Page 64 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1858

Thread: Affordable Care Act

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    Not that this has anything to do with the Affordable Care Act, but just got a bill from my son's pediatrician visit. Insurance covered everything except I owe $65 to cover a little piece of ear wax being taken out of his ear in order to check for an infection. A little piece of wax that took one try to remove. Whoever in this world came up with a price/rule like that needs to be beaten with Negan's baseball bat and pushed off a cliff.

And no I don't think that's harsh.

People just make up **** to charge for, and that's the goddamn problem with our health care system.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

57Brave (10-30-2016), Hawk (10-31-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    5% of 300M = 15M people

or approximately 7 1/2 times the population of New Mexico
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    5% of 300M = 15M people

or approximately 7 1/2 times the population of New Mexico

How many people lost thier jobs or lost a considerable amount of thier yearly income due to The ACA?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    if you have something to say ---- say it

I am not going to make your argument for you

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    It appears ACA is working according to plan...

Increases are going up so drastically, that eventually the people will demand that the government "save us" and we will get our nationalized medicine.

Amazing how dumb the population is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Not that this has anything to do with the Affordable Care Act, but just got a bill from my son's pediatrician visit. Insurance covered everything except I owe $65 to cover a little piece of ear wax being taken out of his ear in order to check for an infection. A little piece of wax that took one try to remove. Whoever in this world came up with a price/rule like that needs to be beaten with Negan's baseball bat and pushed off a cliff.

And no I don't think that's harsh.

People just make up **** to charge for, and that's the goddamn problem with our health care system.

Your getting to the heart of the problem. Insurance means they can charge outrageous prices. When payment is guaranteed you raise the prices. Same thing with colleges. They don't focus on cutting unnecessary costs they just raise prices. I have heard a lot of hospitals spend upwards of 100k a year on unused phone lines. It's a virtual gold mine for techs because hospitals will pay you saving them money. They pay a year's worth of savings. So if I cut enough lines to save them 100k a year they would pay me 100k.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    It appears ACA is working according to plan...

Increases are going up so drastically, that eventually the people will demand that the government "save us" and we will get our nationalized medicine.

Amazing how dumb the population is.
    If good news - celebrate ACA and give credit to Obama

If bad news - say that, well, you're really for a single-payer system, and blame the Rebuplicans for ACA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Alan Mundy ‏@idontwan2know 8m8 minutes ago

It is lost on so many people that the part of Obamacare that is struggling is the market driven part that Republicans came up with

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (11-04-2016), goldfly (12-01-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Uhhh...Because its not a federal law to buy their product?

Can you explain why health insurance is exploding after the implementation?

Hey, at least youre now acknowledging mathematical facts... youre making progress!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    After meeting with President Barack Obama, President-elect Donald Trump appears to have reversed his position on repealing Obamacare.
    One of the President-elect’s biggest promises on the campaign trail was his vow to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, particularly in the wake of health insurance providers pledging to raise the price of coverage by double digits in coming years. However, it appears the outgoing president has convinced Trump to keep his signature legislation. As of this writing, Trump has only said he would amend it, and that repealing the law outright may not be his plan going forward.

The position is a shocker to many, particularly Congressional Republicans like Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and House Speaker Paul Ryan. McConnell has said repealing Obamacare is “pretty high” on his list of priorities for the next four years, and Ryan is asking Trump to allow him to privatize Medicare and gut Obamacare, according to Salon.

The UK-based Independent reported that President-elect Trump and President Obama discussed some of the ongoing difficulties the country faces, but also reflected on the highlights of the past 8 years, which has been interpreted as praise for the Affordable Care Act. The healthcare law, which has allowed over 20 million Americans to have access to health insurance since 2010, is proving popular in the wake of the election, with over 100,000 Americans signing up for Affordable Care Act plans on healthcare.gov in the past 48 hours.

Americans have until January 31, 2017 to enroll in or change existing health coverage for the 2017 calendar year

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    After meeting with President Barack Obama, President-elect Donald Trump appears to have reversed his position on repealing Obamacare.
    One of the President-elect’s biggest promises on the campaign trail was his vow to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, particularly in the wake of health insurance providers pledging to raise the price of coverage by double digits in coming years. However, it appears the outgoing president has convinced Trump to keep his signature legislation. As of this writing, Trump has only said he would amend it, and that repealing the law outright may not be his plan going forward.

The position is a shocker to many, particularly Congressional Republicans like Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and House Speaker Paul Ryan. McConnell has said repealing Obamacare is “pretty high” on his list of priorities for the next four years, and Ryan is asking Trump to allow him to privatize Medicare and gut Obamacare, according to Salon.

The UK-based Independent reported that President-elect Trump and President Obama discussed some of the ongoing difficulties the country faces, but also reflected on the highlights of the past 8 years, which has been interpreted as praise for the Affordable Care Act. The healthcare law, which has allowed over 20 million Americans to have access to health insurance since 2010, is proving popular in the wake of the election, with over 100,000 Americans signing up for Affordable Care Act plans on healthcare.gov in the past 48 hours.

Americans have until January 31, 2017 to enroll in or change existing health coverage for the 2017 calendar year
    I am for amending the part about crossing the state lines which would help with pricing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    How would that work ?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    57, tell me what parts of this you would strike:

1. Our elected representatives must eliminate the individual mandate. No person should be required to buy insurance unless he or she wants to.

2. Modify existing law that inhibits the sale of health insurance across state lines. As long as the plan purchased complies with state requirements, any vendor ought to be able to offer insurance in any state. By allowing full competition in this market, insurance costs will go down and consumer satisfaction will go up.

2. Allow individuals to fully deduct health insurance premium payments from their tax returns under the current tax system. Businesses are allowed to take these deductions so why wouldn’t Congress allow individuals the same exemptions? As we allow the free market to provide insurance coverage opportunities to companies and individuals, we must also make sure that no one slips through the cracks simply because they cannot afford insurance. We must review basic options for Medicaid and work with states to ensure that those who want healthcare coverage can have it.

3. Allow individuals to use Health Savings Accounts (HSAs). Contributions into HSAs should be tax-free and should be allowed to accumulate. These accounts would become part of the estate of the individual and could be passed on to heirs without fear of any death penalty. These plans should be particularly attractive to young people who are healthy and can afford high-deductible insurance plans. These funds can be used by any member of a family without penalty. The flexibility and security provided by HSAs will be of great benefit to all who participate.

4. Require price transparency from all healthcare providers, especially doctors and healthcare organizations like clinics and hospitals. Individuals should be able to shop to find the best prices for procedures, exams or any other medical-related procedure.

5. Block-grant Medicaid to the states. Nearly every state already offers benefits beyond what is required in the current Medicaid structure. The state governments know their people best and can manage the administration of Medicaid far better without federal overhead. States will have the incentives to seek out and eliminate fraud, waste and abuse to preserve our precious resources.

6. Remove barriers to entry into free markets for drug providers that offer safe, reliable and cheaper products. Congress will need the courage to step away from the special interests and do what is right for America. Though the pharmaceutical industry is in the private sector, drug companies provide a public service. Allowing consumers access to imported, safe and dependable drugs from overseas will bring more options to consumers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I wouldn't strike any of those goals.

How do you get from point A to point Z?
    That is the rub and how we wound up with ACADEMY.

I certainly hope Trump is serious.
    Social Security excluded blacks and vote not originally e,tenses to women. ACA is the same. It needs reworking, we knew that 5 years ago.
    Throwing out the baby with the bath water helps no one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Talk the Talk
    Walk the Walk

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Unfortunately there's too much money in Georgia, and Deal veto'd it. Then he went a step further and told the GA House to pass a law that only the House could accept it not the Governor.
    Forever Fredi

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    57, tell me what parts of this you would strike:

1. Our elected representatives must eliminate the individual mandate. No person should be required to buy insurance unless he or she wants to.

2. Modify existing law that inhibits the sale of health insurance across state lines. As long as the plan purchased complies with state requirements, any vendor ought to be able to offer insurance in any state. By allowing full competition in this market, insurance costs will go down and consumer satisfaction will go up.

2. Allow individuals to fully deduct health insurance premium payments from their tax returns under the current tax system. Businesses are allowed to take these deductions so why wouldn’t Congress allow individuals the same exemptions? As we allow the free market to provide insurance coverage opportunities to companies and individuals, we must also make sure that no one slips through the cracks simply because they cannot afford insurance. We must review basic options for Medicaid and work with states to ensure that those who want healthcare coverage can have it.

3. Allow individuals to use Health Savings Accounts (HSAs). Contributions into HSAs should be tax-free and should be allowed to accumulate. These accounts would become part of the estate of the individual and could be passed on to heirs without fear of any death penalty. These plans should be particularly attractive to young people who are healthy and can afford high-deductible insurance plans. These funds can be used by any member of a family without penalty. The flexibility and security provided by HSAs will be of great benefit to all who participate.

4. Require price transparency from all healthcare providers, especially doctors and healthcare organizations like clinics and hospitals. Individuals should be able to shop to find the best prices for procedures, exams or any other medical-related procedure.

5. Block-grant Medicaid to the states. Nearly every state already offers benefits beyond what is required in the current Medicaid structure. The state governments know their people best and can manage the administration of Medicaid far better without federal overhead. States will have the incentives to seek out and eliminate fraud, waste and abuse to preserve our precious resources.

6. Remove barriers to entry into free markets for drug providers that offer safe, reliable and cheaper products. Congress will need the courage to step away from the special interests and do what is right for America. Though the pharmaceutical industry is in the private sector, drug companies provide a public service. Allowing consumers access to imported, safe and dependable drugs from overseas will bring more options to consumers.
    Only (2) really does anything about the cost of insurance. My problem with HSAs, is like IRAs and 401(k)s, the only people that can use them are people who have disposable income. You say the young would be down with that, but if the cost of higher education doesn't go down, they will continue to be saddled with huge loan payments in many cases and won't be able to put money into these accounts. I believe health insurance payments are partially deductible now (at least for the self-employed). I remember using that deduction in the late-1990s. I still think a case can be made that employer-provided health insurance should count as income. Basically, I'm against mucking up the tax code any further than it is mucked up now (and I'm already leery of the direct-to-taxpayer subsidies in the ACA, just to make it clear that I try to be consistent).

And please, no block granting to states of federal money. The effectiveness of those dollars would vary widely and it often would be absorbed through the backdoor for other state purposes. I hate witnessed that under Reagan and Clinton. Block grants become slush funds.

The bottom line is that I don't know how the 16 million who obtained coverage under the ACA are going to remain covered. Further, when I read Congressman Prince's plan, all I see is a continuation of the distortions on the provider side of the equation, both with medical providers and the insurance industry that allow those entities to charge an inflated price for services.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 12-01-2016 at 08:16 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-01-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Greg Sargent ‏@ThePlumLineGS 9m9 minutes ago

NEW numbers:

3 million are set to lose ACA subsidies *only* in red states.

In all states Trump won: 6 million:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

#governingishard
    Last edited by 57Brave; 12-12-2016 at 10:07 AM.