Page 14 of 92 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 MLB Draft Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    It's not a determination, it's an observation and a feeling. I'm not saying never draft a college bat. The Baylor guy is a college bat/catcher. Very clever personal shot though! Good for You!

I am just surprised on how everyone seems so positive on the ASU kid when it looks like he has big red flags.

I am not saying who we should draft. I don't even know their names. Just curious why people do not seem to be worried about a college player who is toolsy but has some production issues.
    your last sentence in that post was nonsensical at best.
    an observation of what? one college player drafted in last year's draft that we still know little about?
    a feeling based on what? one college player drafted in last year's draft that we still know little about?
    if people gotta get their silliness off i guess i can try and let it go.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    That said, having someone that has that kind of defensive profile makes Contreras' defense slightly less important and he could be your offensive-minded half of the future "platoon" without hurting things much.
    That sort of upside still is far from worth a top-ten draft section. Like I said upthread, he sounds like a second- or third-round type.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    I am just surprised on how everyone seems so positive on the ASU kid when it looks like he has big red flags.
    Bishop and langeliers basically have the same the same hit tool grades for the most part, yes. So basically both have questions from a contact perspective.

The difference is Bishop has a huge power tool, which makes him a potential star offensively if his hit tool is real.

Langeliers has a pretty average hit tool to go along with an average power tool.

I don't think it as much people are ignoring Bishop's red flags as much as langeliers has way more, and his offensive upside seems limited.
    Last edited by auyushu; 05-06-2019 at 06:09 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-06-2019)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    Bishop and langeliers basically have the same the same hit tool grades for the most part, yes. So basically both have questions from a contact perspective.

The difference is Bishop has a huge power tool, which makes him a potential star offensively if his hit tool is real.

Langeliers has a pretty average power tool to go along with an average power tool.

I don't think it as much people are ignoring Bishop's red flags as much as langeliers has way more, and his offensive upside seems limited.
    Similar to the Gorman situation last year, in terms of risk/reward—the difference being Gorman’s youth and relative level competition. Given his performance since becoming a professional, he’s an example of why rolling the dice on a guy like Bishop is a much more attractive proposition than it is for a guy like Langeliers.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Similar to the Gorman situation last year, in terms of risk/reward—the difference being Gorman’s youth and relative level competition. Given his performance since becoming a professional, he’s an example of why rolling the dice on a guy like Bishop is a much more attractive proposition than it is for a guy like Langeliers.
    Yeah, Gorman is a good comparison. I think Austin Beck and Jo Adell are good comparisons in the 2017 draft as well. If Bishop's hit tool translates well you can wind up with Gorman or Adell, if it doesn't you can wind up with Austin Beck and not much of anything.

But that's a risk with any bat at the end of the top 10, they are going in that range rather than the top 5 because they have some holes and risk.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-06-2019)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Here is a name that I haven't seen talked about much: Jerrion Ealy. I don't think you take him with the 9th or 21st pick, but if he is still there at 60 would he be worth the risk of him honoring his commitment to Ole Miss in football? The dude's tools are LOUD. The only question mark with him is his hit tool. He's got power upside, he's an 80 grade runner, good defensive outfielder. It'd probably take an overslot deal to sign him, but I'd really like to see him in our farm if at all possible.

You could say the same thing about Maurice Hampton too, but I like Ealy's athleticism more.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-06-2019)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Here is a name that I haven't seen talked about much: Jerrion Ealy. I don't think you take him with the 9th or 21st pick, but if he is still there at 60 would he be worth the risk of him honoring his commitment to Ole Miss in football? The dude's tools are LOUD. The only question mark with him is his hit tool. He's got power upside, he's an 80 grade runner, good defensive outfielder. It'd probably take an overslot deal to sign him, but I'd really like to see him in our farm if at all possible.

You could say the same thing about Maurice Hampton too, but I like Ealy's athleticism more.
    Wouldn’t you say hit tool is probably the most important tool. I don’t know the kid from a hole in the ground. But a lot football players would project the same. If they could actually hit a baseball.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts

All I know about him is from football recruiting. During his recruitment, it was a consensus among ones following his recruitment that Ealy was a definite 1st rounder.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Wouldn’t you say hit tool is probably the most important tool. I don’t know the kid from a hole in the ground. But a lot football players would project the same. If they could actually hit a baseball.
    Hit tool is the most important tool, but its also the hardest tool to project and evaluate. His other tools are so loud that if his hit tool can get to a ~50 then he'll likely be a star.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Not sure Servais ever had anything approaching Langeliers' defensive ability, but I'd agree that having him turn into an "everyday" Catcher would require serious improvement with the bat.

That said, having someone that has that kind of defensive profile makes Contreras' defense slightly less important and he could be your offensive-minded half of the future "platoon" without hurting things much.
    So with the 9th pick in the draft, you'd like to spend it on someone who could may be become our backup catcher.... Wow.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-07-2019)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    So with the 9th pick in the draft, you'd like to spend it on someone who could may be become our backup catcher.... Wow.
    I see that guy mocked to us by cbs and pipeline.
    Law says he was a top 10 guy before hamate injury.

I think the guy could be a star. He doesn’t have a lot of power but the new ball plus launch angle.

Plus he might be a guy you can get underslot.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    I see that guy mocked to us by cbs and pipeline.
    Law says he was a top 10 guy before hamate injury.

I think the guy could be a star. He doesn’t have a lot of power but the new ball plus launch angle.

Plus he might be a guy you can get underslot.
    His injury z creates another red flag. It doesn't alleviate others.

Simply put, there are better options who are safer bets to reach the majors. A catcher with questions whether his hitting will translate is not someone you spend a top 10 pick on.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    His injury z creates another red flag. It doesn't alleviate others.

Simply put, there are better options who are safer bets to reach the majors. A catcher with questions whether his hitting will translate is not someone you spend a top 10 pick on.
    My understanding of the hamate injury is that is something people overcome after two years. If that's wrong, then I'll learn something.

I'm just surprised the view is so negative on the board vs the people doing mock drafts.

Bishop seems to be a big time ATH. We could use a LH bat. He's very tall and Judge has shown you can be that tall and play in the OF. It just seems odd that people aren't worried about sample size given how his first year went and how he has performed vs better competition. Seems to me to be a very small sample size of offensive excellence.

I think in two years we are looking at Waters and Pache in our OF. I'd be looking for HS kids with tools over college bats.

I really wish we could trade the 9 pick and two pitchers for the number 1 pick to the get the OSU catcher.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post

Langeliers has a pretty average hit tool to go along with an average power tool.

To go along with top-tier pop times, framing, and blocking skills behind the plate.

Just find it a little funny that everyone's all about how important it is to have really good defensive Catchers until there's a chance to draft one.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Rather than Bishop who may very well become the next Jenista? Maybe.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    To go along with top-tier pop times, framing, and blocking skills behind the plate.

Just find it a little funny that everyone's all about how important it is to have really good defensive Catchers until there's a chance to draft one.
    It's also important to have good BP arms, but nobody takes them with the 9th pick in the draft...

As usual, your understanding of a topic is...lacking.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

come on dude
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Wouldn’t you say hit tool is probably the most important tool.
    it is...ask george lombard
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

23. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (05-08-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Hit tool is the most important tool, but its also the hardest tool to project and evaluate.
    actually it's the power tool that is more unpredictable...see Albies and Heyward
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    One thing to keep in mind is the possibility of robo umps calling balls and strikes in the future. If that happens, Langeliers' framing skills are suddenly worthless.