Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Braves Sign Jim Johnson To MLB Contract

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    You could see it in his eyes. He looked terrified most of the time.
    Well, we need to hire an on field Optometrists and this problem is solved.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Well, we need to hire an on field Optometrists and this problem is solved.
    He'd probably pitch better blind than he did last year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    There goes half the money we cleared from Walden.

Half the pitcher too
    Walden wasn't about just clearing money. He also was a key component to acquiring Miller/Jenkins. And Jenkins is one of our 2 best pitching prospects now. And 1.6 million for a one year deal is hardly relevant.

Not saying it's a good signing. To me its rather meh. But let's not throw tantrums for giving 1.6 million to a middle reliever.
    Last edited by Carp; 12-03-2014 at 03:30 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Like the Lester rumors, it does seem oddly the opposite of "budget conscious."
    1.6 million for 1 yr is hardly wreckless spending. We needed relief help for this coming season. Even if you think we could have gotten him for league minimum, it's a difference of like 1 million.

Not a great sign at first glance. But not really relevant to our plan to rebuild. If he has a great 1st half, may be we can spin him for a spect or two.
    Last edited by Carp; 12-03-2014 at 03:29 PM.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Walden wasn't about just clearing money. He also was a key component to acquiring Miller/Jenkins. And Jenkins is one of our 2 best pitching prospects now. And 1.6 million for a one year deal is hardly relevant.

Not saying it's a good signing. To me its rather meh. But let's not throw tantrums for giving 1.6 million to a middle reliever.
    I'm not sure my post constitutes "throwing a tantrum"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-03-2014)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post

At that price, at this time, in the context of this offseason, it's a fair move to question, if not outright criticize—but doing either is hardly tantamount to "throw[ing] tantrums".
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-03-2014), Dalyn (12-03-2014)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    It does seem like an odd move, but since we traded away Walden I could see the desire to have another vet back there that's worked the late innings. I really like guys like Simmons, Shreve, Vizcaino, and Hale but that's a young pen. This also allows us to include Carpenter in a trade if we see fit, which I think we will do.

One thing I'm trying to keep in mind is we brought in an entirely new staff. These are all guys who play the "If I were GM" game in their heads and they are going to have some recommendations on guys based on previous knowledge.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Since Johnson is guaranteed a 25-man roster spot no matter what happens or how he pitches , then this signing is a complete travesty. Also, it seems like in MLB the last few years, $1 million plus change is what you typically spend on any big leaguer you want to "take a gamble on". He's simply bullpen fodder that may or may not do well this year.

We are experts at automatically expecting the worst for the team and not even waiting until the games start.

(PS: the first sentence is sracastic; notice the eyes?)
    The 70s & 80s were worse...

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Are people really up in arms over a signing like this? It's for a tiny fraction of the projected budget and can be worth a sliver more if he hits certain clauses in the deal. Meaning he is probably pitching well. Besides its not like he automatically takes over Walden's spot. Back off the ledge, folks.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Nice move; he should be a key contributor in 2017.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (12-03-2014), jpx7 (12-03-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Are people really up in arms over a signing like this? It's for a tiny fraction of the projected budget and can be worth a sliver more if he hits certain clauses in the deal. Meaning he is probably pitching well. Besides its not like he automatically takes over Walden's spot. Back off the ledge, folks.
    Seriously. I think it's actually a pretty nice little deal. But, everyone is still trying to kill themselves because our savior, Jason Heyward, is gone. I miss the heck out of the dude, but it is what it is. Let's make some needed moves and move on.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Umm why not just keep Walden?

Maybe Roger can work his magic but not a ton of money or mine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    We've found our ground ball inducing ROOGY for 2015. Hopefully Fredi will understand how to use him.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Have to wait for the monetary terms before making any judgments, to be sure.

I kind of hated when we signed Antonio Alfonseca, and he ended up being pretty good for us, not to mention a hell of a lot of fun.
    But Antonio had six fingers. The novelty effect alone was worth it.

$1.6 MM is hardly anything when you consider that the Braves gave Tanyon $750,000 to not pitch an inning back in 2007.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 12-03-2014 at 06:31 PM.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Hopefully Fredi will understand how to use him.
    thanks for the laugh
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-04-2014), yeezus (12-04-2014)

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Just want give my two cents (for what it's worth) on this signing (And I apologize if I repeat what anyone else has said, I didn't read any of the previous responses)...

First off let me say that I realize Jim Johnson had a terrible 2014 season but I would have to imagine that last year was just a "fluke" or a somewhat rare bad season and after he gets with Roger McDowell that we can expect numbers closer to his career average and even similar to his 2011-2013 seasons. I really like this signing and for multiple reasons which I will explain below:

1.) If the Braves remain competitive -competing for a WC spot- then Jim Johnson brings a couple things to the table that could be very beneficial to our team. First and foremost, Johnson -except this past season- has been a very solid relief pitcher who is capable of pitching at the back end of our bullpen. One thing that Johnson has going for him that most other relief pitchers don't have -I'm referring to free agents that will be in a similar price range- is closing experience. Coming of back-to-back 50+ save years in 2012-2013, Johnson will gives us someone else besides Kimbrel with closing experience and that could prove beneficial if Kimbrel is unavailable in a certain game (say he's gone 3 days in a row) and a save opportunity arises. Johnson also has a 57.8% career ground ball rate and never had a season below 51%. This is something we have severely lacked in the past few years -since Moylan really and Gearrin to an extent- and could be someone we call on to get us out of a jam by inducing a ground ball which in turn would lead to a double play.

2.) If the Braves fall out of contention around the trade deadline and Johnson has shown that last year was a fluke and he's producing closer to his career average numbers, he is someone you can market to clubs in need of a closer and possibly get a decent prospect in return.

3.) Let's say Roger McDowell isn't able to fix whatever mechanical flaw he has that made him go from All-Star closer to DFA'ed in one year, well you then simply part ways with him and all it cost you was $1.6 million -half of what Walden will make-. Now I'm not saying that $1.6 million is not a lot of money but I do believe it is a gamble worth taking because of the reward that you could possibly get.

So in the end, since I think our pitching guru Roger McDowell will get Johnson back closer to his 2012-2013 years, I truly believe this is a smart signing. We either get another back end bullpen arm to bridge the gap to Kimbrel while also inducing some DP balls or we get a tradable asset capable of netting us a prospect or two.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

21. The Following User Says Thank You to blueagleace1 For This Useful Post:

Chico (12-04-2014)