Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Bravos acquire C-Doumit from Twins for Gilmartin.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skidlee View Post
    I think people are giving Gilmartin to much credit. No "expert" see him as anything special and yes I would have rather traded a RP like Lamm or Gerrian for Doumit, losing Gilmartin isn't the end of the world.

He was our 4th best prospect because our farm system was/is week. Very week.

So what is Gilmartin worth to those who think we sold low on him?
    Price or Sale apparently.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    I guess so.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Price or Sale apparently.
    Gilmartin would have netted us both Sale and Price. Tampa and Chicago would have received him and he would alternate starts for those teams.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NinersSBChamps For This Useful Post:

ChapelHillMatt (12-19-2013), gamecock4braves (12-18-2013), Heyward (12-18-2013), jpx7 (12-18-2013), The Chosen One (12-18-2013)

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    I give the trade an A as far as getting a versatile, switch hitting bench piece that will greatly strengthen our bench, an area of need, while losing someone that most likely was not going to contribute any this year in Atlanta if ever. I give it a C or D in terms of getting fair value for Gilmartin. Overall I'd give the trade a B.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

What's obvious to me

Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    If they trade Gattis I can only assume a Laird/Doumit platoon or they go with Bethancourt out the gate. Gattis has more value because he's already got a full season under his belt with plenty of homeruns. Bethancourt is still a prospect.
    This moves means CB will be the everyday catcher in Gwinnett. The more obvious is that it frees some of the best pinch-hitters available will be used.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Gilmartin would have netted us both Sale and Price. Tampa and Chicago would have received him and he would alternate starts for those teams.
    This is what happens when you hear the term "Sale price" without paying attention to context.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (12-19-2013)

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    This moves means CB will be the everyday catcher in Gwinnett. The more obvious is that it frees some of the best pinch-hitters available will be used.
    He was always going to be the everyday catcher in Gwinnett.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think it is fair to bring up Morton and Locke. Some of the prospects further downs the lists do pan out. But you have to also remember the others who didn't make it. The Bubba Nelsons and Jung Bongs and Anthony Lerews. Once you get to prospects ranked about where Gilmartin currently is, the average value they go on to generate is pretty low.
    Assume that *most* of the members here are familiar with the names. Even if you don't intend it that way, it comes off as somewhat patronizing. Anyway, Gilmartin still has upside in that he's a LH starter and is young. No reason to write him off, just yet. Oh, and the Braves wil continue to furnish pitching for other teams. That's part of the strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I have never thought much of Gilmartin. So what I said had nothing to do with "overreaction" but was in line with my opinion of him all along. Just ask nsacpi, I expect that he will remember that I've never been high on Gilmartin.
    OK, fair enough. However, if he has more than a cup of coffee, at the big league level, then we should expect to hear back from you. It's worth reserving judgment, but, hopefully, this was only about vanity - "look how right I was all along!"

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRule View Post
    Doumit is coming off a 710 OPS season and has multiple concussion issues. He's also horrible defensively....

He was a .1 WAR player last year
    You are actually being kind. Can't really catch, but does it better than playing the OF. Switch-hitter who generally hits better LH (although his 2013 splits went the other direction). Good guy to have on the bench.

PS--Twins had some luck with Diamond and Gilmartin is almost a carbon copy of Diamond, so the Twins' brass might see something there they like. Gilmartin just doesn't miss many bats, but the Twins have had some success with similar pitchers.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 12-18-2013 at 09:21 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-18-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    LOL at taking Gilmartin over Vargas.
    LOL at the Braves "furnishing pitching" for other teams. Excluding studs like Wainwright, who has been sorely missed that we ditched? You named two guys in Locke and Morton. There is a crap ton of other guys that we had, just like Gilmartin, who never turned in to anything. Chances are, Gilmartin turns in to a long man. If Gilmartin were a 10th rounder, no one would be saying a word. Yes, we made a mistake on that pick. The franchise is admitting that, and moving on. It's over with at this point. His upside is very limited. What are people so upset about? He's not worth any more than Doumit. He's like a 250 or lower prospect. Teams aren't clamoring for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Doumit could be a really good bench piece. Gilmartin was likely never going to contribute at the ML level.
    What will you people say is Gilmartin has another poor season, and Doumit hits well off our bench*?

*as in, he's not a starter, he's a bench player. his defensive skills are not that important.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skidlee View Post
    He was our 4th best prospect because our farm system was/is week. Very week.
    He wasn't really our 4th best prospect, not even when he had that rating IMO. BA had him at number 10, while Sickels and others barely in the top 15 or out of it. Also, I disagree with you calling our farm system very weak. Though it is weaker than before thanks to so many recent graduations to the Majors.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krovahn View Post
    I'd honestly switch out Schafer for Terdo if I were making the bench right now. Yeah, Schafer has speed and can play CF, but, Terdo can play IF and OF and we would have Heyward and BJ to both play center if the other gets injured in a game, and could call up Schafer or Constanza afterwards. So basically, I'd go:

Laird C
    Doumit C/LF/RF
    Pena SS/2B/3B
    Gamel 1B/3B
    Terdoslavich IF/OF

Not as much speed with Schafer not on the bench, but, a lot of PH/defensive replacement flexibility. With how our team is built, I think that is more important than speed.
    I think Schafer probably takes Terdoslavich's spot in your scenario. Terdoslavich is pretty much a Doumit clone and not as good with the bat (at least right now).

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-18-2013), yeezus (12-18-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think Schafer probably takes Terdoslavich's spot in your scenario. Terdoslavich is pretty much a Doumit clone and not as good with the bat (at least right now).
    Plus they likely want Joey T getting regular AB's and outfield reps, so that could also put him back in AAA.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

yeezus (12-18-2013)

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    A .710 ops is a good bat now?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Perfect Cell For This Useful Post:

BRule (12-20-2013)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    LOL at taking Gilmartin over Vargas.
    LOL at the Braves "furnishing pitching" for other teams. Excluding studs like Wainwright, who has been sorely missed that we ditched? You named two guys in Locke and Morton. There is a crap ton of other guys that we had, just like Gilmartin, who never turned in to anything. Chances are, Gilmartin turns in to a long man. If Gilmartin were a 10th rounder, no one would be saying a word. Yes, we made a mistake on that pick. The franchise is admitting that, and moving on. It's over with at this point. His upside is very limited. What are people so upset about? He's not worth any more than Doumit. He's like a 250 or lower prospect. Teams aren't clamoring for him.
    LOL What are you? 15 years old?

Think of Harrison and Felix. We could go through rosters, and see how many have been in the Braves system, compared with other clubs. They stockpile young pitching, knowing that some will not make it. Some will remain with the club. Some will be used as trade pieces. It's not a difficult concept to grasp. Do they not teach this on those geekball websites and blogs?

Just so you know, nothing was said about "studs." Not good form to go past what other members are actually posting. Clear symptom of ADHD though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post

Think of Harrison and Felix. We could go through rosters, and see how many have been in the Braves system, compared with other clubs. They stockpile young pitching, knowing that some will not make it. Some will remain with the club. Some will be used as trade pieces. It's not a difficult concept to grasp. Do they not teach this on those geekball websites and blogs?

Just so you know, nothing was said about "studs." Not good form to go past what other members are actually posting. Clear symptom of ADHD though.
    14, thanks.
    I don't read any "geekball" sites and I read zero blogs. Not good form to go past blah blah blah.
    The thing is, the Braves still have a ton of young pitching stockpiled. It's not like trading just Gilmartin depleted them. There is still a lot.
    I referenced studs (and didn't say anyone else did) because guys like Gilmartin are always around. We've had countless guys with his ability and ceiling never pan out. Guys ranked as low as he is rarely hit their ceiling (prospects in general rarely hit their ceilings), but guys like Gilmartin frequently flame out and never contribute. We needed a bench bat, and Doumit could be a pretty darn good one.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post

Feliz is a RP, and Harrison isnt much better over what we have right now.

Who didnt pitch much last year due to shoulder injuries.

So yeah, Wainwright is pretty much the only P we've given away that has hurt us all that much.
    Last edited by Heyward; 12-18-2013 at 10:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Cell View Post
    A .710 ops is a good bat now?
    He could be a really good bench piece. He will not play 135 games and have almost 500 ABs. If he does, that means someone got hurt.
    Decent power from both sides of the plate, had two really solid seasons before last year. Had a .743 OPS in the 2nd half last year. Great player? By no means. Potential to be a very good BENCH bat? Sure. He could be very valuable there. Gilmartin could never contribute to this team. Doumit definitely will.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Feliz is a RP, and Harrison isnt much better over what we have right now.

Who didnt pitch much last year due to shoulder injuries.
    Harrison was also a top 100 prospect, as was Feliz. They had higher upsides, by all accounts. Gilmartin isn't even a top 200 guy. Probably not top 250, and likely on the lower end.