Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Election Coverage: Aka Every Way You Look at it You Lose.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Don't think he actually did.
    ??

Not seeing that. Do you have a link?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    As far as I can tell - and I could be wrong - with the MI numbers now in he has passed her in the popular vote.
    Everything I've seen suggests that you are. Clinton is already way ahead in the popular vote and there are apparently a whole bunch of votes left to count from CA and NY.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    300,000 taken off of voter rolls in Wisconsin.
    HRC lost by 27,000

I seem to remember this tactic used once in Florida.
    Kinda how we wound up in Iraq
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Everything I've seen suggests that you are. Clinton is already way ahead in the popular vote and there are apparently a whole bunch of votes left to count from CA and NY.

Yeah. Looks like it was either a bogus report or just one point of info in a fluid situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Popular vote is worthless to look at. If there were no electoral college trump would have campaigned in places like CA and NY. Clinton also would have campaigned more in traditional R states. We have no clue what the popular vote would have been in a non electoral college world. Each candidate played by the rules of the election which makes analysis of opoular vote unimportant.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Not a fan of blatant trolling, lies, and deceit.

For the second time in the history of this forum, I've decided to ban someone for a while.
    Well, you can get away with a lot here.

I am lenient on a nationwide board. I just gave my 2nd perma ban in 2 years. 8 total bans in that time. A Mod from the previous regime said I was nice because I don't let everyone piss me off and give them a benefit of the doubt. I guess this board taught me something Sav.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    I cant defend these cry in areas but if you're following news there's a lot of nastiness going on in the name of Trump. Whether it's elementary school high school or college.

A lot of these stunts are purely awful.

I sincerely hope Trump denounces these things really soon.
    I haven't been following that angle closely, but it was brought to my attention by someone the other day. I think it's important to point out that there is ample legal precedent for the First Amendment to not apply universally in public schools and from what I'm hearing, there are probably some high school principals with their hands full these days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Reince Priebus’s 2012 postmortem be damned, Donald Trump won the thing by appealing to white voters, and running an unabashed campaign of bigotry, racism, xenophobia, and

other odds and ends of nastiness. This wasn’t some short-lived populist revolt destined to fizzle out in the summer or disorganized anti-establishment rabble, nor was it a

catastrophic rending of the Grand Old Party. It wasn’t soul-searching. This was a juggernaut. It was a repudiation by the American electorate of the grand experiment of

diversity of the past few years, as symbolized by Barack Obama. It was the half of America, a half that if not bigoted itself seemed mighty fine with being bigotry-adjacent.

This is who we are.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Reince Priebus’s 2012 postmortem be damned, Donald Trump won the thing by appealing to white voters, and running an unabashed campaign of bigotry, racism, xenophobia, and

other odds and ends of nastiness. This wasn’t some short-lived populist revolt destined to fizzle out in the summer or disorganized anti-establishment rabble, nor was it a

catastrophic rending of the Grand Old Party. It wasn’t soul-searching. This was a juggernaut. It was a repudiation by the American electorate of the grand experiment of

diversity of the past few years, as symbolized by Barack Obama. It was the half of America, a half that if not bigoted itself seemed mighty fine with being bigotry-adjacent.

This is who we are.
    This line of thinking suggests to me that the left doesn't understand why it lost and is at risk of learning nothing from the results of last Tuesday.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acesfull86 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (11-14-2016), jpx7 (11-14-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I just think too many people on both sides are going off the deep end with their analysis. I don't buy the mandate stuff coming from the right. Bush 43 had a bigger mandate after 2002 than Trump has now. Obama had a bigger mandate in 2008 than Trump has now. How did those mandates turn out?

I don't buy the ultra-xenophobic angle being pushed by the left. Clearly, the campaign rhetoric on both sides had a scolding tone to it and some racists voted for Trump (and most of those same racists would have voted for the Republican candidate). I think the bigger issue for Democrats is that they seem to have forgotten bread-and-butter issues for a lot of folks.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (11-14-2016), BedellBrave (11-14-2016), jpx7 (11-14-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    This line of thinking suggests to me that the left doesn't understand why it lost and is at risk of learning nothing from the results of last Tuesday.
    true

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    And they probably won't until around this time next year. It's very possible that by then far-right governments will control France, The Netherlands, Austria, Italy, and even Germany.

We're witnessing a rebuke of western liberalism. Not necessarily because it's doomed, but because this generation of voters has chosen to reject it primarily on the basis of its shortcomings dealing with immigration and the economy.

It's easy to get caught up in the faux hysteria borne from dog-whistles like bigotry and racism, but this is much more about deglobalization.
    Last edited by Hawk; 11-14-2016 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Which bread and butter issues lhigher education or "the Wall '

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Which bread and butter issues lhigher education or "the Wall '
    There is no reason a miner of any mineral should vote Republican, yet somehow those who work in the extraction industry are turning Republican because the environmental movement has gotten so overbearingly 100% correct and influential in Democratic circles that miners have no choice to vote their self-interest. I honestly don't think that many people give a rip about immigration if they aren't feeling constantly threatened. We also have an educational system--both elementary/secondary and higher--that is leaving so many kids unprepared for their next step, whether that be four-year college, technical college, or going directly into the workforce. Those are the kinds of bread-and-butter issues I am talking about. We have battling pessimisms going on right now, but the Democratic pessimism is just got too gol-darn preachy this election cycle. Instead of saying "America is great and can be greater still," it chose a pessimistic "Don't vote for the nut" approach.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (11-14-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    There is no reason a miner of any mineral should vote Republican, yet somehow those who work in the extraction industry are turning Republican because the environmental movement has gotten so overbearingly 100% correct and influential in Democratic circles that miners have no choice to vote their self-interest. I honestly don't think that many people give a rip about immigration if they aren't feeling constantly threatened. We also have an educational system--both elementary/secondary and higher--that is leaving so many kids unprepared for their next step, whether that be four-year college, technical college, or going directly into the workforce. Those are the kinds of bread-and-butter issues I am talking about. We have battling pessimisms going on right now, but the Democratic pessimism is just got too gol-darn preachy this election cycle. Instead of saying "America is great and can be greater still," it chose a pessimistic "Don't vote for the nut" approach.
    I am seeing a lot of posts from the Left that are thinking the same thing as you, but those who are staunch like Steak Sauce are really living in their own fantasy world and don't even try to give anyone a chance. 500 and other Left side of center have valid points but they are willing to see it through and not throw hissy fits and I see the Right side agreeing with them. That is how it should be. They respect those on the Left and vice versa like you. 57 is beyond hope and deep down he is hoping that the EC overturn it in December.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Of course the "don't vote for that nut " approach !!
    You have been in politics. How would you run against Trump ?

He doesn't stop hitting . Jeb's campaign proved you can't have a discussion or make a policy point. You have to hit back quickly and often

The election in a nut shell ?
    Make America Great
    vs
    a 1000 page policy paper on how Minnesota miners are getting screwed

who do you think wins that ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    One more thing.

I don't think, on this board, since June have we had a substantive back and forth policy debate .
    As raucous as the health care debates was a few years ago there were a lot of pros and cons brought out. By a lot of people (most of them wrong :)
    Only ones this time getting any traction were her emails

Right or wrong ---- 3 million people being deported and a swath of the voting public worried about conversion therapy, and we never even discussed here where we discuss a lot of stuffs

The national bread and butter issues. If you live in Philadelphia,Roxbury or South Side Chicago a bread and butter issue is lead in the pipes.
    Equal the Northern Minn miners
    Since I started the thread on Flint I would bet there haven't been 5 other posters engage. And most of those were calling me names or blindly defending the (R) administration.

But, no discussion of the science involved, the way forward or even a day to day survival suggestion for those stuck there.

So what did Trump voters vote on ?
    The Wall -- Lock Her Up ---- Muslim Ban ---- Make America Great Again
    You can slice it , dice it and put lipstick on the pig. But at the end of the day all you have is a pig wearing lipstick
    Last edited by 57Brave; 11-14-2016 at 02:17 PM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Gwen Ifill dead at 61. Sad news.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-14-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Gwen Ifill dead at 61. Sad news.
    Yes it is. She had a face that people recognize and an attitude to back it up.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    And they probably won't until around this time next year. It's very possible that by then far-right governments will control France, The Netherlands, Austria, Italy, and even Germany.

We're witnessing a rebuke of western liberalism. Not necessarily because it's doomed, but because this generation of voters has chosen to reject it primarily on the basis of its shortcomings dealing with immigration and the economy.

It's easy to get caught up in the faux hysteria borne from dog-whistles like bigotry and racism, but this is much more about deglobalization.
    I think a lot of sensible things can be done in terms of immigration, but I do think we are going to be in for an era of very slow and uneven economic growth internationally and I don't know what can be done about it.