Thread: NBA Thread

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Bobby Portis didn’t swing hard enough.
    Mirotic played just long enough to merit a solid (~20th) pick, so I'd say Bobby Flex swung just hard enough to help the tank but allow Mirotic to showcase his (often underutilized, by the Bulls) skills.

I wish they could've found a good trade for Portis, too; he looks like he'll be a decent player in the league, but I am no fan of his.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Mirotic played just long enough to merit a solid (~20th) pick, so I'd say Bobby Flex swung just hard enough to help the tank but allow Mirotic to showcase his (often underutilized, by the Bulls) skills.

I wish they could've found a good trade for Portis, too; he looks like he'll be a decent player in the league, but I am no fan of his.
    Bulls seem like they are in the Rockets mode prior to getting Harden. Just acquire as many pieces as possible and hope to flip them for a star.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Bulls seem like they are in the Rockets mode prior to getting Harden. Just acquire as many pieces as possible and hope to flip them for a star.
    Except the Rockets had a competent front-office.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Hawks allowed Budenholzer to interview with Phoenix. I’ve been against him for awhile now. Stubborn coach who believes in his system and won’t change. Most GMs want their guy and Schlenk whom I think is terrible anyway had Bud forced on him. The Hawks are going to be bad for a long time.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Good game one, [MENTION=7]thethe[/MENTION]. Paul George was a menace and I thought Billy Donovan ran an offense that took Gobert completely out of the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Good game one, [MENTION=7]thethe[/MENTION]. Paul George was a menace and I thought Billy Donovan ran an offense that took Gobert completely out of the game.
    It was a good game. Honestly I think the end score was misleading. I thought we dominated the game for about 40 minutes.

The strategy of let Rubio shoot is a good one but I suspect that Snyder will put an end to that real quick.

I hate that Adams won't play a large offensive role in this game but there is absolutely nothing you can do against Gobert.

Ultimately, George made shots. That hasn't been the theme all season so once those shots stop falling OKC is going to have to win a close game and we haven't been good at that all year.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Loving New Orleans taking it to Portland in Portland. Mirotic is such a weapon alongside Davis; few frontcourts can handle those matchup headaches, but the Trailblazers seem especially ill-equipped.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Loving New Orleans taking it to Portland in Portland. Mirotic is such a weapon alongside Davis; few frontcourts can handle those matchup headaches, but the Trailblazers seem especially ill-equipped.
    I have no clue why they acquired Cousins. Just a waste of assets.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    To be fair, they didn’t know Mirotic would fall into their laps.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    [MENTION=7]thethe[/MENTION]

Fun game 2... at least for me! Thunder aren’t the same without Adams, especially Russ. The Jazz really dictated the Thunder’s offensive flow tonight. Game three is going to be fascinating.

Donovan is seriously Wade Jr. What a performance

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Nice to see Carmelo fail in the clutch moments.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Nice to see Carmelo fail in the clutch moments.
    He’s been legitimately awful. Billy Donovan should be accountable for how much playing time he gives Melo.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-19-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Was at an after busy season party with our auditors (at the met game). Didn't see any of the game and looks like that's a good thing. Need to take one of the next 2 games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    To add another to be fair: Cousins is generationally uber-talented, and seemed to be getting past his mindset issues within a non-trainwreck franchise, so I understand the logic from that angle; and I also sympathize with the notion of roster-building against-the-grain, anchored by two bigs (though I question whether that was as much a niche they identified to exploit as it was convenient contrarianism). But ultimately—and especially since many this year (in spite of the "death of the center position" refrain we've heard for the past few years) rely on / thrive best with one "true center" (Gobert, Embiid, Towns, even Adams and Capela)—ultimately I think the Pels play best with Davis as a single, roaming center surrounded by shooters, as opposed to at PF next to another ball-dominant center-type. Mirotic is thus great for them because, while he needs to be more involved in an offense than as a simple spot-up shooter, he doesn't need the sort of USG that Cousins requires; and he can slash, shoot the three at solid efficiency in volume, and is an underrated rebounder and defender of most fellow PFs (while playing him at SF is a mistake).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Mirotic doing boss things. Leading scorer for the Pels; 58 combined from him and Davis.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Russ is playing like he wants a few extra weeks of vacation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Russ is playing like he wants a few extra weeks of vacation.
    Not a championship player.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Harden and Paul doing what they best.
    Not performing in the playoffs.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Not a championship player.
    If PG leaves, would you trade Russ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Interesting day in the NBA playoffs lined up.

Bucks held on to even the series, which is key; I think they have a clear talent advantage over the hobbled Celtics roster, but they're definitely at a coaching deficit against Boston. Still, I'd be starting to sweat a little bit if I were the Celtics: one huge road game from Antetokoumpo and Middleton, and they're heading back to Milwaukee on the brink. If Milwaukee can advance (with Parker having played pretty well in this series), I wonder how it affects ownership's faith in the current core, along with their plans vis-à-vis retaining Parker.

The Spurs are up by five currently, with about six minutes left in the fourth; and even though it looks like they might hold on today with their LMA-&-parts roster, I'd have to think they're already very toast in the series—meaning it could be time for some hard decisions in San Antonio. I'm a big Popovich fan, but I'm afraid they're entering Derrick Rose-territory with Leonard, and I think Aldridge is hitting FA after the season.

Toronto has a chance to grab a commanding lead, before heading back to Air Canada. I'm thinking (like many) this could finally be the year the Raptors make it past the ECF, given the field in the East. On the flip side, I wonder how much longer Washington keeps trying to build around the Wall/Beal core that doesn't seem to be able to take things to another level.

And while it's never safe to right off LeBron, if the Pacers can pull out another home win tonight—in what has been, happily for me, a surprisingly contested series—I think the Cavaliers are donezo, and James starts looking at where else he might want to ring-chase and add the last ornaments to his legacy.

So no team can clinch today, but a lot of these games could swing their respective series, as well as the future of the league for the next several years. For instance: I already think the Pelicans' commanding first round means they're even less likely to bring back Cousins and his super-high USG%, given Mirotic's skill-set has complemented Davis, and his relatively lower USG% has meant more possessions for Holliday (and playoff-Rondo) to shine.

Really interesting transition or pivot moment for a lot of teams, and the league as a whole.
    Last edited by jpx7; 04-22-2018 at 04:39 PM.