Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: GDT 8/25: K For the S

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Outside of the second Ender injury our position player injuries have been blessings so far as they opened spots for hot players to help carry us for a time. When Ender hit the DL the first time he wasn't on fire like he was this last time. He was really struggling and Austin Riley came in and hit a ton for a time to help us win games. Even Markakis getting injured helped as Duvall keyed that series win in D.C. and Markakis hadn't been doing much since the All-Star break (about a .700 OPS).

That said, Ortego for Ender is a bad trade off. Ender was red hot when hurt this time and so that injury hurts. Though it hasn't hurt so much yet thanks to the Ortego grand slam game and great pitching allowing us to win low scoring games. Plus Ortega did finally contribute again Saturday against the Mets too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Neither. It’s loads and loads of testosterone
    That’s a bunch of BS (bull semen).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Yeah I don't think anyone can look at our 2nd half and not see how lucky we've been given the amount of injuries we've had.
    AA gave us the kind of depth most teams lack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    AA gave us the kind of depth most teams lack.
    I don’t hear anyone mocking “Financial Flexibility” anymore. I wonder why?

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-25-2019), Carp (08-26-2019), jpx7 (08-25-2019), The Chosen One (08-26-2019)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I said before the fish series I sensed the starters were going to go on a run of dominance. The six game sweep produced 9 runs in 39 innings pitched for a 2.09. That includes the Fried 5 in 5. And he was the one I thought would be great this week. I loved his Dodger start and thought he would build off it. But all in all the starters were terrific.

What I didn’t sense was the bullpen being even better than the starters. Man they were fantastic. 17 innings and only 1 run for a .53 era.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    that's the demographic that has gone missing from the GDTs

I wonder if our old friend clv has any new thoughts on the wisdom of the Donaldson signing
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    From what I understand, Kimbrel was basically sitting around eating Twinkie’s until he signed. It’s very telling that DK was ready to start a MLB game before Kimbrel was able to relieve one.

As a result, this is likely to be a lost year for Kimbrel as he never really got ramped up properly.

With the knowledge that CK wasn’t ready to pitch at all, I’m glad the Braves didn’t even get him for 1 year.
    *Michael Scott cringe meme*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    That striker thread needs a reboot.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    That striker thread needs a reboot.
    The one about how he failed in fixing the pitching staff in the offseason? The mid-season additions don't change the fact that it was a bad move to go into the year with Tomlin as our only added pitcher. I'll give credit to AA for making fixes on the fly but the offseason could have been better.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (08-26-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    The one about how he failed in fixing the pitching staff in the offseason? The mid-season additions don't change the fact that it was a bad move to go into the year with Tomlin as our only added pitcher. I'll give credit to AA for making fixes on the fly but the offseason could have been better.
    Which pitchers would you have signed and at what price?

You are totally aware that we have two levels of arms better than 99% of teams in MLB right?
    Ivermectin Man

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-26-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts

You are totally aware that we have two levels of arms better than 99% of teams in MLB right?
    I don't want to re-litigate this here. I'll just say the argument of "What guy could we have gotten" is one that is always unanswerable. We don't know what kind of trades were out there, how guys would have performed here, etc.

In the end if we maintain our lead, win the division, and AA doesn't consistently swing and miss in fixing needs in the future, we can write off the pitching inaction last offseason as a fluke.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

lol. same story every single time.
    so many of the RPs signed this offseason have turned out terribly. AA knew that happens a lot, so stayed out of it. not only logical to back away, but very wise. the team was good enough to hold up (more than good enough, as it turns out) until AA could assess mid-season what needed to be done. he addressed it, and it's worked out beautifully.

if striker had his way, AA would likely be sitting on a couple of bad 2+ (2 years at best) year RP contracts.
    of course, i've yet to see the answer to the question: who would you have signed?
    and of course, he now has the benefit of hindsight. pick the couple of good contracts out of the sea of now-terrible contracts and look like a genius. unfortunately it doesn't work like that, AA very clearly made the right call, but i guess it's hard to admit for some.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I don't want to re-litigate this here. I'll just say the argument of "What guy could we have gotten" is one that is always unanswerable. We don't know what kind of trades were out there, how guys would have performed here, etc.

In the end if we maintain our lead, win the division, and AA doesn't consistently swing and miss in fixing needs in the future, we can write off the pitching inaction last offseason as a fluke.
    i've never seen you once answer who you would've signed or tried to trade for.
    staying out of the RP FAs was far and away clearly the right move. it's not up for debate, unless one wants to further dig in on being wrong.
    AA didn't get lucky it worked out. it was calculated and intentional.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

Not really. Very few have worked out favorably, and even less with favorable terms. We actually have hindsight to determine the correct course, and it says AA did fine.

We had a plethora of options in house, and good arms returning.

This argument is total nonsense...
    Ivermectin Man

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (08-26-2019), jpx7 (08-26-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Not really. Very few have worked out favorably, and even less with favorable terms. We actually have hindsight to determine the correct course, and it says AA did fine.

We had a plethora of options in house, and good arms returning.

This argument is total nonsense...
    There were a yuge number of relief pitching contenders in spring training: Viz, O'Day, Freeman, Biddle, Venters, Sobotka, Dayton, Minter, etc etc etc. AA's plan was to sift through that group and add at mid-season as necessary. That's what you do with relievers. The basic plan was a sound one. There was no strategic failure.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    I would have gone after Ottavino, but AA knows RP's are violatle and very very risky.

I dont really blame him for not signing any of the big name BP pitchers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i've never seen you once answer who you would've signed or tried to trade for.
    staying out of the RP FAs was far and away clearly the right move. it's not up for debate, unless one wants to further dig in on being wrong.
    AA didn't get lucky it worked out. it was calculated and intentional.
    Staying out of FA RPs is often the right move. But again, we have no idea who was on the trade market and what the prices were. It makes answering the question of "who should we have gone after" completely impossible. I could come up with a list of relievers and the response would be "There's nothing showing that guy was available." It's a pointless exercise.

Since we don't have eyes on that, all we can do is look at results over time and see how AA does addressing needs over the course of several offseasons.

AA failed to improve the pitching staff last offseason. That's not in doubt. Whether it was his fault or just the way the market worked out is a different question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Staying out of FA RPs is often the right move. But again, we have no idea who was on the trade market and what the prices were. It makes answering the question of "who should we have gone after" completely impossible. I could come up with a list of relievers and the response would be "There's nothing showing that guy was available." It's a pointless exercise.

Since we don't have eyes on that, all we can do is look at results over time and see how AA does addressing needs over the course of several offseasons.

AA failed to improve the pitching staff last offseason. That's not in doubt. Whether it was his fault or just the way the market worked out is a different question.
    There isn't direct evidence he needed to. He was in on Paxton, Diaz etc...

He didn't overpay.

Natural improvement from the staff would have had us in fine shape. It didn't materialize that way, and we signed Big D Keuchel. There you go. With your desired outcome we might now have been able to sign him or add Melancon.

You are being overly obtuse here.
    Ivermectin Man

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I'm more interested to revisit the theory that AA is a yes man trying to pad the wallets of the Liberty execs.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-26-2019), Tapate50 (08-26-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I'm more interested to revisit the theory that AA is a yes man trying to pad the wallets of the Liberty execs.
    Word is the Braves have actually gone over their initial budget on payroll which is shocking to me. I'd be interested to know what his paymasters think.