Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Braves Likely To Hold On To Francoeur, Unless Strong Offer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Well the leadership on this year's team could have a spillover effect into 2017 and beyond. Think about that special mentor you had when you were young. That person had a lifelong effect on you.
    Yeah, that frenchy sure knew how to lose with class.

I'm kidding

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Well the leadership on this year's team could have a spillover effect into 2017 and beyond. Think about that special mentor you had when you were young. That person had a lifelong effect on you.
    I'd buy this more if we were the phillies...we are not.

We are old. Pitchers are young, but position players are not. Inder, Mallex (hurt) and Jace are the only guys under 25 right? Plus we have Neck. And FF.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Yeah, don't let the young guys play and get experience in a 100 loss year (that the mistakes don't matter), hold onto all those old guys...that's the right move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Yeah, don't let the young guys play and get experience in a 100 loss year (that the mistakes don't matter), hold onto all those old guys...that's the right move.
    The young guys can learn a lot by watching Francoeur and AJ from the bench. Those guys play the game the right way.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (07-25-2016)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    No we can trade all of these one year contract vets and get something for nothing. We can also sign them back if we want to next year. Look at Kelly Johnson who we traded TWICE. Coppy is a friggin moron if he keeps any of these guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    I'm guessing the source on this is Coppy, and the intent is two-fold: (1) garden variety posturing, (2) damage control with the players, some of whom may have been miffed by the previous report that they were aggressively trying to trade the team's most well-respected veteran.

I think the message is that Frenchy will not be traded for some phantom prospect like Adam McCreery. They'll only trade him if a legit mid-level prospect is coming back.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-25-2016)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts
    I hope they continue aggressively pursuing options for AJ, Aybar, Frenchy, Beckham, d'Arnaud, Cervenka, Alvarez, and Krol. At the same time, I don't want them to trade some of these utility guys and find out that they have to pull up Swanson and Albies from the minors to fill in the holes. I'd prefer them to get their first cup of tea when the team opens in Citi Field next year.

If they can't find suitors for AJ and Aybar, I hope they get released in August.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    No we can trade all of these one year contract vets and get something for nothing. We can also sign them back if we want to next year. Look at Kelly Johnson who we traded TWICE. Coppy is a friggin moron if he keeps any of these guys.
    Out of curiosity, exactly what level of return would you expect to get for...

1.) Francoeur
    2.) Aybar
    3.) Beckham
    4.) EOF
    5.) Jim Johnson
    6.) Pierzynski

and who would you call a "moron" next if our everyday lineup for the rest of the year included Castro at SS, Brandon Snyder in LF, and Recker and Kottaras/McKenry/Lalli behind the plate?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (07-26-2016)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

1.) Francoeur
    2.) Aybar
    3.) Beckham
    4.) EOF
    5.) Jim Johnson
    6.) Pierzynski

and who would you call a "moron" next if our everyday lineup for the rest of the year included Castro at SS, Brandon Snyder in LF, and Recker and Kottaras/McKenry/Lalli behind the plate?
    I'm not sure why you think that lineup is that much worse.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

CyYoung31 (07-25-2016)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    I hope they continue aggressively pursuing options for AJ, Aybar, Frenchy, Beckham, d'Arnaud, Cervenka, Alvarez, and Krol. At the same time, I don't want them to trade some of these utility guys and find out that they have to pull up Swanson and Albies from the minors to fill in the holes. I'd prefer them to get their first cup of tea when the team opens in Citi Field next year.

If they can't find suitors for AJ and Aybar, I hope they get released in August.

I think/hope this is likely...

As far as Swanson/Albies. Unless they plan to keep them down for a couple of months next year.... and unless the CBA changes.... bringing them up now versus starting the year with them next Spring is pretty much the same as far as service time. I think they will call them up when THEY think they are ready. They won't be forced to do so because of trades, nor will they keep them down for service time purposes. If we see them this year, so be it. If not, it will be because they need to more time in the minors (Pretty hard to argue that their work in the minors is not shouting that they are close).
    Last edited by mfree80; 07-25-2016 at 12:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts

1.) Francoeur
    2.) Aybar
    3.) Beckham
    4.) EOF
    5.) Jim Johnson
    6.) Pierzynski

JF I could see getting something of value-future BP arm. He can hit LH. He is still solid on D and has the arm. He's cheap.

I can't imagine anyone wanting Aybar.
    The other guys I see getting C level guys. maybe if we pay their way a little better? I just don't see why you wouldn't want to get lottery ticket for those guys vs keeping them. Even if you get an all control pitcher there is a chance. Or a pitcher with one plus pitch. Or a speed guy. AJ is doing nothing but taking away time from Flowers (When healthy).

I'd be looking to trade anyone not named: FF, Folty, Wisler (b/c selling low), Jenkins (b/c selling low), Blair (b/c selling low), JT (have to blow me away), Inciarte (have to blow me away), Cabrera (I'd consider if ppl fall in love w/ velocity) and Viz (b/c selling low)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I'm with you. Let's see the definition of replacement player.

Let Lipka play some.....

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts

1.) Francoeur
    2.) Aybar
    3.) Beckham
    4.) EOF
    5.) Jim Johnson
    6.) Pierzynski

Oh my gosh...you are right. Looking at that lineup...that might put us in LAST place!! Oh wait, we already are and it doesn't matter + all of those guys have been horrible. Better to be young and learning "bad", than old and done "bad". Also, we need to access the AAA guys, so they open spots for the real talent in AA up to the next level.

Btw: Recker has done fine and Castro has always played well when he has been up. They are great place holders. They also need someone like Olivera up, so they can see if he can do "any" thing.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I'm not saying I do. The point is, Frenchy and Beckham are local guys and have loyal followings (however small) who will come out to see them play in a few games.

I understand looking for "lottery tickets" when your system is as barren as ours was not so long ago. The problem with adding those guys at this point is counterproductive - we're already having trouble getting a good look at prospects we've already traded for/drafted/signed. Arms we already have in the system...

SPs:
    1. Teheran
    2. Folty
    3. Wisler
    4. Jenkins
    5. De La Cruz
    6. Gant
    7. Perez
    8. Blair
    9. Weber
    10. Kelly
    11. Ellis
    12. Whalen
    13. Newcomb
    14. Sims
    15. Povse
    16. Weigel
    17. Fried
    18. Toussaint
    19. Allard
    20. Soroka
    21. Anderson
    22. Wentz
    23. Muller
    24. Sanchez
    25. Wilson

RPs:
    1. Vizcaino
    2. Cervenka
    3. Withrow
    4. Krol
    5. Cabrera
    6. Alvarez
    7. Simmons
    8. Minter
    9. Janas
    10. Marksberry
    11. Cleto
    12. Dirks
    13. Banuelos
    14. Hursh
    15. Kinman
    16. Winkler
    17. Paco
    18. Wooten
    19. Younginer
    20. Evan Phillips
    21. Akeel Morris
    22. Jed Bradley
    23. Pfeifer
    24. Matt Withrow
    25. McLaughlin
    26. Johnson-Mullins
    27. Devan Watts
    28. Caicedo
    29. Josh Graham
    30. Harrington
    31. Hyssong

It's likely ALL those guys will have spots on full-season rosters next year. Signing any free-agents or trading for anyone will push some of them further down the ladder.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-25-2016)

Arizona Fall Leaguer Anthony J. Pierzynski's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I'm guessing the source on this is Coppy, and the intent is two-fold: (1) garden variety posturing, (2) damage control with the players, some of whom may have been miffed by the previous report that they were aggressively trying to trade the team's most well-respected veteran.

I think the message is that Frenchy will not be traded for some phantom prospect like Adam McCreery. They'll only trade him if a legit mid-level prospect is coming back.
    Who?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony J. Pierzynski For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (07-26-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony J. Pierzynski View Post
    Who?
    Please excuse the error in my logic. Or should we say, passed ball. It was a total swing and miss, and I definitely didn't frame it up well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I'm not saying I do. The point is, Frenchy and Beckham are local guys and have loyal followings (however small) who will come out to see them play in a few games.

I understand looking for "lottery tickets" when your system is as barren as ours was not so long ago. The problem with adding those guys at this point is counterproductive - we're already having trouble getting a good look at prospects we've already traded for/drafted/signed. Arms we already have in the system...

SPs:
    1. Teheran
    2. Folty
    3. Wisler
    4. Jenkins
    5. De La Cruz
    6. Gant
    7. Perez
    8. Blair
    9. Weber
    10. Kelly
    11. Ellis
    12. Whalen
    13. Newcomb
    14. Sims
    15. Povse
    16. Weigel
    17. Fried
    18. Toussaint
    19. Allard
    20. Soroka
    21. Anderson
    22. Wentz
    23. Muller
    24. Sanchez
    25. Wilson

RPs:
    1. Vizcaino
    2. Cervenka
    3. Withrow
    4. Krol
    5. Cabrera
    6. Alvarez
    7. Simmons
    8. Minter
    9. Janas
    10. Marksberry
    11. Cleto
    12. Dirks
    13. Banuelos
    14. Hursh
    15. Kinman
    16. Winkler
    17. Paco
    18. Wooten
    19. Younginer
    20. Evan Phillips
    21. Akeel Morris
    22. Jed Bradley
    23. Pfeifer
    24. Matt Withrow
    25. McLaughlin
    26. Johnson-Mullins
    27. Devan Watts
    28. Caicedo
    29. Josh Graham
    30. Harrington
    31. Hyssong

It's likely ALL those guys will have spots on full-season rosters next year. Signing any free-agents or trading for anyone will push some of them further down the ladder.
    Can't have too many arms.

I expect some to go in trade at the winter meetings. I just hope it's not a stupid trade b/c we are looking to make a splash like a new NBA owner.

Arizona Fall Leaguer Anthony J. Pierzynski's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Please excuse the error in my logic. Or should we say, passed ball. It was a total swing and miss, and I definitely didn't frame it up well.
    I didn't catch your drift.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony J. Pierzynski For This Useful Post:

dak (07-25-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I think the point is that it isn't any better.

I'm perfectly fine with moving any of the players on the list, but the reality is that none of them apparently have much value and they aren't blocking anyone of consequence.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-26-2016)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    I think Albies is ready now honestly..Dansby needs another full year.I know Albies defense needs some work but this team needs bats and he's a hitting machine.besides if we are gonna suck again next year which looks likely we need someone other then mallex/folty to look forward to watching.I'D bring both up in September and leave Ozzie up for next year and maybe bring Swanson up mid season.