Page 24 of 579 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124524 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Does McCann have anything left in the tank? Think maybe a Julio Teheran for McCann swap could make sense? McCann was bad this year hitting, but he had a .767 ops vs rhp last year. Flowers was good vs lhp. This would allow Astros to pursue grandal. Dallas K and Morton are FAs, so Astros could maybe have a spot for Julio. We'd trade Julio's 2 years for 1 year of McCann. Not sure how McCann's framing is.

Dave Stewart hired me as his assistant, so granted, I'm not good at trade ideas
    Can't imagine they'd be interested in that. They have a team option on Mac for 2019, so if they want out from under his money they'll just pay the buyout.

EDIT: There's not even a buyout in Mac's deal, so they can just walk away if they don't want to pay him.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Can't imagine they'd be interested in that. They have a team option on Mac for 2019, so if they want out from under his money they'll just pay the buyout.

EDIT: There's not even a buyout in Mac's deal, so they can just walk away if they don't want to pay him.
    Well there you go... me and Dave will quit trade ideas altogether
    Last edited by msstate7; 10-18-2018 at 11:55 AM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Well there you go... me and Dave will quit trade ideas all together
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    After reading AA's comments on Russell Martin after the signing in reference to how pitch framing makes 12 other players on the roster better I don't see us going after a catcher who does not excel here. Grandal still makes the most sense

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-18-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Wow!

So Cutch and Gardner are good ideas now that someone else mentions them?

Shocking.
    Huh? Those names have been thrown around here for months...

Or are you somehow claiming to be the originator of those "ideas", as if nobody else knew Cutch would be a FA and Gardner might be the odd man out once they got Stanton?

As usual, your thought process is stuck in the mud spinning its wheels.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    After reading AA's comments on Russell Martin after the signing in reference to how pitch framing makes 12 other players on the roster better I don't see us going after a catcher who does not excel here. Grandal still makes the most sense
    It is worth noting that Maldonado is another very good pitch framer who will be available.

While Ramos isn't a great framer, he is better than Suzuki, which would represent an overall upgrade at the position.

I agree that Grandal should be FA priority #1 though, and I'm sure the Braves will be heavily connected to him until the day he signs.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    we've talked about happ from the cubs as a target, but what about schwarber? he improved his defense in LF after slimming down quite a bit. i'm a believer in his bat. i suppose the same fear with pederson applies to schwarber: he may be unplayable vs. lefties (85 wRC+ vs. them this year).

Enscheff, what're you thoughts on a Newcomb for Happ deal, were it available?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It is worth noting that Maldonado is another very good pitch framer who will be available.

While Ramos isn't a great framer, he is better than Suzuki, which would represent an overall upgrade at the position.

I agree that Grandal should be FA priority #1 though, and I'm sure the Braves will be heavily connected to him until the day he signs.
    Grandal would be great but he will be too expensive. My guess is he will get a 5/90 deal. You are bidding against too many teams to get him at a value price.

Wasn’t there a rumor at the deadline that Giants might rebuild and trade Posey? He is owed less than 70 million over the next three years.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    Grandal would be great but he will be too expensive. My guess is he will get a 5/90 deal. You are bidding against too many teams to get him at a value price.

Wasn’t there a rumor at the deadline that Giants might rebuild and trade Posey? He is owed less than 70 million over the next three years.
    He just had a major surgery to repair a torn labrum in his hip, 6-8 months recovery time....seems like he is on the downside of his career.
    Last edited by bravesfanforlife88; 10-18-2018 at 02:47 PM.
    Get off my lawn!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-18-2018), jpx7 (10-18-2018)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    He just had a major surgery to repair a torn labrum in his hip, 6-8 months recovery time....seems like he is on the downside of his career.
    He hit better than league average and was a 2 fWar player in over a hundred games with a bad hip. Catching could be problematic but his bat is still good. His hip doesn’t scare me anymore than Ramos knee.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JxnMissFan For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (10-18-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

You are quite possibly correct. The Braves may not be willing to outbid every other team for an aging catcher. If the Dodgers want him, they will sign him.

Just a guess, but I think the fact they already extended Flowers means they are thinking more along the lines of someone like Maldonado than Grandal.

I'm still holding out hope or Grandal though because I'm an irrational fan.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-18-2018), jpx7 (10-18-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    If the Giants rebuild, Brandon Belt might be one to consider. He's been mainly a first baseman, but has also played a passable left field over the years. His hitting stats have undoubtedly been depressed by the hitting environment he's played in. Peralta, who I also like as a trade possibility, has had his hitting stats inflated by his home field environment. Things to keep in mind.

Belt's contract calls for $16M for each of the next 3 years, his ages 31-33 season. It is the kind of contract that implies minimal expected surplus value. Which for me is an attractive thing because it implies we would not have to trade a premium prospect for him. He would be pretty much a salary dump for the Giants. If we can get Pollock (another one whose hitting stats are inflated by his home environment) for $16M/3 years, he would be preferable. But both the AAV and years might end up higher. In which case Belt would be a good alternative.

Belt and Pollock would both be 31 next season. Brantley would be 32. Peralta would be 31 for most of the season.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-18-2018 at 03:45 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-19-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    If the Giants rebuild, Brandon Belt might be one to consider. He's been mainly a first baseman, but has also played a passable left field over the years. His hitting stats have undoubtedly been depressed by the hitting environment he's played in. Peralta, who I also like as a trade possibility, has had his hitting stats inflated by his home field environment. Things to keep in mind.

Belt's contract calls for $16M for each of the next 3 years, his ages 31-33 season. It is the kind of contract that implies minimal expected surplus value. Which for me is an attractive thing because it implies we would not have to trade a premium prospect for him. He would be pretty much a salary dump for the Giants. If we can get Pollock (another one whose hitting stats are inflated by his home environment) for $16M/3 years, he would be preferable. But both the AAV and years might end up higher. In which case Belt would be a good alternative.

Belt and Pollock would both be 31 next season. Brantley would be 32. Peralta would be 31 for most of the season.
    If we're looking for a bopper, Belt might not be the guy. His career high in homers is 18 and now leaving his prime.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-19-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    You are quite possibly correct. The Braves may not be willing to outbid every other team for an aging catcher. If the Dodgers want him, they will sign him.

Just a guess, but I think the fact they already extended Flowers means they are thinking more along the lines of someone like Maldonado than Grandal.

I'm still holding out hope or Grandal though because I'm an irrational fan.
    I've made the argument before that a catcher who is an elite pitch framer and one who can handle is staff well is more important than an offense first one. I say that because of all the young arms we'll be funneling up over the next few years. Thoughts on that?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-19-2018)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I've made the argument before that a catcher who is an elite pitch framer and one who can handle is staff well is more important than an offense first one. I say that because of all the young arms we'll be funneling up over the next few years. Thoughts on that?
    I think an NL team has to get some offense from the catcher position. With the luxury of the DH an American League team can get away with starting a weak hitting catcher.

The downside of signing a bat first catcher is that he is only going to play around 130 games a year.

The Braves catching platoon the past two years is probably the best model for how fill the position.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to JxnMissFan For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-19-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    I think an NL team has to get some offense from the catcher position. With the luxury of the DH an American League team can get away with starting a weak hitting catcher.

The downside of signing a bat first catcher is that he is only going to play around 130 games a year.

The Braves catching platoon the past two years is probably the best model for how fill the position.
    I get that. But imagine the benefit we'd get by having someone who can guide our young pitchers through games and help them get optimal results. I feel that's hugely overlooked.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Much like I didnt mind the idea of creating surplus in the infield, I could make the case for acquiring two starting caliber OF.

One likely would be a LHH that would play everyday with decent splits bs RHP.

The other would Likely be RH that wears out LHP.

Pushes Inciarte to 4th OF or platoon. His extension makes that less than ideal at some point but just have to bear that.

Brantley is kind of my preference for every day LH over Pollock though the argument for either is apparent.

Not sure who my RH bat is. Can’t be too hard to find though.

Maybe Broxton has a decent split there?

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Much like I didnt mind the idea of creating surplus in the infield, I could make the case for acquiring two starting caliber OF.

One likely would be a LHH that would play everyday with decent splits bs RHP.

The other would Likely be RH that wears out LHP.

Pushes Inciarte to 4th OF or platoon. His extension makes that less than ideal at some point but just have to bear that.

Brantley is kind of my preference for every day LH over Pollock though the argument for either is apparent.

Not sure who my RH bat is. Can’t be too hard to find though.

Maybe Broxton has a decent split there?
    Pollock is a RHH
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I get that. But imagine the benefit we'd get by having someone who can guide our young pitchers through games and help them get optimal results. I feel that's hugely overlooked.
    I think a pitching coach that instills a sound pitching philosophy maybe more important than catcher. Maybe I’m blowing this up but it seemed to me that so many of the Braves walks came when the pitchers would throw two good fastballs to get ahead then throw four straight balls trying to nibble at the corners. The Braves pitchers seemed to pitch scared at times and lacked a good plan on how to attack hitters.
    Last edited by JxnMissFan; 10-18-2018 at 09:20 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    Pollock is a RHH
    i Knew that yesterday. Oh well.