Page 934 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 4348348849249329339349359369449841034 ... LastLast
Results 18,661 to 18,680 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Scott Jennings’ PR firm played big role in Phillips-Sandmann spin http://bit.ly/2FHUVd6
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Please help me understand what aspects were inappropriate.

Alsox i believe most of this representation was volunteere after it was clear fake news. Conservatives are outraged like never before.
    Dancing and chanting in the NA guy’s face and doing the Tomahawk Chop was inappropriate and arguably confrontational. You really disagree with that? The one kid who stood in his face smirking while his friends yelled encouragement was clearly not “confused” or trying to “defuse the situation.” I can’t speak to what his/their motives were, but those actions do not jibe with the PR spin that emerged afterwards. I basically agree with mqt, and the fact that some folks have to insist that these kids were somehow victims in the moment is just silly.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Hmm. I wonder if there’s any correlation between the sparse attendance at the WM and peoples discomfort with the allegations of anti-Semitism involving some of the leadership. If there had been 100,000 people there, I’m sure you would have been hollering about how the life-support so anti-Semites. The fact that there were fewer is somehow also a line of attack? Seems like you need to choose one or the other.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Dancing and chanting in the NA guy’s face and doing the Tomahawk Chop was inappropriate and arguably confrontational. You really disagree with that? The one kid who stood in his face smirking while his friends yelled encouragement was clearly not “confused” or trying to “defuse the situation.” I can’t speak to what his/their motives were, but those actions do not jibe with the PR spin that emerged afterwards. I basically agree with mqt, and the fact that some folks have to insist that these kids were somehow victims in the moment is just silly.
    The tomahawk chop was a bad look (funny that I’m typing this on an Atlanta Braves forum), but most were not doing it. The chanting started before Phillips entered the situation to drown out the vile, racist insults coming from the BHI (Why the kids are being held to a higher standard than these adults is beyond me). You say the smirking kid was “clearly” confrontational. I don’t know what’s clear about it, but there’s also a moment in the video where he makes a gesture to one of the other boys arguing with another one of the natives to cut it out. What’s clearly confrontational is someone inserting himself in the situation by walking up to another person and chanting and banging a drum in his face. Phillips himself admits it’s confrontational (Post #18622)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Hmm. I wonder if there’s any correlation between the sparse attendance at the WM and peoples discomfort with the allegations of anti-Semitism involving some of the leadership. If there had been 100,000 people there, I’m sure you would have been hollering about how the life-support so anti-Semites. The fact that there were fewer is somehow also a line of attack? Seems like you need to choose one or the other.
    I'm thrilled that there is a denouncing of the Womans March now.

That is what needed to happen but it should have happened 3 years ago when it was clear what was invading. Anything with Malloray and Sarsour should have been snuffed out from the very beginning. The fact that AOC still went is a real bad sign.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    As Aces noted below the chanting was happening from before.

Nathan Phillips has a history and I encourage you reading it. They were filming behind him for a reason. This is not hard to snuff out. The confrontation was planning and a desired outcome was planned from the beginning. It was a setup and thankfully social media is now starting to snuff this BS out.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    correct yourself.

Mitch McConnell's PR firm is snuffing "this BS out"
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    The tomahawk chop was a bad look (funny that I’m typing this on an Atlanta Braves forum), but most were not doing it. The chanting started before Phillips entered the situation to drown out the vile, racist insults coming from the BHI (Why the kids are being held to a higher standard than these adults is beyond me). You say the smirking kid was “clearly” confrontational. I don’t know what’s clear about it, but there’s also a moment in the video where he makes a gesture to one of the other boys arguing with another one of the natives to cut it out. What’s clearly confrontational is someone inserting himself in the situation by walking up to another person and chanting and banging a drum in his face. Phillips himself admits it’s confrontational (Post #18622)
    the Hebrew Israelites are truly a lost tribe...and I don't think there is any argument that they were the worst actors in the whole situation...i would also hope that we can hold everyone (including teenagers) to a higher standard than the one established by the Hebrew Israelites...to acknowledge that the Hebrew Israelites are awful does not absolve anyone else of responsibility for bad behavior...many of the kids (probably most) were mocking and disrespecting Phillips in various ways

in one of my earlier posts i expressed the hope that they would reflect on their behavior and try to learn from it...sincere reflection can only take place on a voluntary basis...it can't be compelled (though I hope the adults in their lives can exert a positive influence)...that's really all that needs to come out of this on the part of the kids...some reflection

i see the school has hired an outside investigator...the focus there should probably be on the chaperones and perhaps more widely on school culture...
    Last edited by nsacpi; 01-22-2019 at 11:36 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Everyone needs to go watch Kurosawa's Rashomon. Each set of witnesses is going to have a different impression of what was happening. It bothers me that the kids were being hassled by adults, but where were the parents of the kids to intervene and try to restore order? Further, I was reading the Twitter feed from a Jesuit priest the other day who is in full support of the March for Life but is decrying the fact that it has become more a political event instead of one based on a moral question. Why some of these kids were wearing MAGA hats is a bit beyond me. I'm not saying they can't wear them, but it seems that if the March for Life is a solemn occasion decrying the sad reality of abortion in America, why would anyone want to basically paint a target on themselves. Like Melania says, "Be better."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I believe the Hebrew Israelites are pro-life. A missed opportunity to build a bridge!

"I am your retribution."

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Per CNN, Twitter suspended the account that started all this nonsense

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Everyone needs to go watch Kurosawa's Rashomon. Each set of witnesses is going to have a different impression of what was happening. It bothers me that the kids were being hassled by adults, but where were the parents of the kids to intervene and try to restore order? Further, I was reading the Twitter feed from a Jesuit priest the other day who is in full support of the March for Life but is decrying the fact that it has become more a political event instead of one based on a moral question. Why some of these kids were wearing MAGA hats is a bit beyond me. I'm not saying they can't wear them, but it seems that if the March for Life is a solemn occasion decrying the sad reality of abortion in America, why would anyone want to basically paint a target on themselves. Like Melania says, "Be better."
    I'm sorry 50 but the comment on the MAGA hats are crazy. Part of MAGA is a return to when society valued life. It meant something to Conservatives so its very fitting that MAGA hats would be worn during that event.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    the Hebrew Israelites are truly a lost tribe...and I don't think there is any argument that they were the worst actors in the whole situation...i would also hope that we can hold everyone (including teenagers) to a higher standard than the one established by the Hebrew Israelites...to acknowledge that the Hebrew Israelites are awful does not absolve anyone else of responsibility for bad behavior...many of the kids (probably most) were mocking and disrespecting Phillips in various ways

in one of my earlier posts i expressed the hope that they would reflect on their behavior and try to learn from it...sincere reflection can only take place on a voluntary basis...it can't be compelled (though I hope the adults in their lives can exert a positive influence)...that's really all that needs to come out of this on the part of the kids...some reflection

i see the school has hired an outside investigator...the focus there should probably be on the chaperones and perhaps more widely on school culture...
    And also Nathan Phillips motives in this whole process. Now that we may find out he purposefully misrepresented himself (service time) as well as the events the took place we are starting to see a more clear picture on the type of person he may be.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    Per CNN, Twitter suspended the account that started all this nonsense
    I think there is a lesson there about who we re-tweet and which tweets we disseminate on these boards and elsewhere. Quite a few of my fellow posters around here need to absorb this lesson. Exercise some care folks. Do some vetting and fact checking.

"I am your retribution."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (01-22-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    And also Nathan Phillips motives in this whole process. Now that we may find out he purposefully misrepresented himself (service time) as well as the events the took place we are starting to see a more clear picture on the type of person he may be.
    see my post about fact checking and vetting...if you have anything solid on Phillips from a reliable source I'd be interested...as things currently stand i'm not inclined to credit you with much credibility...you post a lot of crap that is shockingly wrong and I'm pretty sure you know it is wrong when you post it...but there is always a chance to rebuild your rep...never too late to start

hint: stay away from gateway pundit
    Last edited by nsacpi; 01-22-2019 at 12:15 PM.

"I am your retribution."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I'm sorry 50 but the comment on the MAGA hats are crazy. Part of MAGA is a return to when society valued life. It meant something to Conservatives so its very fitting that MAGA hats would be worn during that event.
    Well, I guess civility is just plain crazy, so lock me up. America is great. All this making it great "again" is simply rubbish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    see my post about fact checking and vetting...if you have anything solid on Phillips from a reliable source I'd be interested...as things currently stand i'm not inclined to credit you with much credibility...you post a lot of crap that is shockingly wrong and I'm pretty sure you know it is wrong when you post it...but there is always a chance to rebuild your rep...never too late to start

hint: stay away from gateway pundit
    His previous incident reported is documented when he filed a claim of racism.

His original account given to CNN has been proven demonstrably wrong.

I have no clue if they verified his vietnam service but the timeline he gave raises serious questions.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Well, I guess civility is just plain crazy, so lock me up. America is great. All this making it great "again" is simply rubbish.
    So incivility = MAGA hats?

Is that the argument you are making?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    So incivility = MAGA hats?

Is that the argument you are making?
    There is an appropriate time and place for every form of expression and that includes wearing overtly political material to what should not be a political rally. I'm not saying the kids can't wear the hats. I'm just saying it probably wasn't an appropriate venue for the display. Let's start facing facts--and the left needs to learn this as well--there are certain signs and symbols that are going to be easily construed as attempts to provoke opponents instead of making a valid policy point. I'm not saying that's the case here, but I can't understand why the adults with the kids from Covington didn't take them aside and say "The hats probably aren't going to be a good idea here." What if a bunch of folks showed up with "Nazis for Life" posters complete with swashtikas? Hey, first amendment and all, but do you think it would have been appropriate? With freedom comes responsibility. That is all I am saying. Both sides need to start heeding that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    There is an appropriate time and place for every form of expression and that includes wearing overtly political material to what should not be a political rally. I'm not saying the kids can't wear the hats. I'm just saying it probably wasn't an appropriate venue for the display. Let's start facing facts--and the left needs to learn this as well--there are certain signs and symbols that are going to be easily construed as attempts to provoke opponents instead of making a valid policy point. I'm not saying that's the case here, but I can't understand why the adults with the kids from Covington didn't take them aside and say "The hats probably aren't going to be a good idea here." What if a bunch of folks showed up with "Nazis for Life" posters complete with swashtikas? Hey, first amendment and all, but do you think it would have been appropriate? With freedom comes responsibility. That is all I am saying. Both sides need to start heeding that.
    I just don't agree with this mentality. Its a direct impairment of our first amendment rights. And I know you were using the 'Nazi' reference as an extreme to make a point but if that is how others view it then that is on them and not on the person wearing the MAGA hat. The root of the issue is that the media has whipped up a frenzy with the nation where a significant portion of the population thinks MAGA = NAZI. I mean for effs sake a US Congressman stated we need to ban MAGA (Yeah Yeah - He claimed it was a joke). If MAGA incites that feeling with someone then that is their fault.
    Natural Immunity Croc