Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Senate votes to let ISP's sell your browsing history without your consent.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I should've known not to trust 57... the left sure loves them some fake news

Had to chuckle when I saw Sanford's name. There's no question he is a privacy advocate. I mean, he's out there walking on the Appalachian Trail getting his thoughts together and . . . oh, wait.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-03-2017), Julio3000 (03-29-2017)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I obviously don't support the practice, but I find it hard to care too much about my browser history. I'm not too big on my privacy as a whole so long as it doesn't stray into something that actually affects my life in some way. I still reject these ideas due to the slope it puts us on, but meh.
    Here's my issue, they could sell my browser history, if I got a steep discount on my internet. They want free access to make more money and not give the consumer any benefit.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

4. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-03-2017)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Noted, thanks. And, seriously, good for him.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    So the republicans have to fix the last administrations mistakes again.
    i still don't get how this is Obama's fault and republicans fixing something
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Here's my issue, they could sell my browser history, if I got a steep discount on my internet. They want free access to make more money and not give the consumer any benefit.
    To expand on this. I'm fine with Google Ads. Google Ads lets me use many of Google's amazing services (Android, Gmail, Maps, Chrome, etc.) for free. Only Google Service I pay for is the add free ones (Playmusic/Youtube Red) and to me that's fine. Google provides great services and by letting them target me with Ads I get those great services for free. THey're open about what they're doing if you pay attention. Facebook is a bit shadier to me, they're open about what they do, but not always about how they do it. And sometimes ads on facebook get too specific for my liking suggesting deeper data mining than they're saying, but maybe it's just been too long since I"ve read their ad policy.

BTW since it's the topic of ad selling and this is the political forum, Facebook thinks my politics are MOderate, don't understand how they got there other than the fact I post nothing positive about the democrats or republicans and only share posts about things that I care about and not all the things whichis what leads to the liberal/conservative social media echo chambers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    If our elected officials voted for this then isnt this the will of the people? Really sucks when other people to vote away your rights doesnt it?
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    If our elected officials voted for this then isnt this the will of the people? Really sucks when other people to vote away your rights doesnt it?
    Yep... Obamacare is the will of the people but this is big bad republicans being assholes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    If by "the people" you mean the ISP lobbyists, than yes. Comcast cannot exist without crony capitalism.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (04-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    You know what party wouldn't be selling us out left and right with bills like this?

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    You know what party wouldn't be selling us out left and right with bills like this?
    the unicorns

/julio

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Party doesn't matter. If a libertarian is getting money thrown at him/her to get elected, they'd cowtow to this bill. Considering son of St. Ron Paul, Rand Paul was a co-sponsor. He didn't vote mind you, but he didn't have to. 50 confirmed yeses meant that he didn't have to actually vote for it and could stick to his "guns"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    the unicorns

/julio
    Yawn. Wake me when there is a viable libertarian party that amounts to more than a protest vote.

One interesting thing about is how you're casting libertarians as protectors of the little guy in the case of internet privacy...I wonder how that stacks up with an otherwise across-the-board anti-regulation regime.

Like, we can make laws protecting privacy but not protecting us from carcinogens in the air and water. The free market will take care of that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Relax Francis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Party doesn't matter. If a libertarian is getting money thrown at him/her to get elected, they'd cowtow to this bill. Considering son of St. Ron Paul, Rand Paul was a co-sponsor. He didn't vote mind you, but he didn't have to. 50 confirmed yeses meant that he didn't have to actually vote for it and could stick to his "guns"

Rand is playing the game so the media won't blacklist him like his father when he runs for president. If he doesn't appear to be corrupt they will call him too extreme to cover.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Yawn. Wake me when there is a viable libertarian party that amounts to more than a protest vote.

One interesting thing about is how you're casting libertarians as protectors of the little guy in the case of internet privacy...I wonder how that stacks up with an otherwise across-the-board anti-regulation regime.

Like, we can make laws protecting privacy but not protecting us from carcinogens in the air and water. The free market will take care of that.
    That's why we need ranked choice voting, it's hard to work our way up in votes when both major parties nominate candidates so bad that each side considers the other candidate to be literally hitler.

I doubt there is any party your going to agree with 100%. But hey, keep voting for the same 2 parties, it's going great so far.

It’s over."

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (04-03-2017), jpx7 (04-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Rand is playing the game so the media won't blacklist him like his father when he runs for president. If he doesn't appear to be corrupt they will call him too extreme to cover.
    Well that's a convenient load of Bull****.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Yawn. Wake me when there is a viable libertarian party that amounts to more than a protest vote
    This is a common criticism, but one that will never be address until people like you change how you think.

Justin Amash is a viable libertarian candidate, and he as won elections. So did Ron Paul. Gary Johnson was a governor.

But when these people show up, you call them unicorns. You'll never support an actual libertarian candidate bc he/she "can't win"

So there will never be any pleasing you. You'll never support one bc you don't agree with them, and that's fine. But you should frame it like that rather than voting for a unicorn.

If you want to shut us libertarians up, put us on the debate stage, vote us into office, and let us fail. At this point what do you have to lose?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    This is a common criticism, but one that will never be address until people like you change how you think.

Justin Amash is a viable libertarian candidate, and he as won elections. So did Ron Paul. Gary Johnson was a governor.

But when these people show up, you call them unicorns. You'll never support an actual libertarian candidate bc he/she "can't win"

So there will never be any pleasing you. You'll never support one bc you don't agree with them, and that's fine. But you should frame it like that rather than voting for a unicorn.

If you want to shut us libertarians up, put us on the debate stage, vote us into office, and let us fail. At this point what do you have to lose?
    No, I call your Platonic Ideal Libertarian Alternative a unicorn. I use that language because you propose these pat, easy--one might even say magical--solutions to problems, with the luxury that you've never had to actually test their success or failure IRL.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    That's why we need ranked choice voting, it's hard to work our way up in votes when both major parties nominate candidates so bad that each side considers the other candidate to be literally hitler.

I doubt there is any party your going to agree with 100%. But hey, keep voting for the same 2 parties, it's going great so far.
    Senator Sanders advocates for just such a model. I agree that it's the direction we should move, and one of the only ways to disturb the two-party duopoly (which is why most in both parties oppose it).
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    No, I call your Platonic Ideal Libertarian Alternative a unicorn. I use that language because you propose these pat, easy--one might even say magical--solutions to problems, with the luxury that you've never had to actually test their success or failure IRL.
    So what do you want from me? I have my beliefs and I advocate and vote for them. If my choice doesn't win I suppose you suggest I just succumb to the2 party lesser of two evils system?