Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Austin Riley being called up

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    Short sighted move. Wait another 7-10 days and you all but eliminate potential super 2 status. Plus, why sign Duvall for $3MM to play in AAA when even if he hits well, which he has, you still won't bring him up? Further, Duvall's defense is better and he
    could hit just as well or better than Riley, who understandably may need an adjustment period. He always has needed that in the past.
    We could easily send him back down for a week sometime later.
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Interesting thought that hasn't really been discussed...

It would have to be an unexpected situation for sure, but say there's a point that Donaldson could be traded for something better than the compensation pick we'd get for him turning down the QO this winter. It certainly wouldn't have hurt to let Riley have gotten his feet wet already.

It's unlikely, sure, but the reports say that Andujar's shoulder hasn't improved - and I don't think the Yankees expect Gio Urshela to continue hitting at a level he's never hit in his life. They've got LeMahieu, but he's much better suited to provide them flexibility with using Gleyber at SS some after Didi gets back (to try to make sure he's healthy during the postseason). If they're dead-set on making a push and Andujar's unavailable, isn't Donaldson a perfect fit as a rental that won't be in the way if they shut him down until 2020?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-16-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I think Riley has a much better shot of providing a spark than Duvall does.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Count me among those who think the more prudent move would have been to go with a Duvall/Joyce platoon in LF for a bit. I expect Riley to be a pretty bad in LF, though not Kemp-bad. He isn't being called up to be the short side of a platoon, so we are going to see a lot of him in LF for a bit.

It will be cool to get real data on him though.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-15-2019), JohnAdcox (05-16-2019), jpx7 (05-15-2019)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Who is booted off the 40 man?

Ender value is in the toilet and we owe him 3 more Years?

Lineup HHS’s been good. Pitching and defense not so much. Our of might not be Phillies bad but I am worried about it.

How is comargo going to play? Will he play more 2b?

I would have used Duvall and try to flip him for a reliever

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Interesting thought that hasn't really been discussed...

It would have to be an unexpected situation for sure, but say there's a point that Donaldson could be traded for something better than the compensation pick we'd get for him turning down the QO this winter. It certainly wouldn't have hurt to let Riley have gotten his feet wet already.

It's unlikely, sure, but the reports say that Andujar's shoulder hasn't improved - and I don't think the Yankees expect Gio Urshela to continue hitting at a level he's never hit in his life. They've got LeMahieu, but he's much better suited to provide them flexibility with using Gleyber at SS some after Didi gets back (to try to make sure he's healthy during the postseason). If they're dead-set on making a push and Andujar's unavailable, isn't Donaldson a perfect fit as a rental that won't be in the way if they shut him down until 2020?
    Not to be mean, but why would you even think such a scenario is even remotely possible? There is legitimately a zero percent chance we trade Donaldson unless we're out of contention or unless it turns out he beats women children, and dogs in his free time. Though, if it turns out he beats cats I'd probably give him a bonus and extent him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Not to be mean, but why would you even think such a scenario is even remotely possible? There is legitimately a zero percent chance we trade Donaldson unless we're out of contention or unless it turns out he beats women children, and dogs in his free time. Though, if it turns out he beats cats I'd probably give him a bonus and extent him.
    You're correct in the assertion that JD won't be traded unless the Braves fall out of contention. Contending teams don't unload middle of the order bats no matter what the return may be. The "interesting thought" was never discussed because it's a pretty bad idea.

However, there is a fairly strong chance the Braves will be out of the race by the end of July. There are currently 4 teams ahead of them for the 2nd WC spot, and plodding along with a 80-85 win pace probably isn't going to catch the Phillies. I don't now what the contention threshold is for trading JD, but I would suggest it's somewhere around a 10% playoff odds at the end of July.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 05-15-2019 at 11:16 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-16-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    I've found that Riley's tendencies to be honest have not be to struggle at a new level, but more to struggle with him starting his season actually. I'm quietly optimistic that he'll be fine, and even if not, getting his feet wet at the plate will only help him.

Yes, Riley didn't do so hot in AAA last year, but as it turned out he got injured shortly after he got promoted there so it was more injury related reasons. The AAA coach said that he was "finely looking healthy again" in his last 102 PAs last year.

Scouts say he's serviceable out in the outfield, FWIW.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgiaGirl For This Useful Post:

buck75 (05-15-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    What part of a "unexpected situation" did you misunderstand?

Folty's hurting more than he's letting on, Ozzie's already falling back into his bad habits, teams are doing a better job following the book on Acuna, the young pitching (other than Soroka and Fried) hasn't taken a step forward, Gausman and Julio are Gausman and Julio, and while the pen has been better of late it's not something to feel overly confident about.

This team looks as likely to be out of the race come deadline time as it looks like it'll be in it.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    you imply the scenario is impossible then mention the entirely plausible way the trade it could happen.

If the Braves are out of it they have to investigate trades of the veterans though the production hasn’t been ideal.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    What part of a "unexpected situation" did you misunderstand?

Folty's hurting more than he's letting on, Ozzie's already falling back into his bad habits, teams are doing a better job following the book on Acuna, the young pitching (other than Soroka and Fried) hasn't taken a step forward, Gausman and Julio are Gausman and Julio, and while the pen has been better of late it's not something to feel overly confident about.

This team looks as likely to be out of the race come deadline time as it looks like it'll be in it.
    So an unexpected situation now turns into it looks like we're likely out of contention? Which is it?

It's not like the Phillies are running away with the division. We're a .500 team that's had some bad luck with injuries to the SP and BP. And we've played a harder schedule thus far than the Phillies have.
    Last edited by Carp; 05-15-2019 at 01:28 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    you imply the scenario is impossible then mention the entirely plausible way the trade it could happen.

If the Braves are out of it they have to investigate trades of the veterans though the production hasn’t been ideal.
    Probably a miscommunication, but the way clv wordes his post, it seemed to me he thought we might consider moving Donaldson and replace him with Riley, whether we were winning or not, in order to get a better player than the draft pick might net.
    Last edited by Carp; 05-15-2019 at 01:29 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-15-2019), Southcack77 (05-15-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

seriously? lol
    right now, it's not relatively close to happening. Riley is not here because the Braves are currently thinking about trading Donaldson and they want Riley to get his feet wet.
    down the line Donaldson may be dealt...but that has nothing to do with Riley, right now.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    How many had Camargo played before this year?
    Camargo spent a lot of spring training in the outfield and if I were to venture a guess, he's more athletic than Riley.

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    I've found that Riley's tendencies to be honest have not be to struggle at a new level, but more to struggle with him starting his season actually. I'm quietly optimistic that he'll be fine, and even if not, getting his feet wet at the plate will only help him.

Yes, Riley didn't do so hot in AAA last year, but as it turned out he got injured shortly after he got promoted there so it was more injury related reasons. The AAA coach said that he was "finely looking healthy again" in his last 102 PAs last year.

Scouts say he's serviceable out in the outfield, FWIW.
    This had to help also...

FKA Ozzie's Chainz

Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Got to take the L sometimes.

I've been used to it over the years.
    Braves / Panthers / Lakers / Hornets / Clemson / Duke Basketball

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Camargo spent a lot of spring training in the outfield and if I were to venture a guess, he's more athletic than Riley.
    Not so sure. Riley might have a better speed number than Comargo. Comargo looks athletic but he is really slow and really stiff.

I hope this means that Neck gets some more rest. He's been big time but I'd like to try to sit him once a week to keep him fresh. With Comargo, Riley, Ender and Culberson I really don't think Donaldson or Neck should ever play a day game after a night game or play more than 5 days in a row.

When Ender is back what do you do? I'd option a bullpen piece and just use options to keep bringing up fresh arms.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Not so sure. Riley might have a better speed number than Comargo. Comargo looks athletic but he is really slow and really stiff.

I hope this means that Neck gets some more rest. He's been big time but I'd like to try to sit him once a week to keep him fresh. With Comargo, Riley, Ender and Culberson I really don't think Donaldson or Neck should ever play a day game after a night game or play more than 5 days in a row.

When Ender is back what do you do? I'd option a bullpen piece and just use options to keep bringing up fresh arms.
    I doubt Riley's are any worse as Camargo's were among the slowest on the team last year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    So an unexpected situation now turns into it looks like we're likely out of contention? Which is it?

It's not like the Phillies are running away with the division. We're a .500 team that's had some bad luck with injuries to the SP and BP. And we've played a harder schedule thus far than the Phillies have.

When I read it, I thought the unexpected situation was being out of contention.

Having Riley get his "feet wet" seemed to imply that he wasn't the reason for the trade. at least to me. I think y'all are just used to giving the poster a hard time.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    seriously? lol
    right now, it's not relatively close to happening. Riley is not here because the Braves are currently thinking about trading Donaldson and they want Riley to get his feet wet.
    down the line Donaldson may be dealt...but that has nothing to do with Riley, right now.
    Seriously.

Read the post again. It neither says, nor implies, that the Braves have called Riley up to "get his feet wet" so that he can be traded.

Y'all give civ a break.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    When I read it, I thought the unexpected situation was being out of contention.

Having Riley get his "feet wet" seemed to imply that he wasn't the reason for the trade. at least to me. I think y'all are just used to giving the poster a hard time.
    I never do and I read it as Riley is the reason we trade JD.
    Coppy