Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ALBIES AND SWANSON!!!!!!

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Sure, if you think the Braves should have Albies and Swanson up on opening day next year, which I don't think they should do.
    Why? If they keep raking while playing plus d they need to play

Object is to win mlb games. Not have the cheapest roster

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    No, the object is to sustained trips to the playoffs. You don't do that by wasting service time of your future middle infielders during a season that is already a lost cause.

It would probably be wisest to leave both Albies and Swanson in the minors until a few weeks into 2017, but I have a feeling they will be handed the keys to SS and 2B from day 1 of next season to open up the new ballpark. If that's the case, then it doesn't matter if they come up for a couple months towards the end of this season. It would cost the Braves a year of control, but at least it would give us a reason to watch the team in September

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (04-30-2016), Braves1976 (04-30-2016), jpx7 (04-30-2016)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    No, the object is to sustained trips to the playoffs. You don't do that by wasting service time of your future middle infielders during a season that is already a lost cause.

It would probably be wisest to leave both Albies and Swanson in the minors until a few weeks into 2017, but I have a feeling they will be handed the keys to SS and 2B from day 1 of next season to open up the new ballpark. If that's the case, then it doesn't matter if they come up for a couple months towards the end of this season. It would cost the Braves a year of control, but at least it would give us a reason to watch the team in September
    Beyond service-time, it'd be nice to give them enough PA to ensure they develop smoothly and that they seem likely to have adapted to the higher level of play, versus just riding an early hot streak.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-30-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I don't like rushing them like this, I am afraid it will backfire one way or another.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts

How does it lose a year of control? My understanding is that super 2 will just cost us more arb money if they are good. It won't cost a year of control unless u are advocating not playing them till 2018

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I don't like rushing them like this, I am afraid it will backfire one way or another.
    Is it a rush if they are killing it? What is the metric for seeing if they are ready?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Is it a rush if they are killing it? What is the metric for seeing if they are ready?
    The month of April hasn't even ended yet, Albies is just 19 and already skipped High A and now barely a month in AA and off to AAA? I am not as concerned about Swanson jumping to AA as he is 22 and most thought both could handle AA. Further, as dak said in the other thread it isn't so much these promotions I don't like. It's that it seems they're trying to rush them to the Majors this year and that concerns me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-01-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    The month of April hasn't even ended yet, Albies is just 19 and already skipped High A and now barely a month in AA and off to AAA? I am not as concerned about Swanson jumping to AA as he is 22 and most thought both could handle AA. Further, as dak said in the other thread it isn't so much these promotions I don't like. It's that it seems they're trying to rush them to the Majors this year and that concerns me.
    That's your narrative. Andruw did it. Fur all did it but ended up being lower.

Albies metrics are in performance, not age. Sounds like he's not getting bigger. Everyone says he's mlb ready on d. So if he can handle elite stuff he should play.

I think their goal is for them to play NEXT yr. bring them up with roster expansion to get some firsts out of the way.

If they struggle they won't promote him

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    That's your narrative. Andruw did it. Fur all did it but ended up being lower.
    And for as awesome as Andruw was defensively, he never really hit his full potential offensively. Now whether having that extra time in the minors would have made him a better hitter is questionable, but leapfrogging through levels definitely didn't help him. You have to give the players a chance to struggle so they can learn to make adjustments. When you move them so fast they don't even see pitchers more than once then nobody makes adjustments to them, and in turn they don't get a chance to learn to adjust.

And clearly they are planning on starting them at the beginning of next year, but it's pretty dumb. And it's being done for financial reasons (to drum up interest in the club for the new park), not developmental reasons.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-30-2016), jpx7 (05-01-2016), VirginiaBrave (04-30-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    @mlbbowman
    The Albies and Swanson promotions furthers the Braves' hope that both could be in Atlanta for this season's second half.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    And for as awesome as Andruw was defensively, he never really hit his full potential offensively. Now whether having that extra time in the minors would have made him a better hitter is questionable, but leapfrogging through levels definitely didn't help him. You have to give the players a chance to struggle so they can learn to make adjustments. When you move them so fast they don't even see pitchers more than once then nobody makes adjustments to them, and in turn they don't get a chance to learn to adjust.

And clearly they are planning on starting them at the beginning of next year, but it's pretty dumb. And it's being done for financial reasons (to drum up interest in the club for the new park), not developmental reasons.
    Exactly!

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Both are probably prepared for a challenge at a higher level, so I love the promotions. However, the notion of them being called up for the second half is idiotic. That would be a financial decision to put butts in the seats in the new Cobb Co. Park. That would not be a sound baseball decision. Both players need to stay in the minors throughout this year, and a few weeks in to next season. Albies, Swanson, Ruiz and Newcomb can all come up late Mid to late April 2017, not before then.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

I think a lot of this is about giving the fans reason to not simply leaving the team forever. It's been a couple of tough years and a lot of popular guys were dealt off in an attempt to start from scratch. The problem with that is that the casual fan goes away and the more serious fan becomes embittered. Atlanta isn't Boston or Chicago, where there's enough hard core fans to fill the stadium even if the product is sub-par. From my vantage point (and I think the Twin Cities up here is the same way) is that Atlanta is a town of upper middle class transients who aren't going to go to the ballpark if the team isn't good because they don't have a longstanding tie to the team.

I don't want to break the 1962 Mets' 40-120 futility mark (and I'm sure the front office doesn't either), but a bit of perspective is in order. If you've started down the road of the long view, you better stay on it, especially after the arguably negative impact of the deals that have been made.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-01-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts

there is no guarantee andruw does any better if he spends more time in the minors. prospects don't live up to their potential all the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    There are no guarantee but chances are Albies age 26 season will be better than his age 20 season. So I would rather have him under contractual control from age 21 to 26 than age 20 to 25.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-30-2016), jpx7 (05-01-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Remember, Albies played a good bit for the big club in ST and impressed. Yes he's young but they've gotten a really good look at him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    How does it lose a year of control? My understanding is that super 2 will just cost us more arb money if they are good. It won't cost a year of control unless u are advocating not playing them till 2018
    If they are up from day one they are controlled for 6 years. If they wait a couple weeks they get that year plus 6 more years of control. They will be a super 2 and will go through arbitration 4 times instead of the usual 3 times.

And as someone said earlier, Albies will probably a much better player at 26 then 20, so I would rather control his age 26 season than have him playing on a cheaply team from day 1 at the age of 20.

It's all about resource management.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-30-2016), jpx7 (05-01-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    There are no guarantee but chances are Albies age 26 season will be better than his age 20 season. So I would rather have him under contractual control from age 21 to 26 than age 20 to 25.
    Plan is probably to extend and make that argument moot.

If he becomes a boras client they will trade him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    If they are up from day one they are controlled for 6 years. If they wait a couple weeks they get that year plus 6 more years of control. They will be a super 2 and will go through arbitration 4 times instead of the usual 3 times.

And as someone said earlier, Albies will probably a much better player at 26 then 20, so I would rather control his age 26 season than have him playing on a cheaply team from day 1 at the age of 20.

It's all about resource management.
    I don't think that is right.

Dob was adamant that the braves did not lose any yrs of control on Blair

Iirc u have to keep them below 172 days on 25 man to get a bonus yr
    Last edited by Russ2dollas; 04-30-2016 at 05:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts

Nothing to support this. Total speculation.

Even if u are right u say they need to adjust. If they are raking inthe minors why would they adjust?