's a connection no sane person would ever make.

It's like people forget that one word can have multiple definitions. One of the definitions of the word "disable" is "to put out of action". So someone on baseball's disabled list is someone who has been put out of action. It's an absolutely legitimate use of the word.

To say that people can't understand that the "disabled" in "disabled list" and "disabled individual" have different meanings is absurd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I doubt Touki is "much more valuable" simply because he is ready. Maybe to competitive teams that would be so, but to the Marlins I doubt each pitcher's readiness is much of a factor.
    There's more to it. I was just on my phone and didn't want to type it all out.

The difference in their points of development are huge in terms of value. Touki has made it to the majors and shown positive signs that he has what it takes to be a difference maker at that level. Sixto hasn't played above A+.

The two hardest jumps for players are the jump between A and AA and the jump from AAA to the majors. The fact that Sixto hasn't made either puts him well behind Touki in terms of value.

Even though the Marlins don't have to care about competing this year, they would be stupid to ignore the fact that a player is MLB ready for no other reason than the reduction in risk. Sixto has a longer way to go and so more opportunities to flame out.

For the record, I'd have been calling for AA to be fired if he'd traded Touki for Realmuto.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I'd like to see us get Leclerc from the Rangers, Clint Frazier to replace Duvall, and one of Watson or Smith from San Fran.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    It's a lose for baseball in that the justifications for making this change are absolutely ridiculous. They're literally saying that the term "disabled list" creates a misconception that disabled people can't play sports. That's a connection no sane person would ever make.

It's like people forget that one word can have multiple definitions. One of the definitions of the word "disable" is "to put out of action". So someone on baseball's disabled list is someone who has been put out of action. It's an absolutely legitimate use of the word.

To say that people can't understand that the "disabled" in "disabled list" and "disabled individual" have different meanings is absurd.
    why does it even matter..?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts

I’m with you. He promised all this stuff and didn’t really deliver. Donaldson is the only player he picked up and I pray he stays healthy. He failed immensely at upgrading COF bc in no scenario should Markakis have been brought back no matter how cheap. Now we lose another year of Acuna, Albies, Freeman, and the rest of the controllable guys while we more than likely finish 3rd at best in the division. AA completely read the market wrong and spent all of his money early on and was outmatched in trade talks imo. Sometimes it’s about winning and not all about value. We have to go for it at some point bc somebody this year will turn into the new Allard and that’ll be one or two less guys we can trade with value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    why does it even matter..?
    Like most stupid decisions, it ultimately doesn't matter. Just something that made me wearily shake my head.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I’m with you. He promised all this stuff and didn’t really deliver. Donaldson is the only player he picked up and I pray he stays healthy. He failed immensely at upgrading COF bc in no scenario should Markakis have been brought back no matter how cheap. Now we lose another year of Acuna, Albies, Freeman, and the rest of the controllable guys while we more than likely finish 3rd at best in the division. AA completely read the market wrong and spent all of his money early on and was outmatched in trade talks imo. Sometimes it’s about winning and not all about value. We have to go for it at some point bc somebody this year will turn into the new Allard and that’ll be one or two less guys we can trade with value.
    Be ready because I think Neck will be here for 2 more years....AA completely sucks and I don't trust a word he says....can we get Coppy/Wren back?
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    David O'Brien

Verified account

@DOBrienATL
    1h1 hour ago
    More David O'Brien Retweeted Ken Rosenthal
    Marlins dispute reports they asked #Braves for Albies in Realmuto trade talks, say their focus was on Austin Riley
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

Donaldson vs Harper WAR:

2013 7.2 v 4.1
    2014 5.7 v 1.6
    2015 8.7 v 9.3
    2016 7.6 v 3.0
    2017 5.1 v 4.8
    2018 1.3 v 3.5
    2019 4.1 v 4.9 (Projected - Steamer)

It's absolutely true that Donaldson is older and more recently injured, though Harper missed 20 games in 2012, 40 games in 2013, 60 games in 2014, and 50 games in 2017 so he is no model of health and consistency even though he is young.

It's absolutely true that you would not expect Harper to be in decline though and you could reasonably forecast that Donaldson could be on the downhill. But it's not especially likely he misses the season or is suddenly an average player. The projections tell you that even taking in account his missing a projected 40 games.

Donaldson will be about 10m cheaper in 2019 and the commitment is about 4-9 years less that what it would be to Harper, but I get the impression that people would rather have the young guy with the massive contract on the books than similar production right now for one year. I think that's bad reasoning.

Signing Donaldson isn't "bringing in his buddy" it's signing arguably the best hitter on the market to a relatively risk free deal, with multiple options in place to address the possibility of his injury or decline.

I get that people had it in their mind that the needs were positional and they don't like one year solutions, but the Braves dramatically upgraded the middle of their lineup for 2019. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out, but the level of people who seem to be acting like the Braves signed Jose Bautista is ludicrous.

I personally would prefer that the front office was more aggressive and I don't think the best use of the Braves prospect capital in rotation arms is to sit on them, but I can't fault them tremendously for not just throwing them around recklessly because the Marlins have a catcher and the offseason shopping list included getting a catcher.

Or giving Pollock five years or McCutchen three just because they needed a cOF.

There are plenty of opportunities for the Braves to upgrade the roster in season. I certainly hope that they do something else this offseason, but in all honesty, I don't think they have that many glaring needs that they can't fiddle around with internally.

I'd much rather they save their capital and money for a good long term solution. I think what the Phillies did for 2 years of Realmuto was too much. I say that fully believing they've gotten a whole lot better this offseason.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRunningAgent View Post
    The thing about the NL East getting better doesn’t hurt us as much as it seems because, for example, the Nats and Mets have to play the Phillies too. There will be some luck involved with pitching matchups. At this point, I hope we can pick up Kimbrel for 2 years to push the relievers back a spot. I know that’s debatable with a lot of you but it’s my hope.
    Yes, the whole division plays the same # of games vs the East. The outcome of those games may reflect the projections or it may not. It's baseball.

You also can't talk about the Braves regressing from their record vs East and also assume they will fare as poorly as they did last year against the rest of baseball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    David O'Brien

Verified account

@DOBrienATL
    1h1 hour ago
    More David O'Brien Retweeted Ken Rosenthal
    Marlins dispute reports they asked #Braves for Albies in Realmuto trade talks, say their focus was on Austin Riley
    Why didn't we give them albies and Riley to get him?