Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Adam Duv-awful Thread

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Duvall has far more than 43 PAs this year as a whole though. He has even more than that since the start of 2016. The fact remains that he's seeing his infield flies increasing while seeing his HR/FB decreasing. For a 30 year old, that's bad news.

Also of note is that Duvall is hitting just .194 on the season in 413 PAs. His OPS for the season is a pitiful .640.

Duvall is not good and is likely to be worse next year.
    He's "STARTED" a total of 8 games since he came over - that means that 30 of his ABs have come when he's seen more than 1 in the same day, and he's started back-to-back games exactly once. The SPs in those 8 games were...

Jason Vargas
    Jefry Rodriguez
    Tommy Milone
    Wade Miley (shut the entire offense down that day)
    Jose Urena (the day he drilled Acuna, Duvall replaced him - assuming you want to consider that one a start)
    Kyle Freeland (shut the entire offense down on 3 hits before the pen blew it late)
    Wei-Yin Chen (the day he had his best start in years and shut the entire offense down)
    Mike Montgomery

He starts almost a game and a half per week, and in half of those games he's faced a no-name SP who has spun one of their best starts in recent memory for crying out loud.

Duvall has had so much less to do with this team losing games than the bullpen since he was acquired it's comical.
    Last edited by clvclv; 09-07-2018 at 12:43 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    He's "STARTED" a total of 8 games since he came over - that means that 30 of his ABs have come when he's seen more than 1 in the same day, and he's started back-to-back games exactly once. The SPs in those 8 games were...

Jason Vargas
    Jefry Rodriguez
    Tommy Milone
    Wade Miley (shut the entire offense down that day)
    Jose Urena (the day he drilled Acuna, Duvall replaced him - assuming you want to consider that one a start)
    Kyle Freeland (shut the entire offense down on 3 hits before the pen blew it late)
    Wei-Yin Chen (the day he had his best start in years and shut the entire offense down)
    Mike Montgomery

He starts almost a game and a half per week, and in half of those games he's faced a no-name SP who has spun one of their best starts in recent memory for crying out loud.

Duvall has had so much less to do with this team losing games than the bullpen since he was acquired it's comical.
    Then don't look at just what he's done since the trade. Look at his full season. It's pretty bad. When you look at some stats over the last few years, they're trending down. He's popping the ball up on the infield more and driving it less. That's not good for an extreme flyball hitter like Duvall.

Please, someone give me reasons to believe (Trademark Mark Bowman) that Duvall will be a good piece next year. Tell me why he's not going to continue his slide.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Then don't look at just what he's done since the trade. Look at his full season. It's pretty bad. When you look at some stats over the last few years, they're trending down. He's popping the ball up on the infield more and driving it less. That's not good for an extreme flyball hitter like Duvall.

Please, someone give me reasons to believe (Trademark Mark Bowman) that Duvall will be a good piece next year. Tell me why he's not going to continue his slide.
    Quoting your thread-starting post...

Duvall is now 4 for 40 as a Brave. That's a .100 BA. But at least he's also shown no power (all 4 hits have been singles), poor plate discipline (just 3 BBs), and atrocious defense.

No one's claiming Duvall's an All-Star. No one's claiming he's even been solid. You referenced EXACTLY what he's done since the trade, then expanded it to say he's costing the team tons of games and needs to be cut loose - neither of which is true. He doesn't play enough for either of those statements to be true. Would they be in trouble if he were playing every day? Almost certainly. The same could be said of any player on any team who starts once a week.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Quoting your thread-starting post...

Duvall is now 4 for 40 as a Brave. That's a .100 BA. But at least he's also shown no power (all 4 hits have been singles), poor plate discipline (just 3 BBs), and atrocious defense.

No one's claiming Duvall's an All-Star. No one's claiming he's even been solid. You referenced EXACTLY what he's done since the trade, then expanded it to say he's costing the team tons of games and needs to be cut loose - neither of which is true. He doesn't play enough for either of those statements to be true. Would they be in trouble if he were playing every day? Almost certainly. The same could be said of any player on any team who starts once a week.
    I said he's cost us probably two games. I'd put part of the blame for the meltdown against the Sox at his feet (terrible defense). I think if we have a competent player in right we win that game. Though, to be fair, there's plenty of blame to go around for that loss.

I don't have a specific second game in mind. Just memories of him failing in key situations and not being particularly stellar in the field.

If his playing time had been given to an actually good player, I think we have two more wins right now. Just my opinion. Considering hes not gotten a ton of playing time, he's actually been impressively bad.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Duvall has far more than 43 PAs this year as a whole though. He has even more than that since the start of 2016. The fact remains that he's seeing his infield flies increasing while seeing his HR/FB decreasing. For a 30 year old, that's bad news.

Also of note is that Duvall is hitting just .194 on the season in 413 PAs. His OPS for the season is a pitiful .640.

Duvall is not good and is likely to be worse next year.
    Possibly, or more likely that he's in a cold snap.

Duvall should and will lose power. That's a given. Luckily, he's an arb player who we can let go. As it is he's a righty with power, which we have one on the team right now. He'll be gone after next season most likely as his price tag out paces his usefulness, but for now we have a guy who's a 1-2 WAR player a righty with power, and he's pretty cheap and should stay cheap next year given his age/profile.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Good news he is not in the lineup tonight
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Kd with the bases loaded and 1 out, down by one. He's been an exceptional addition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    It's managerial speak.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    It's managerial speak.
    Probably, but I do think Snit thinks Duvall is better than he is.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Probably, but I do think Snit thinks Duvall is better than he is.
    He is most certainly better than he's played in Atlanta

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    He is most certainly better than he's played in Atlanta
    Absolutely. He's not a sub .100 hitter and isn't the pathetic fielder he's been here.

I just think he's probably not a major league quality player anymore.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Absolutely. He's not a sub .100 hitter and isn't the pathetic fielder he's been here.

I just think he's probably not a major league quality player anymore.
    Before coming here he had a 100 WRC+ against lefties (down from what hes done previous but still way better than Ender) and the top rated defender in left. He has a role on a major league roster even if he hasn't played like one here.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    What I didn't paticularly like about the at-bat Friday nite is that he takes a definite strike three and then bitches about it. There is less to like every time I see him.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I said he's cost us probably two games. I'd put part of the blame for the meltdown against the Sox at his feet (terrible defense). I think if we have a competent player in right we win that game. Though, to be fair, there's plenty of blame to go around for that loss.

I don't have a specific second game in mind. Just memories of him failing in key situations and not being particularly stellar in the field.

If his playing time had been given to an actually good player, I think we have two more wins right now. Just my opinion. Considering hes not gotten a ton of playing time, he's actually been impressively bad.
    No, you said what was in bold. You said other things much later.

BTW, Freddie was 10 for his last 60-something before his two hits tonight, maybe those ABs should've gone to him since he's a "good player" - they'd have won those two games.
    Last edited by clvclv; 09-08-2018 at 11:44 PM.

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Just get rid of the bum already.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    THis thread is the most striker thread ever. Only thing missing is complaining about refs and Mark Richt.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    THis thread is the most striker thread ever. Only thing missing is complaining about refs and Mark Richt.
    Hey, I liked Richt. I complained about the coordinators.

Ultimately this thread took off more than intended. Duvall is annoyingly bad and has hurt Ys but it looks like he's been relegated to the end of the bench. This is nothing like my hatred of Derek Lowe though.

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Please never put him in RF again!