Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Projected 25-man roster

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts

2014 Projected 25-man roster

Assuming that today's move is the last by Frank Wren, which it very could be I thought I'd take a crack at predicting the Opening Day 25-man roster. Key here is Opening Day, so you will see no Gavin Floyd, Jonny Venters or if he's re-signed Eric O'Flaherty on this roster. I'd like everyone else's thoughts.

Pitchers(12)
    Kris Medlen
    Mike Minor
    Julio Teheran
    Brandon Beachy
    Alex Wood
    Craig Kimbrel
    David Carpenter
    Luis Avilan
    Jordan Walden
    Anthony Varvaro
    Luis Vasquez
    David Hale

Catchers(3)
    Evan Gattis
    Gerald Laird
    Ryan Doumit

Infielders(6)
    Freddie Freeman
    Dan Uggla
    Andrelton Simmons
    Chris Johnson
    Ramiro Pena
    Mat Gamel

Outfielders(4)
    Jason Heyward
    BJ Upton
    Justin Upton
    Jordan Schafer

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvsportscaster For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (12-19-2013), JohnAdcox (12-19-2013)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Looks about right, i think Terdo could make it over Gamel.

But if Gamel is healthy, he could make it, guy can hit.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    I think you've got one too many pitchers and need one more bench poisition player. Either Terdo or Pastornicky.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    I think we'll try to fit in a second lefty for the pen so that Avilan doesn't get overworked during the first two months. Buchter probably has the inside track at this point.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think we'll try to fit in a second lefty for the pen so that Avilan doesn't get overworked during the first two months. Buchter probably has the inside track at this point.
    There was talk of bringing O'Flaherty back....though I guess he'd be on the same timetable as Venters, right?

I really like the idea of loading up on tough lefty relievers. Not only does it make us stronger during the season, it's a difference maker in October.
    Last edited by GovClintonTyree; 12-19-2013 at 09:19 AM.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    And the guy who goes is Hale. He needs to start.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Frank is treading into the season with a high risk roster. I certainly don't feel comfortable with Gattis, Uggla, Johnson, and BeeJ all in the lineup again. Of course, they could improve on last year (BJ the most obvious choice), but there is also a great chance Uggla hits like he did last year and Johnson falls off. There are essentially 3 hitters in the lineup that you know will hit; Freeman, Upton, Heyward; the rest are risky to rely on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    There was talk of bringing O'Flaherty back....though I guess he'd be on the same timetable as Venters, right?

I really like the idea of loading up on tough lefty relievers. Not only does it make us stronger during the season, it's a difference maker in October.
    Yeah, they both had TJ in May.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Frank is treading into the season with a high risk roster. I certainly don't feel comfortable with Gattis, Uggla, Johnson, and BeeJ all in the lineup again. Of course, they could improve on last year (BJ the most obvious choice), but there is also a great chance Uggla hits like he did last year and Johnson falls off. There are essentially 3 hitters in the lineup that you know will hit; Freeman, Upton, Heyward; the rest are risky to rely on.
    Everyone is risky. Some more than others. The rebound candidates are BJ and Uggla. Johnson is the main regression candidate.

I think we'll come up a little short of the 96 wins we had last year. My prediction is 93 wins.

The area we are most likely to suffer some regression is the pen. It has been terrific the last few years, which has led a lot of people to think we can keep doing it every year. But I don't think our overall bullpen talent outside of Kimbrel is that great. At some point, Lady Luck will turn her back on the pen.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 12-19-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Still too early. Might be more moves on the way. Rarely are Opening Day rosters set before Christmas.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    I think Wren adds another BP arm before the offseason is over. There are so many closers and setup men out there right now that a couple of them should be available for half price in late January. Hopefully Wren has saved a little cash to snatch up a FA bargain that falls in his lap.

I also don't see the team leaving ST with only one LHer in the BP. This is why the Floyd signing was so pointless in my opinion. If the 3 LHers in the BP are going to eventually be Avilan, EOF and Venters, then having Wood start the year in the BP as the 2nd LHer would have worked perfectly. When/if Venters and EOF are ready Wood could have gone down to AAA to get stretched out and be ready to help the MLB team as needed. Now that the FA starter won't be ready until months into the season, Wood must start the season in the rotation and Wren must scramble to find at least one more LHer to spend time in the BP for a couple months, and that guy will most likely be marginal at best.

I think Pastor has just as good a shot to be the 25th man as Gamel does. I have to imagine a Pastor/Pena platoon will be the default fallback option at 2B as soon as Uggla proves he can no longer hit. At that point Uggla may be released and Gamel/Pastor called up from AAA.

The rest of the roster is pretty obvious, and has been since the beginning of last season.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-19-2013 at 11:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I have doubts that Wren is done. With so much of the FA pitching market dependent on Tanaka and the FA OFers waiting for deals (Cruz and Choo in particular)
    and Bowmans article about both Chicago teams starting discussions for Sale and JS centered on JUp or Heyward the getting Doumit for no real apparent reason makes me wonder if Bethancourt and one of the current OFers might not be in play if Sale, Price or JS is truly available.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Yea we'll definitely add a 2nd lefty. I don't see anyway Hale is in the bullpen as a long man. Not saying he wouldn't be good in that role but he's next in line after Wood for the 5th spot. He'll be starting in Gwinett to stay ready.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I think Wren adds another BP arm before the offseason is over. There are so many closers and setup men out there right now that a couple of them should be available for half price in late January. Hopefully Wren has saved a little cash to snatch up a FA bargain that falls in his lap.

I also don't see the team leaving ST with only one LHer in the BP. This is why the Floyd signing was so pointless in my opinion. If the 3 LHers in the BP are going to eventually be Avilan, EOF and Venters, then having Wood start the year in the BP as the 2nd LHer would have worked perfectly. When/if Venters and EOF are ready Wood could have gone down to AAA to get stretched out and be ready to help the MLB team as needed. Now that the FA starter won't be ready until months into the season, Wood must start the season in the rotation and Wren must scramble to find at least one more LHer to spend time in the BP for a couple months, and that guy will most likely be marginal at best.

I think Pastor has just as good a shot to be the 25th man as Gamel does. I have to imagine a Pastor/Pena platoon will be the default fallback option at 2B as soon as Uggla proves he can no longer hit. At that point Uggla may be released and Gamel/Pastor called up from AAA.

The rest of the roster is pretty obvious, and has been since the beginning of last season.
    I'm curious what the reports are of how Pastornicky looked in CF last year. I know we had him make a few appearances there in AAA. If he can show that he can at least handle the position occasionally, it would make sense to have him on the team over Schafer. TP could play 3B/SS/2B/ and occasionally CF if needed but Heyward would be the main backup there.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stpeteirish View Post
    I think you've got one too many pitchers and need one more bench poisition player. Either Terdo or Pastornicky.
    Not really, it's usually 12/13 either way.

I do think we need to carry a 2nd lefty in the pen though even if we re-sign EOF.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    I have doubts that Wren is done. With so much of the FA pitching market dependent on Tanaka and the FA OFers waiting for deals (Cruz and Choo in particular)
    and Bowmans article about both Chicago teams starting discussions for Sale and JS centered on JUp or Heyward the getting Doumit for no real apparent reason makes me wonder if Bethancourt and one of the current OFers might not be in play if Sale, Price or JS is truly available.
    It makes sense to trade Heyward since he wont sign, but i dont see Wren doing it.

Maybe next year though.

Also dont see them trading CB since Gattis could easily flop and at worst you have an elite defensive catcher.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tvsportscaster View Post
    Assuming that today's move is the last by Frank Wren, which it very could be I thought I'd take a crack at predicting the Opening Day 25-man roster. Key here is Opening Day, so you will see no Gavin Floyd, Jonny Venters or if he's re-signed Eric O'Flaherty on this roster. I'd like everyone else's thoughts.

Pitchers(12)
    Kris Medlen
    Mike Minor
    Julio Teheran
    Brandon Beachy
    Alex Wood
    Craig Kimbrel
    David Carpenter
    Luis Avilan
    Jordan Walden
    Anthony Varvaro
    Luis Vasquez
    David Hale

Catchers(3)
    Evan Gattis
    Gerald Laird
    Ryan Doumit

Infielders(6)
    Freddie Freeman
    Dan Uggla
    Andrelton Simmons
    Chris Johnson
    Ramiro Pena
    Mat Gamel

Outfielders(4)
    Jason Heyward
    BJ Upton
    Justin Upton
    Jordan Schafer
    Swap out Hale, Varvaro, or Vasquez and insert a LHP and probably someone other than Gamel (unless Gamel proves he can play an adequate 3B) on the bench. Other than that, I think you've got it nailed as things stand now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    It makes sense to trade Heyward since he wont sign, but i dont see Wren doing it.

Maybe next year though.

Also dont see them trading CB since Gattis could easily flop and at worst you have an elite defensive catcher.
    Neither of Heyward or Upton will be with Atlanta in 2017 when the new stadium opens. Dont think for one moment that doesnt enter into what Wren does or does not do. Re: Heyward, Tons of talent, no doubt, but just hasnt proven it yet IMO. Upton is pretty much a ho hum guy. Power is a positive. You do know that Gattis played more games in LF than he caught last year. Doumit played more OF as well.

A purely defensive catcher (or any other position player) is harder to hide in the NL than he would be in the AL.

If CWS came along and offered Sale for Upton, CB, Wood and another prospect I would have to say yes.
    If Cubs came along and offered Samarzjia for the same deal I would have to say no.
    If Cubs offered Samardzjia for Heyward, CB and a minor league pitcher (mid level) I would have to say yes.
    I think for Price we would have to start with Gattis, maybe Minor plus 2 or our "elite" prospects not named CB.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Neither of Heyward or Upton will be with Atlanta in 2017 when the new stadium opens. Dont think for one moment that doesnt enter into what Wren does or does not do. Re: Heyward, Tons of talent, no doubt, but just hasnt proven it yet IMO. Upton is pretty much a ho hum guy. Power is a positive. You do know that Gattis played more games in LF than he caught last year. Doumit played more OF as well.

A purely defensive catcher (or any other position player) is harder to hide in the NL than he would be in the AL.

If CWS came along and offered Sale for Upton, CB, Wood and another prospect I would have to say yes.
    If Cubs came along and offered Samarzjia for the same deal I would have to say no.
    If Cubs offered Samardzjia for Heyward, CB and a minor league pitcher (mid level) I would have to say yes.
    I think for Price we would have to start with Gattis, maybe Minor plus 2 or our "elite" prospects not named CB.
    Heyward and more for 2 years of Samardizja?

Thank god you arent GM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Heyward and more for 2 years of Samardizja?

Thank god you arent GM.
    I could say the same about you. But just as edification, no proposed trade has to end with what is posted on these boards. Cubs have tons of position prospects that we could use in the near future. AFWIW, Bowman posted a blog/article on the 17th that outlined pretty much what I said. Not exact but as Knucksie knows so well, I dont know how to link.